Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Central Collegiate Academy

I have an upcoming interview at this location. What is the surrounding area like here? I am a new transplant to Detroit as of September, so I have not been here. Thanks guys!

Not sure were that is, maybe its the old Central High?
    If so thats a real old school

I hope you're up for a challenge its one of the worst performing schools in the state and is transitioning to the EAA.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hope you're up for a challenge its one of the worst performing schools in the state and is transitioning to the EAA.
    Well, thanks for the heads up! I am going in for some clerical openings rather than teaching. Hopefully, my car and what not would be relatively secure!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Hopefully, my car and what not would be relatively secure!
    Remember the rules:

• Leave no visible valuables in the car, including shopping bags, boxes, CDs, DVDs, change, etc.

• If at all possible, drive a stick-shift. If that's not possible, consider having a kill switch installed.

• If you have a trunk cable, keep it disengaged.

• Do not park near sandbags or loose bricks if at all possible.

• If your car is really a stick, and there's nothing of value in it, you might consider not locking the doors. Save you getting your glass repaired in the event some fool wants to make sure there's nothing in there.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Not sure were that is, maybe its the old Central High?
    If so thats a real old school
    My parents graduated from Central in 1931 and it was an old school then.

DN you forgot about keeping a hungry pitbull in the car!

That is the old Central and right in the belly of the giant.
    A jobs a job, right jpbolla!
    Best of luck on your interview

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    DN you forgot about keeping a hungry pitbull in the car!
    Haha. Yeah, if you have fluid sprayers and wipers on the INSIDE! Those slobber-marks and nose-prints are a hazard!

No car is safe in ANY DPS parking lot. Ever. Catalytic [[spelling??) converters routinely are stolen, as are wheels and airbags. You are better to get a hooptie and drive that in to work. Cameras and security are no match for the thieves in the parking lots. Having a "club" on your steering wheel is also useless. The worse your car looks, the better chance you have of coming out of work and spotting it in the parking lot. Park CLOSE to the building and right outside of someone's classroom, if possible. Locking hubcap wheel thingys is also good measure but not a foolproof plan.

Also, if you don't want it stolen don't take it to work with you. Take all CDs out of the car, as well as any electronic anything. If you can, get a car with NO radio or one that the faceplate can be removed. Do NOT have speakers in the car [[except those that are factory installed). Locking things in the trunk is pointless. Just don't have it in the car, period. Only keep about a 1/4 tank of gas or less in the car at any given time. It increases the chances that the thieves will run out of gas relatively close to your place of employment and will just abandon the car when it does run out of gas.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; August-07-12 at 10:20 PM.

Only keep about a 1/4 tank of gas or less in the car at any given time. It increases the chances that the thieves will run out of gas
    It also greatly increases the chances of YOU running out of gas in a very unpleasant location.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    No car is safe in ANY DPS parking lot. Ever. Catalytic [[spelling??) converters routinely are stolen, as are wheels and airbags. You are better to get a hooptie and drive that in to work. Cameras and security are no match for the thieves in the parking lots.

Also, if you don't want it stolen don't take it to work with you. Take all CDs out of the car, as well as any electronic anything. If you can, get a car with NO radio or one that the faceplate can be removed. Do NOT have speakers in the car [[except those that are factory installed). Locking things in the trunk is pointless. Just don't have it in the car, period. Only keep about a 1/4 tank of gas or less in the car at any given time. It increases the chances that the thieves will run out of gas relatively close to your place of employment and will just abandon the car when it does run out of gas.
    Thanks everyone! I was not at all familiar with the area. I stopped by a social services dept I saw on Rosa Parks and asked a couple for directions. They were really helpful and nice. It was quite funny though, they were taken aback when I approached them and kinda looked at each other when I told them where I was going like "why is this skinny white kid all dressed up to go to Central."

On my way down there I passed by some interesting neighborhoods. One street would have gorgeous brick houses with beautiful flower gardens and kids playing outside, the next block would be a burned out mess. Strangest thing I've ever seen! The parking didn't look TOO bad, there was specific faculty parking and the actual facility was quite aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

I currently have a piece of junk old jeep [[ a 1998) but that probably would make it easier to take. No cd player or speakers, and nothing is in the vehicle. My only concern is that the thing is so old I would be nervous about getting halfway to work and having the damn thing die in the middle of God only knows where lol.

The "bus stop" if that's what you would call it, certainly did not appear to be an option and was a far walk from the school. No thanks on that one! When I got there, I was told that this may not even be the school I would be assigned to. The lowest performing schools in the city have been assigned a private company to hire their clerical employees, however, the pay is really quite decent which is out of the ordinary for an "outsourced" company. They provide benefits and paid time off. We shall see!

I certainly wasn't afraid for my safety. I live in Saginaw and am used to the shambled neighborhoods. Also, hours are 7-4, so definitely day light all year.

I am nervous because I would hate to have to come up with money for a new car right after moving. That was my only hang up. I have a few interviews downtown and would really prefer that so I can utilize the People Mover and bus system, but hey..a job's a job right!?

98 Jeep ? LoL is it a Cherokee ? Those are a favorites of thieves. A hidden toggle switch to disable the ignition coil or starter motor might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    98 Jeep ? LoL is it a Cherokee ? Those are a favorites of thieves. A hidden toggle switch to disable the ignition coil or starter motor might be a good idea.
    LOL.......damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    A friend of mine living on the outskirts of Chicago had his car stolen 3 times in the first month he was there. He started taking the battery out every night lol.

What do they say " Gone in 9 Seconds". Unreal.

I still leave the keys hanging in my cars half the time I park round here.

^um, why?^

taking the battery out every night? what a pain in the posterior! Tell him to get a kill switch. it's only $125 or so to get one installed.

Very true...I have never had an issue with my truck with the exception of a busted out back window once [[and they didn't take anything from the inside...not even the change in the console). But, just about everyone I know has had something happen to their vehicle at some point. I don't know how I've escaped the wrath of the thieves in the parking lots, other than no one wants my stuff [[it's a super hooptie), nothing works on it. Windows don't work, radio is on the fritz, it sucks gas, the tires are not what anyone would want [[I don't even want them), and I doubt it has an air bag. Shoot, the stupid thing doesn't really lock, it just looks locked. Guess I have just been blessed enough to drive a piece of crap a thief wouldn't even steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It also greatly increases the chances of YOU running out of gas in a very unpleasant location.

I also drive an older than dirt vehicle. I have had it die several times on my way home from work. I keep towing and roadside service on it through my insurance carrier. Amazingly, the tow trucks come faster than an ambulance and police in Detroit. I've never been kept waiting longer than 10 minutes or so. No one has ever bothered me in the city. I usually am wearing a school t-shirt, so that helps. Being in clerical, you may not be able to do that. I wouldn't worry too much about your car. If they take it, they take it. If you are worried about it breaking down, pop for the roadside assistance...it's a lifesaver and they respond faster if you have it as opposed to you calling a tow on your own.

Thanks everyone! I was not at all familiar with the area. I stopped by a social services dept I saw on Rosa Parks and asked a couple for directions. They were really helpful and nice. It was quite funny though, they were taken aback when I approached them and kinda looked at each other when I told them where I was going like "why is this skinny white kid all dressed up to go to Central."

On my way down there I passed by some interesting neighborhoods. One street would have gorgeous brick houses with beautiful flower gardens and kids playing outside, the next block would be a burned out mess. Strangest thing I've ever seen! The parking didn't look TOO bad, there was specific faculty parking and the actual facility was quite aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

I currently have a piece of junk old jeep [[ a 1998) but that probably would make it easier to take. No cd player or speakers, and nothing is in the vehicle. My only concern is that the thing is so old I would be nervous about getting halfway to work and having the damn thing die in the middle of God only knows where lol.

The "bus stop" if that's what you would call it, certainly did not appear to be an option and was a far walk from the school. No thanks on that one! When I got there, I was told that this may not even be the school I would be assigned to. The lowest performing schools in the city have been assigned a private company to hire their clerical employees, however, the pay is really quite decent which is out of the ordinary for an "outsourced" company. They provide benefits and paid time off. We shall see!

I certainly wasn't afraid for my safety. I live in Saginaw and am used to the shambled neighborhoods. Also, hours are 7-4, so definitely day light all year.

I am nervous because I would hate to have to come up with money for a new car right after moving. That was my only hang up. I have a few interviews downtown and would really prefer that so I can utilize the People Mover and bus system, but hey..a job's a job right!?

I live in Saginaw and am used to the shambled neighborhoods.
    You will be fine, though this is another level up. Get to know your area and surroundings asap.

Central HS was built in the 1920's along with Roosevelt Elementary [[since torn down) and Durfee Middle Schools. It was to have been a national model for the educational park concept.

Along with Northern High School, Central was the neighborhood HS for much of Detroit's Jewish community before that community moved northward to the Mumford area.

jpbollma, take some time to drive through the nearby Boston-Edison neighborhood. It's one of the country's largest residential historic districts.

it is sad that the entire teaching staff of DPS is not recalled yet but you have a job lead from out of town...

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworthfarms View Post
    it is sad that the entire teaching staff of DPS is not recalled yet but you have a job lead from out of town...
    Actually, I was even a little taken aback in the interview. I asked the recruiter how many openings they were looking to fill and I was told 52!