Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default State Senate Republicans To Unemployed: Drop Dead

Michigan Senate Republicans today just banned unemployment compensation to unemployed State citizens who have exhausted their benefits but are in training for new employment. This would prevent the State from receiving funds from the Stimulus Act for this purpose.

Quote from Karen Bouffard, The Detroit News:

"...The legislation also would [[have) extend benefits for unemployed workers who have exhausted their benefits but are enrolled in an approved job training program.
    Enactment of the provisions would have enabled the state to receive $138.9 million in additional federal funding under the federal American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009, according to a House legislative analysis. However, Senate Republicans said the bills would increase costs for employers who contribute to the unemployment, and ultimately discourage businesses from locating in Michigan..."

I guess this means you don't agree with the GOP. I am not sure who is right on this and doubt you have the economic savvy to know either. At least these GOPers are at work look what Ensign and Sanford have been up to!

I just talked with Marvin today and I didn't hear him use those words, but I'll keep an eye on the mail the next few days.

Poor guys. They have to choose between free money to do nothing or subsidized loans and a part-time job to go to school. Choices choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    I guess this means you don't agree with the GOP. I am not sure who is right on this and doubt you have the economic savvy to know either. At least these GOPers are at work look what Ensign and Sanford have been up to!
    I know that this State has probably been hit harder than any other, and to tell the Feds "no, thanks" to 139 million dollars that could help people who are suffering is not in the best interest of those who are losing homes and medical care. An investment in these people is an investment in the State, as well. Why let another State take this money?

If these Republicans want to help the State save money, they [[and the Democrats) should begin and expedite the process of changing the State Constitution so that the redundant and bloated bicameral legislature is replaced by a smaller one house body. This would require a vote of the electorate but could potentially save millions of dollars annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I know that this State has probably been hit harder than any other, and to tell the Feds "no, thanks" to 139 million dollars that could help people who are suffering is not in the best interest of those who are losing homes and medical care. An investment in these people is an investment in the State, as well. Why let another State take this money?

If these Republicans want to help the State save money, they [[and the Democrats) should begin and expedite the process of changing the State Constitution so that the redundant and bloated bicameral legislature is replaced by a smaller one house body. This would require a vote of the electorate but could potentially save millions of dollars annually.
    now, now, who are we, the peons of the electorate, to deny career politicians the political stepping stone of a state house or senate seat?

Someone has to tell them to drop dead.

The benefits are meant as a last ditch back up not a salary.

Too many people taking the check until they get around to getting a job.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post

Obviously you haven't had to look for a job. There are none.

Just Amazed, I am amazed,

There are plenty of jobs for qualified applicants. We just hired people last week.

One of the qualifications would be getting off the couch, targeting the companies that you think are a good fit and applying.

lilpup Guest

How about for overqualified applicants who want to stay in Michigan? I've applied to many, many jobs I'm capable of but can't even get a call for an interview.

[[I guess I lucked out when the newspaper delivery company didn't ask for a resume or much information at all when I applied.)
    Last edited by lilpup; June-24-09 at 08:11 PM.

Well, thanks for the death wish, Irish Mafia. Maybe, before I pass away, we could sit down for a cup of Irish Coffee, first.
    I worked for more than four decades, drawing unemployment for a few months in the 1983 recession. Never thought I would be in this position, looking for a job at the age of sixty in the middle of the largest economic meltdown since the [[first) great depression, after two consecutive employers moved operations to Mexico and India. I am surviving by doing asphalt patching, roofing, boat detailing, and any odd job that can be found. It is difficult work at this age, but I am fortunate that I have good health and managed to save an emergency fund. Others are losing homes and their health. There are precious few jobs out there, believe me.
    I am looking. Have an interview tomorrow, as a matter of fact.
    If I do find a job, am I allowed to live, or should I, as you suggest, drop dead?

More than a few Grand Oil Party members will find out first hand what extended unemployment is like after the next election.

I love how some people here think the unemployed are lazy and not seeking work. I guess you feel as Scrooge did, let them die and decrease the surplus population. Nice attitude.

Over the last few years, several members of my family including myself have found themselves unemployed, jobs sent overseas, companies gone bankrupt, etc. I was fortunate to find work after many months of desperately searching, but many are still without. Until you get a dose of humility and are out of work, don't sit in your almighty chair and judge and chastise others. You don't know what people's circumstances are, you just buy that bull that the elite in their towers spew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    We were up to our asses in unemployment debt a long time before we become ten asses beyond our heads. Is someone saying that the additional money would have required zero contribution from the state? When you're in debt so deep you risk losing your house, you don't go on a shopping spree even if everything is half off. Michigan will never ever recover all of the lost jobs. We are going to lose people or permenantly have the highest unemployment. We were living unsustainably and putting our head in the sand can't change it.

I've seen fire and I've seen rain, I've lived forced OT and layoffs, but I never thought we'd see this humility and reality again.
    Last edited by mjs; June-25-09 at 01:16 AM.

There is nothing worse than looking for a job and being told over and over again you're overqualified and won't be happy here. I learned my lesson with that after 911 and moving back to Michigan after working in NYC. I hope to never again have to look for a job in Michigan; it's painful.

I can't even imagine what it's like now.

I would like to see a whole lot more thought put into what to do with these people before they are laid off. Jobs become obsolete, global economy etc etc. I understand all that horseshit. But some one needs to be thinking about getting these people ready for work where there are positions that need filling. This should not be the sole responsibility of the laid off person. It should be shared between the employer and the State with the employer picking up the larger piece.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; June-25-09 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    Sanford tangoed with the Obama administration about strings that were attached to unemployment benefits. He did not reject all Porkulus money. Only the free money that he didn't think S. Carolina could match. Eventually, Congress went around Sanford by giving it directly to S. Carolina's legislature to distribute.

This is a classic case of unlimited wants and needs confronting limited means. The solution is simple. Raise taxes and/or cut back on State cost sharing aid to local communities. So what's the problem?

oladub is correct. To get the short term unemployment Fed monies, states have to permanently increase their state funded unemployment benefits. Other states are deciding that is not in their fiscal interest as they would have to raise taxes or cut other benefits to do so.

Blarf Guest

Just Amazed, I am amazed,
    There are plenty of jobs for qualified applicants. We just hired people last week.
    What about those who aren't qualified?

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    What about those who aren't qualified?
    According to the poster, they should drop dead.

Or do like many of the qualified people did and live frugally for a few years, work a low paying job, and take advantage of Federal loans while they become qualified. Or do like the greedy trained people always do and move for a job.

ccbatson Guest

In the big picture, unemployment benefits are interpreted as a license not to work, a major disincentive.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    In the big picture, unemployment benefits are interpreted as a license not to work, a major disincentive.
    More likely a crutch to help them make ends met until they find new employment. Stop trying to spread right wing propaganda.

ccbatson Guest

If you get a chance to talk to someone receiving unemployment, probe their motivation to quickly get back to work, even at a very low paying job, before, and after the benefits run out. I bet that 98% or more are less enthused prior to the necessity demanding that they get to work.

If you get a chance to talk to someone receiving unemployment, probe their motivation to quickly get back to work, even at a very low paying job, before, and after the benefits run out. I bet that 98% or more are less enthused prior to the necessity demanding that they get to work.
    Hmmm, so does that mean a person who loses a good paying job with benefits through no fault of thier own should refuse unemployment and take the first burger flipping job that comes along?

only by some who have no critical thinking skills, or who have surrendered common sense to dogma, or who are doctors who think empathy is "illogical" [[or was it "irrational"?) or someone who fits all three of the above

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast