Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I'll add to that it was also the stomping grounds of all kinds of predatory drug dealers later. Maybe already back then? [[If someone knows, I'm curious when drugs became a problem in the neighborhood.)

There were a lot of factors, clearly.

I wonder how much keeping the streetcars would have helped.

I'm also interested in any other theories.
    Houston-Whittier from Hayes to Kelly to Harper was a vibrant and busy shopping area in the 40s and 50s. There was never a streetcar there. Today it is a wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post

I don't remember Hanson Chevrolet but my folks won a TV in a drawing there in the early 50's when they were a new product.

That was a very big deal. TVs were expensive. My mom worked in the office at Hanson Chevrolet and Jefferson Chevrolet, too. My uncle sold cars at Ewald Chevrolet.

Thanks very much for these lists. My mother grew up just off the corner of Mack and Alter Rd and I remember taking the street car line. It would stop in front of their house turn around and head back downtown on Mack Avenue. I'm writing a novel that covers 1927-1955 in that area. I was just a kid in the fifties, but have heard lots of stories. If anyone has photographs of Mack Avenue I'd be happy to see them.

Hi Exequar,
    I am a novelist who grew up in East Detroit, but my mother grew up on Alter Rd one building south of Mack Avenue. It's now a parking lot for a drugstore strip mall. I'm writing a novel that takes place in Detroit, home base right ther on Alter Rd, 1927-1950. I have many photos of that corner with the 8 children who grew up there and brought their grand children back every week. But I don't have photos of the stores along Mack Avenue during the depression and during WWII. My grand mother used to take me to an A & P and Kresge's and Sanders but that was in the 50s. I don't live in Detroit any more but will be there for a few weeks in August. If you have any suggestions where I might find photographs of interest, please respond. Also does anyone remember The Drop Inn Bar on Mack Avenue between Alter and Wayburn? I'd like to find the address.

I am a novelist who grew up in East Detroit, but my mother grew up on Alter Rd one building south of Mack Avenue. It's now a parking lot for a drugstore strip mall. I'm writing a novel that takes place in Detroit, home base right ther on Alter Rd, 1927-1950. I have many photos of that corner with the 8 children who grew up there and brought their grand children back every week. But I don't have photos of the stores along Mack Avenue during the depression and during WWII. My grand mother used to take me to an A & P and Kresge's and Sanders but that was in the 50s. I don't live in Detroit any more but will be there for a few weeks in August. If you have any suggestions where I might find photographs of interest, please respond. Also does anyone remember The Drop Inn Bar on Mack Avenue between Alter and Wayburn? I'd like to find the address.

Gina, have you tried Virtual Motor City photo archive? Also, you might check the Burton Collection at the Detroit Public Library.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5