Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Senior housing announced for site on Detroit River

Does anyone have any additional information about a new housing project for seniors that recently broke ground on the river somewhere between Downtown and Belle Isle?
    Last edited by David L; August-14-12 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Does anyone have any additional information about a new housing project for seniors that recently broke ground on the river somewhere between Downtown and Belle Isle?
    I found this:

http://www.umrc.com/umrc/pdf/news_Cr...AwardsUMRC.pdf

There was a thread about it a while back too.

thanks for the quick response!

Since Curbed apparently doesn't read it's email, here's the status of this senior housing development.

Name:  Photo Nov 21, 3 25 22 PM.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  32.4 KBName:  Photo Nov 21, 3 25 26 PM.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  31.1 KBName:  Photo Nov 21, 3 25 42 PM.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  43.0 KBName:  Photo Nov 21, 3 25 47 PM.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  28.5 KBName:  Photo Nov 21, 3 26 31 PM.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  37.1 KBName:  Photo Nov 21, 3 27 01 PM.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  26.7 KB

Nice warm friendly looking building.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nice warm friendly looking building.
    Kind of looks like they're warehousing seniors. Hopefully there's a nicely landscaped patio facing the river.

WTF? Warm friendly building, my thoughts exactly. The white cladding is the defining touch.

While the reuse of one of the old Parke Davis buildings is nice... does Detroit REALLY need yet another granny stacker? Sometimes it seems like they outnumber the liquor stores.

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    While the reuse of one of the old Parke Davis buildings is nice... does Detroit REALLY need yet another granny stacker? Sometimes it seems like they outnumber the liquor stores.
    You're so-called "granny stacker" is absolutely necessary. As older buildings are taken out of service due to decline or lack of maintenance, or they just aren't cost effective anymore, there is an increasing need for senior housing. Also, as the "baby-boomers" [[like me) retire, we look for affordable, safe, and energy-efficient housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    You're so-called "granny stacker" is absolutely necessary. As older buildings are taken out of service due to decline or lack of maintenance, or they just aren't cost effective anymore, there is an increasing need for senior housing. Also, as the "baby-boomers" [[like me) retire, we look for affordable, safe, and energy-efficient housing.
    Well if a senior housing complex is where I wind up when I retire somebody please just go ahead and take me out of service.

Question: Are the seniors getting paid to live there?

I've driven by it multiple times looking @ the construction. I had no idea what it was going to be. It looks really institutional and depressing to me. It's blocks from the water. I believe there's a wonderful view of Jefferson, more warehouses, and the UAW Training Center.