Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Surface of the Ambassador Bridge question

we are putting together a group for the Freep Marathon relay in Oct..we have a guy who is scared of heights and is wondering if the road surface of the bridge [[the leg he is running) is open where you can see down to the water or is it a fully concrete surface like a road?

I had a similar thought concerning the marathon and remember it being solid the last time I crossed. Here's a view from Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=detroi...gl=us&t=h&z=18

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    we are putting together a group for the Freep Marathon relay in Oct..we have a guy who is scared of heights and is wondering if the road surface of the bridge [[the leg he is running) is open where you can see down to the water or is it a fully concrete surface like a road?
    A little of both! It's a solid pavement, but as I remember from walking across a few years ago, there's significant deterioration on the edge. Serious pitting and even a few holes you could look down through if you stood directly over them. But the footpath itself is solid, opaque, ground - not grating.

The road surface on the Ambassador Bridge is solid asphalt, no steel grating.

Unlike the Mackinac Bridge where the center two lanes are steel grating, primarily for to reduce wind forces on the bridge, enabling the wind to blow through.

During the Detroit Marathon, runners use the two lanes of travel that are normally used for traffic headed into Canada. The other two lanes that typically hold traffic coming into the US are use for one lane of traffic in each direction.

Runners are on the road surface, and not allowed on the concrete sidewalk that is next to the railing.

That being said, its a cool experience, but perhaps not so much for someone afraid of heights. Obviously if you turn left or right, you will realize you are 150 feet above the water. Since the bridge is close to the start, the pack of runners is usually very tight. If he just keeps looking ahead on the bridge in the swarm of runners, it probably will not be a big deal.

I suggest he checks out the google maps streetview to make a decision.

Can he run a different leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Can he run a different leg?
    There's only 1 course for the full marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    There's only 1 course for the full marathon.
    Yes, but they're doing a relay team -- 5 runners doing one leg of 3 to 7 miles each. So what I mean is, could one of the other four runners do the leg over the bridge?

Yes, but they're doing a relay team -- 5 runners doing one leg of 3 to 7 miles each. So what I mean is, could one of the other four runners do the leg over the bridge?
    Whoops, I missed that in the OP.

hehe sound like they are setting him up for the bridge, perhaps to get him to run faster.
    I got an idea, DONT LOOK DOWN

Thanks all! i appreciate it. He said he's just going to handle it..we suggested a leg switch but hes viewing it as a challenge, and he wont look side to side

The Ambassador Bridge is being re-decked. The new deck appears to be concrete.

I also noticed that the new railing being installed is lower than the old rail. It goes up perhaps half way or 2/3's at most of the height of the old railing.

I didn't notice if they're retaining the walkway but it's definitely not maintained in the middle of the span. They've squeezed all the lanes over to the west while construction continues on the eastern side along the railing. The Canadian bound truck lane currently is right up against the railing.

Thanks all! i appreciate it. He said he's just going to handle it..we suggested a leg switch but hes viewing it as a challenge, and he wont look side to side
    Perhaps some blinders that horses wear.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    The Ambassador Bridge is being re-decked. The new deck appears to be concrete.

I also noticed that the new railing being installed is lower than the old rail. It goes up perhaps half way or 2/3's at most of the height of the old railing.

I didn't notice if they're retaining the walkway but it's definitely not maintained in the middle of the span. They've squeezed all the lanes over to the west while construction continues on the eastern side along the railing. The Canadian bound truck lane currently is right up against the railing.
    I'd sure like to know if pedestrian traffic is a requirement of the bridge's charter. I know he doesn't care much about being sued, but I'll bet its possible to force him to make pedestrian access free.

On that subject, the new bridge should have this requirement, especially for bicycles. Canada's crazy about zero-emissions.

side note..does anyone know of any running clubs/groups downtown? I need a little motivation for this race ...translation ...i suck at running and i signed up for a race