Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Different Take on the Packard

I've been a long time reader and fan of this forum, but never contributed before. Anyway, I realize threads relating to the Packard have been quite abundant on this forum, but I thought I'd share this since it involves a different "spin" on the building's use and has some great photos. It's a short article about a small group of skateboarders from Detroit and Ontario who created skateable obstacles using trash and objects found at the abandoned site.

http://www.shredtilyerdead.com/packardproject.html

On a side note, there have been quite a few attacks at the Packard Plant as of late due to the huge influx of clueless "tourists" to the site. Several people have been beat up and had their money/valuables/cars, etc. stolen. In addition, Detroit Police/Border Patrol have been frequenting the premises and handing out trespassing tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedetroit View Post
    On a side note, there have been quite a few attacks at the Packard Plant as of late due to the huge influx of clueless "tourists" to the site. Several people have been beat up and had their money/valuables/cars, etc. stolen. In addition, Detroit Police/Border Patrol have been frequenting the premises and handing out trespassing tickets.
    So even after being warned to stay out you not only proceeded but also carried gasoline into a known arson complex,you are wearing protective head gear i hope,or you need to start.

Canada does not have any empty buildings that you can do this in? From one outsider to another these people have enough on their hands and really do not need those coming from other cities,states or even countries adding more to the pile.Have a little respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Have a little respect.
    Never said this was me or that I was involved in any way......

Anyway, I am not from Canada and neither were most of the people in this aside from the person that wrote the article. Regardless, these skateboarders swept, shoveled, and cleaned large areas of the Packard and built things out of existing garbage and debris to be used. How exactly is this adding to the pile?

One last thing I wanted to add on to this post. That small fire was started by a homeless man hanging around the area that stopped to watch. They did not handle or carry gasoline anywhere. They did thoroughly put out and extinguish the fire though after standing around it for a few moments.
    Last edited by skatedetroit; August-11-12 at 09:15 AM.

Occurrence Guest

Hipsters are bad enough, but now skateboarders? People still skateboard?

And who did you hear from about people being "attacked" and border patrol handing out trespassing tickets? Border Patrol are Federal, they wouldn't be anywhere near the Packard Plant unless they were chasing someone who illegally crossed the river. They certainly wouldn't be issuing trespassing tickets at a place that is wide open like Swiss cheese.

Where are you getting your information?
    Last edited by Occurrence; August-10-12 at 11:07 AM.

Creative reuse. I kind of like it. Remember Splatball City and the raves? Packard is also the largest art gallery in the metro and site of countless movies and documentaries.

Above all it is a place that makes people think, maybe even forces them to think. Think of everything from what went wrong to what can be in the present and future.

Creative interpretations fascinate me. Even if they are not sustainable, I can appreciate the thought and effort.

The border patrol, huh?
    The Packard plant is a ruin that cant be salvaged, at least in my opinion.
    If a bunch of skateborders want to play around let them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Creative reuse.
    YES! That was the idea behind the project/article and the reason why I posted it.

I see US Customs & Border Patrol vehicles almost daily near Monroe, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post

And who did you hear from about people being "attacked" and border patrol handing out trespassing tickets? Border Patrol are Federal, they wouldn't be anywhere near the Packard Plant unless they were chasing someone who illegally crossed the river. They certainly wouldn't be issuing trespassing tickets at a place that is wide open like Swiss cheese.

Where are you getting your information?
    Yes......skateboarding is actually bigger than ever, including in the Detroit area.

As for the Border Patrol, both myself and a friend have witnessed them lurking the premises on different occasions recently. I was baffled by it as well. I have not heard anything about Border Patrol handing out trespassing tickets [[I apologize for that misleading sentence in my original post), but I know of for a fact that Detroit Police have been giving out trespassing tickets lately.

As for the attacks, I met someone this past week that had his nose broken and was robbed along with two of his buddies while there. Two days prior to this, my friend that was passing by saw the police there interviewing people about two girls that had just been beat up and had their car stolen. Apparently instances such as these have been happening with some regularity the past couple of weeks - but I only heard that secondhand.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    hmmm, maybe they are looking out for those evil Ohioans from illegally crossing our border.

Probably because they house their inmates at the Monroe County Jail.

Justification always works best ,welcome to Detroit feel free to scrap,burn,tag,trespass and salvage any building that in your opinion will never be rebuilt it is okay as long as it is creative,just do not do any of the above to my house or car because that would be different.

Under no means please do not patronize our already established local business as they are owned by rich people who probably do not employ or contribute to the local economy anyways,but on the off chance that you are one of those who wish to visit the city and choose to partake in skateboarding activity I am providing a list of sanctioned skateboard parks for your convenience,helmet required.

Best Skate Parks In Metro Detroit

Looking for a place to skate without getting hassled by the police or property owners? Maybe you’re a parent searching for a safe place for your kids to skate or rollerblade. Scope out our list of the best skate parks in the Metro Detroit area. Get full details on the rates by checking the websites. Some of the pay to skate places offer membership discounts. Oh yeah! One more thing … don’t forget your helmet!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/top-list...metro-detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Probably because they house their inmates at the Monroe County Jail.
    Maybe, but they're often seen off the highway in Luna Pier, at the weigh station south of Monroe, and pulled off to the side of I-75 like you'd see any other law enforcement vehicle.

Justification always works best ,welcome to Detroit feel free to scrap,burn,tag,trespass and salvage any building that in your opinion will never be rebuilt it is okay as long as it is creative,just do not do any of the above to my house or car because that would be different.

Under no means please do not patronize our already established local business as they are owned by rich people who probably do not employ or contribute to the local economy anyways,but on the off chance that you are one of those who wish to visit the city and choose to partake in skateboarding activity I am providing a list of sanctioned skateboard parks for your convenience,helmet required.

Looking for a place to skate without getting hassled by the police or property owners? Maybe you’re a parent searching for a safe place for your kids to skate or rollerblade. Scope out our list of the best skate parks in the Metro Detroit area. Get full details on the rates by checking the websites. Some of the pay to skate places offer membership discounts. Oh yeah! One more thing … don’t forget your helmet!

Growing up in the 80s, none of the skaters I knew cared about being a choirboy. It's not justification if you just don't care.

haha thanks Richard!

if someone could get some major investors, and turn the packard grounds into a family sports complex, including skating.. preserve certain segments for a tourist exhibit but otherwise totally re-vision the area..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    if someone could get some major investors, and turn the packard grounds into a family sports complex, including skating.. preserve certain segments for a tourist exhibit but otherwise totally re-vision the area..
    Sounds good but it is more based on community needs which are good paying jobs and training , given it would take $10 million to purchase and partial rehabilitation and put back what has been destroyed,as an entertainment venue it has no return no matter how you dice it up,maybe in the past when it was payed for but when you start dumping 60 mill into a property the overhead becomes pricy and narrows the options.

Shollin Guest

Maybe, but they're often seen off the highway in Luna Pier, at the weigh station south of Monroe, and pulled off to the side of I-75 like you'd see any other law enforcement vehicle.
    Probably to check the trucks who maybe smuggling people/drugs into Canada.

after 9-11 their scope was changed to cover border to border and everything in-between.

I have noticed that Capitol Park in downtown Detroit has been popular with urban skateboarders. Lots of concrete edges to grind and IMO way to much pavement for a park. Should be more greenspace but good for skate boarders.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Probably to check the trucks who maybe smuggling people/drugs into Canada.
    I'm sure there's a reason. I'm sure there's a reason they were around Packard, too.

Monroe in directly on Lake Erie, so I guess it makes sense to see Border Patrol there as it's a straight run across the open water to Canada.

There are a LOT of foreign tourists to the Packard ruins. Maybe that's the BP's excuse, not that they ever think they need any.

I'm looking forward to the article about the poor suburban kids that have been beaten up or robbed at the Packard. I'm sure it will be carefully worded to make it clear that they weren't doing anything wrong and were just the victims of big, bad, scary Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Skateboarding is huge now. And a lot more multicultural than when it was last popular in the late 80s/early 90s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast