Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Sequestration

Default Sequestration

My conservative friends, riddle me this: Government is evil and is the one thing that is preventing our economy from growing and people from having the ability to pursue happiness and government needs to be cut quick and dramatically in order to ensure our nation survives, so why is the military off limits? And since when did government create any jobs? Wouldn't the people that lost jobs due to cuts in military spending just go out and get a job in the private sector and keep on moving on like nothing ever happened?

My liberal friends, answer me this: Even if we taxed the wealthy at a 100% tax rate we still would not have enough money to drive down the deficit, don't we have to make some alterations to entitlements like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid? Don't we have to make some other cuts to government spending as well? What cuts would you be willing to live with?

To everyone, Sequestration is unlikely to take effect and a deal is likely to be cut....what kind of deal would you like to see? Major spending cuts, tax loopholes closed, tax rate increases, privatization, etc?

Article about Sequestration from Politico: http://dyn.politico.com/members/foru...readid=6903598

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    My conservative friends, riddle me this: Government is evil and is the one thing that is preventing our economy from growing and people from having the ability to pursue happiness and government needs to be cut quick and dramatically in order to ensure our nation survives, so why is the military off limits? And since when did government create any jobs? Wouldn't the people that lost jobs due to cuts in military spending just go out and get a job in the private sector and keep on moving on like nothing ever happened?

My liberal friends, answer me this: Even if we taxed the wealthy at a 100% tax rate we still would not have enough money to drive down the deficit, don't we have to make some alterations to entitlements like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid? Don't we have to make some other cuts to government spending as well? What cuts would you be willing to live with?

To everyone, Sequestration is unlikely to take effect and a deal is likely to be cut....what kind of deal would you like to see? Major spending cuts, tax loopholes closed, tax rate increases, privatization, etc?
    For starters they could go after the $60,000,000,000+ in Medicare Fraud every year. Clawback any capital that is left in these thieves possession, all while creating 1,000's of jobs to regulate/oversee, i.e. The Medicare Fraud Protection Agency.

Additionally, the Military budget has a few bucks to spare I think. Maybe we can look at the $$ pissed away on wasteful, unnecessary technologies. O, and we could always look at which nations we GIVE billions of dollars to every year. Do our world interests and those countries' interests align? Kinda an important question. Finally regarding foreign policy..... how long do we plan on keeping boots on the ground in the Middle East? That's not an investment, it's an expense.

Next we could look at the trade imbalance. Don't know a whole lot about it, but I think the popular belief is we are loosing a lot of value on that one.

Finally, I would take a close account of the Finance Industry. Especially those companies and jobs that DON'T ADD ANY VALUE to the economy, but instead take on the role of executive middle man. Those who take huge swaths of money out of national cash flow by simply pushing paper. I'd call that a loss leader imo.

How about that?

I also agree that top earners should pay more, or in other words, pay what they used to pay. Also, close loopholes and raise Corporate rates. Also tax companies additionally that ship jobs overseas, and extend tax relief to those who in-source, provide adequate health care and those that reinvest in their companies [[opposed to those who siphon the profits off - overseas mainly). It reminds me of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books from the past.

By increasing jobs and wages we can FURTHER increase Federal Revenue. $$ that is not even being considered by people who preach the tired, used up line that a "100% tax rate on top earners would never even scathe the National Debt".

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    By increasing jobs and wages we can FURTHER increase Federal Revenue. $$ that is not even being considered by people who preach the tired, used up line that a "100% tax rate on top earners would never even scathe the National Debt".
    With the ultimate irony, of course, that if the economy is growing, and revenues are growing as a percentage of GDP, then overall tax rates can be reduced.

If the economy is stagnant or shrinking, the masses are earning low wages, and spending is being cut, tax rates have to be increased [[a non-starter for about 95% of the populace). Either that, or deficits will increase. In other words, this sequestration was designed to force the GOP to prioritize its heretofore conflicting goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    As I've said on here before, borrowing costs are at historic lows and the economy is still crappy. There's absolutely no reason for us to be trying to cut the deficit right now.

It is interesting to see so many Tea Party types here in DC bitch about defense cuts when these same assholes were calling for anything and everything to be cut several years ago. Why the sudden change of heart? You could slash $50 billion out of the DoD budget and not blink.

With all that said, I see contractor lay offs in DC on a daily basis these days. Even when these body shops have the belief that their contract or BPA will get extended, it usually doesn't. Everything is on hold, especially with the end-of-year rush starting right about now.
    Last edited by Patrick; August-08-12 at 04:43 PM.