Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 7 shot following Detroit Princess riverboat moonlight cruise

From article:
    FOX 2's Al Allen reports hundreds of people were aboard the Detroit Princess for a moonlight cruise Sunday evening sponsored by local radio station Hot 107.5.

Allen says an argument broke out onboard as the boat was docking early Monday morning. He says pushing and shoving led to gunfire both onboard and onshore.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...cess-riverboat

Madness....

Women are doing drive by shootings now? SMH

This is not going to bode well for DP. There have been other problems on their cruises and dockings. Word to the wise for the older [[or sane) crowd is to 'avoid' any and ALL cruises involving 'DJ Nights' such as Hot 107.5.

I took some friends for a cruise one night and it was a bit too wild for my taste... though not insane as this turned out.

Best times are on the day cruises with a very large company or organization who can book and somewhat control the clientele, style of music and theme of a WHOLE deck.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Women are doing drive by shootings now? SMH
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-12 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    This is not going to bode well for DP. There have been other problems on their cruises and dockings. Word to the wise for the older [[or sane) crowd was to avoid any and ALL cruises involving 'DJ Nights' such as Hot 107.5.

I took some friends for a cruise one night and it was a bit too wild for my tastes... though not insane as this turned out.

Best times are on the day cruises with a very large company or organization that can book and somewhat control the clientele,style music and theme of a WHOLE deck.
    Key words...

"...an argument broke out onboard as the boat was docking early Monday morning...pushing and shoving led to gunfire...."

I don't know what to do or say. It doesn't matter how many cops are out on the streets. How do we teach people that the arguing ==> shoving ==> shooting model of behavior is self-destructive?

This is Detroit, you can hear gunshots when you leave your house. I've been through that scenario. I once sas a gunman shooting a stray dog in my northwest side ghettohood in the middle of the night back in the 1990s. There's nothing I can do about it. It just happens. There will be more gunshots and other shootings in the ghettohoods of Detroit until all of the communities and our leaders wake up and smell reality.

The shooter is still at large, get her, and throw her in the river.
    What sucks about these kinds of shootings is that the shooter doesnt really care who they hurt, they just start shooting. Must have been one pissed off lady.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Key words...

"...an argument broke out onboard as the boat was docking early Monday morning...pushing and shoving led to gunfire...."

I don't know what to do or say. It doesn't matter how many cops are out on the streets. How do we teach people that the arguing ==> shoving ==> shooting model of behavior is self-destructive?
    What kind of 'merican are you? our founding fathers argued, shoved and shot the English out of our country. Then they did the same to those heathen Indians and their dinosaurs

I'm sure the fight was over something very important, like somebody felt they were disrespected.

What a bunch of low life scum.

This behavior is what killed Bob-Lo Island Amusement Park. Sane people would not go on the boats and be quarantened with all the unsupervised and scary Detroit teens. Bob-Lo owners tried having more boats from docks outside of Detroit - but grown-ups and families were still unwilling to be stuck on the island with teen-agers who didn't know how to act.
    When the owners wanted to get out, no one would think of buying the island and upgrading the amusements. So Detroiters lost a nice venue. One of so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This is Detroit, you can hear gunshots when you leave your house. I've been through that scenario. I once sas a gunman shooting a stray dog in my northwest side ghettohood in the middle of the night back in the 1990s. There's nothing I can do about it. It just happens. There will be more gunshots and other shootings in the ghettohoods of Detroit until all of the communities and our leaders wake up and smell reality.
    Or, until everyone succeeds in killing eachother!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    This behavior is what killed Bob-Lo Island Amusement Park. Sane people would not go on the boats and be quarantened with all the unsupervised and scary Detroit teens. Bob-Lo owners tried having more boats from docks outside of Detroit - but grown-ups and families were still unwilling to be stuck on the island with teen-agers who didn't know how to act.
    When the owners wanted to get out, no one would think of buying the island and upgrading the amusements. So Detroiters lost a nice venue. One of so many.
    belle isle ring a belle????

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Or, until everyone succeeds in killing eachother!
    If it were only the loser criminals that were killed, I'd have no problem with that logic. Unfortunately, these thugs usually kill innocent bystanders and they themselves seem to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The very same problems that killed Jefferson Beach and Edgewater Park amusement venues.

What can you do?

Well for one, I've always thought security was a bit lax on the DP. But that would not have stopped a nut case from coming off the boat and returning with a gun. The horror of that moment of gun fire! Bad! I used to go down late at night to the water front and watch the DP depart and dock just for view. I guess I best rethink that...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well for one, I've always thought security was a bit lax on the DP. But that would not have stopped a nut case from coming off the boat and returning with a gun. The horror of that moment of gun fire! Bad! I used to go down late at night to the water front and watch the DP depart and dock just for view. I guess I best rethink that...
    Yeah, but turning the Detroit Princess into a third world experience will only discourage customers from going on the cruise, and as a result we'll lose it.

Just listening to Angelo Henderson show a few minutes ago and the foxdetroit report is inaccurate. The difference is significant even if it does not diminish the tragedy.

The fight began on the boat. The perpetrator left the boat, got her gun and fired at the victims as they exited the boat.

Headline amended to read, "7 Shot FOLLOWING Detroit Princess Riverboat Moonliit Cruise".

Otherwise how could the perp have escaped?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2012120806018

The freep provides more detailed in that the shooting was off the boat:

...The altercation apparently began as an argument aboard the boat, Quinn said. Radio One Detroit's station Hot 107.5, which plays hip hop and rap, was hosting the its On Deck Sunday Moonlight Cruise. The event is touted on the boat's Facebook page as a nightclub atmosphere on a cruise from 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. The Detroit Princess also provides a DJ for the cruise, playing softer music on the boat's top deck.

"It looks like a group of people were getting in some kind of fight," said Quinn. "When they got back to shore, a female who was involved in the fight got into her car, drove back...and then she shot into the crowd of people who were getting off the boat."

"It looks like a group of people were getting in some kind of fight," said Quinn. "When they got back to shore, a female who was involved in the fight got into her car, drove back...and then she shot into the crowd of people who were getting off the boat."

Keith Gillespie, the assistant promotions director with Radio One Detroit, was just getting off the boat when the shooting happened. He ran back onto the riverboat and shut the door until the the gunfire stopped.

"As I was walking out the door, I heard some commotion with some women and gunshots rang out," Gillespie said today, adding that he immediately called a Detroit Police officer who is a friend and happened to be patrolling nearby. "It was real scary because people started running in every direction."

Gillespie said he opened the door again when one of the victims started knocking loudly, yelling he'd been hit. When the shooting ended, they discovered three women laying in the grass with wounds to their legs.

"After I realized there were more people down, I called [[police) and told them ... we needed more ambulances," said Gillespie, 45, of Royal Oak. He and others used tablecloths from the boat to hold pressure on the women's wounds.

"My mind said this could be somebody's mother, my mother -- I’d want somebody to stop and help her," he said.

The suspect drove off. A description of her or her car was not immediately available, Quinn said.

Detroit Princess owner and Captain John Chamberlain said everyone who boards the boat -- about 500 for Sunday's cruise -- is checked for weapons. Chamberlain, who has operated riverboats for 35 years, said this was the first time he's experienced a shooting incident near one of his boats."
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-12 at 11:05 AM.

Simultaneous posts^ with the same point. Action did not happen on the cruise but after.

You mean as in too many so-called gerry springer 'bouncer' types in view? Um, too late for that. They already have those on board from what I've seen my few times on it. Not enough of them it can be argued...?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, but turning the Detroit Princess into a third world experience will only discourage customers from going on the cruise, and as a result we'll lose it.

Maybe they need to stop cruises that cater to the hip hop crowd. Nobody ever got shot on a Michael Bolton cruise!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Maybe they need to stop cruises that cater to the hip hop crowd. Nobody ever got shot on a Michael Bolton cruise!
    Perhaps. This particular cruise was sponsored by Radio One's Hot 107.5.

My understanding is just before the Hip-Hop cruise, Radio One's Praise 102.7 had their cruise on the boat too.

I was just being sarcastic about the music.

In the midst of your sarcasm, you still made a good point.

Don't cater to the crowd that engages in this crap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast