Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Here we go again... White Supremist shoots Sikh temple kills 7

This stuff really sickens me. Not only is this guy sick he is ignorant with a capital I.

It seems that our culture with the help of the right wing promotes and encourages ignorance. They devalue education except for those that can afford it. They put in place NCLB but don't fund it properly. These people with there limited education tend to put people in a box so they can justify there warped views on a people or group of people.

Like, because these folks wear turbans and have beards they must be Taliban and therefore Muslins. And of course this dude hates all Muslins.

Little did he realize that Sikh's and Muslins have gone to battle with each other thru out history.

This kind of reminds me of the Vincent Chin case back in the early 80's.

Other than the guy being mentally ill, as a society we need to re-think our values as it applies to education and understanding other peoples cultures.

Um, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but muslin is a cotton fabric; Muslim is a religion. Sikh's may wear muslin...
    Last edited by jcole; August-06-12 at 12:04 PM.

I was really sickened to hear this. There are distinct differences between Sikh's, Hindus, Arabs, and others. Crazies like this go on the nut to kill - lumping people together in their killing spree.

And do we really know what his motive agenda was? I hope that is determined.

Sikh's and Muslins have gone to battle with each other thru out history
    Not sure what that has to do with anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Um, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but muslin is a cotton fabric; Muslim is a religion. Sikh's may wear muslin...
    My bad I meant Muslim

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with anything either.
    What that means is that this is not the first time people have mistaken the two religions. The Sikh's have had problems with dumb Americans misplacing their hate, the statement was only to draw a contrast between the two religions

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was really sickened to hear this. There are distinct differences between Sikh's, Hindus, Arabs, and others. Crazies like this go on the nut to kill - lumping people together in their killing spree.

And do we really know what his motive agenda was? I hope that is determined.
    I think its pretty apparent, he was a white supremist.

I haven't yet read if this guy was shooting Sikhs because he thought they were either non-white or Muslims. They are obviously white non-Muslims. Aside, though, from possible ignorance, hate, and/or a personal loose screw, I am embarrassed to have this happen in Wisconsin. We, in Wisconsin, haven't gotten over Jeffrey Dahmer yet whose weapons of choice were drugs and knives. Public education is pretty good in Wisconsin so I don't think poor schools explains any ignorance if the shooter went to Wisconsin schools.
    Last edited by oladub; August-06-12 at 01:11 PM.

Sikh Temple Shooter ID'd as Wade Michael Page

By Andrew Lu at FindLaw.com
    Mon Aug 6, 2012 4:21pm EDT

Wade Michael Page, a reported skinhead, is being blamed for the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, Wis., that left seven people dead Sunday, including Page, authorities said Monday.
    Page allegedly started shooting in the temple parking lot before walking into the temple in the midst of services and opening fire, CNN reports. Page allegedly killed six worshippers and seriously wounded a police officer before a second officer shot and killed him.
    Page was 40 years old and was a former member of the U.S. Army who was discharged for patterns of misconduct in 1998. He is described as a white supremacist and skinhead, a Yahoo! News blog reports.
    Wade Michael Page's motives for the Sikh temple shooting are unclear, but the FBI is investigating the case as one of domestic terrorism. Along with Page's alleged identification as a skinhead, he also reportedly had a 9/11 tattoo and may have had issues with those he felt were responsible for the attack.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...53206220120806

He was apparently a Neo-Nazi, or at least the lead singer in a Neo Nazi band, too.
    The Southern Poverty Law Center, a group that has studied hate crimes for decades, says on its website that Page was a frustrated neo-Nazi who had been the leader of a racist white-power band known as End Apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I haven't yet read if this guy was shooting Sikhs because he thought they were either non-white or Muslims. They are obviously white non-Muslims. Aside, though, from possible ignorance, hate, and/or a personal loose screw, I am embarrassed to have this happen in Wisconsin. We, in Wisconsin, haven't gotten over Jeffrey Dahmer yet whose weapons of choice were drugs and knives. Public education is pretty good in Wisconsin so I don't think poor schools explains any ignorance if the shooter went to Wisconsin schools.
    I don't know if he grew up in Wisc or went to Wisc schools he just did his dirty deed in Wisc. For all we know he could have gotten his crazyness in North Carolina when in the miltary.

I'm sure Wisc schools are good, I'm referring to an overall culture regardless of state

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I think its pretty apparent, he was a white supremist.

Why is it that everyone who portrays themselves along those lines seems to be proof of the opposite?

Seems that this shooter originates from Colorado!

Sikh are not Muslim.
    They do dress similar.
    But maybe a supremecist bonehead can't tell the difference.
    Killing is killing, and it doesn't matter what religion the victims were,
    this guy was a bad apple and deserved the swift justice the policeman delivered.

* Here's a story of a hero who arrived at the scene:
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...g-victims?lite

* No "assault rifle" this time.
    a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun with multiple ammunition magazines
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...in;contentBody