Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 8900 E. Jefferson

Does anyone have experience living in this complex or know of
    someone who does?
    I am thinking about buying a unit here and want to know anything positive or negative about the place and its neighbors.

Also, is Rumors on the River still open?

many thanks

if you visited in person you would know about the bar being open right? i advise you to visit in person before thinking about buying. building is dated so if you want modern things look elsewhere. the units are priced right in my opinion...just need to be sure you are comfortable with co-op living.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish teacher View Post
    Does anyone have experience living in this complex or know of
    someone who does?
    I am thinking about buying a unit here and want to know anything positive or negative about the place and its neighbors.

Also, is Rumors on the River still open?

many thanks

I bought my mother an apartment there [[Riverhouse Cooperative) in 1993.
    She lived there until she died Sept. 2010. It's a beautiful building with spectacular views. The apartment I bought was originally a one bedroom and studio which had been made into one large apartment. There are many different layouts.There are several businesses [[Rumours, a beauty salon, men and women's boutique.) They also have guest apartments that visitors can stay in for up to 30 days. I think it's 40 or 50 dollars per day. They would have access to everything in the building. They would not have to pay extra for parking. The building has 24/7 security and maintenance. There is also a workout room, huge patio, library and outdoor swimming pool.) Just before my mother died they had just put in new washers and dryers, new carpet in the hallways and lighting and the parking structures were repaved. Once you get out of your car you can get to your apartment without going outside. There are many floor plans and ways to purchase an apartment. The association fee is based up square footage. The fee includes all utilities, taxes, and maintenance. I think they also have internet and cable. The manager is the same person who showed me my mother's apartment back in 1993. The building was built I think in the late 40's or early 50's. As far a it not being modern you have to be careful with modern apartments many of them are not soundproof and you hear everything going on around you. The whole time my mother lived there I never heard anything above or below her. The walls and floors are all concrete. I lived there with her for several months before she died. You can't beat the prices and as far as living cooperatively the members of the co-op have regular meetings and vote on how money is spent toward the building. When it came time to sell my mother's apartment you can sell it yourself [[they have no say in what you sell it for) or you can have the co-op sell it for you or hire a real-estate broker. I would say that the advantage in living cooperatively is that there is a member elected board of directors who review all applications. The board I believe serves 1 or two years. Unlike a condo where anybody who can buy one can move in but you don't necessarily want them for neighbors. I would suggest you call and make an appontment. On the first of every month you can pick up a listing of all the apartments that are available and the selling price. I hope this is helpful. If you have any more questions you can send a private message.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-05-12 at 04:53 PM.

thanks to both of you for replying.

Since this is my first trip back in five years, I wasn't sure if the restaurant was still open.

Thank-you for sharing the experiences you had there with your Mom. On Thursday I plan on visiting the unit and asking about others.

I have lived in a co-op before and think this is a good way to go in that my
    relocation to Detroit will be gradual - a house and family may come later.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish teacher View Post
    thanks to both of you for replying.

Since this is my first trip back in five years, I wasn't sure if the restaurant was still open.

Thank-you for sharing the experiences you had there with your Mom. On Thursday I plan on visiting the unit and asking about others.

I have lived in a co-op before and think this is a good way to go in that my
    relocation to Detroit will be gradual - a house and family may come later.

thanks again
    My pleasure..I am sure you will be happy with what you see.

Is this a misprint? $1,148 monthly H.O.A on a 71K condo? That's a tad on the high side.

http://www.lizindetroit.com/#!for-sale/cdvz

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Is this a misprint? $1,148 monthly H.O.A on a 71K condo? That's a tad on the high side.

http://www.lizindetroit.com/#!for-sale/cdvz
    It probably isn't a misprint. When I looked into those years ago, the purchase price was much lower, but the association fee was steep. A deal breaker for me.

Yes it's probably correct. it's a coop so it includes city taxes. Coops include taxes in the fee, Condos pay taxes separately. Different financial structures.

I assume that is is a very well taken care of property for those fees.

Everytime I drive Jefferson I think of how awesome the views facing the river and Belle Isle from the higher floors must be from this building.

had a friend purchase a 2x2 condo on high floor at shoreline east. very nice quiet building..under $70k. dues are $600...i don't see the appeal of a co-op over a condo in same area
    Last edited by hybridy; January-28-16 at 12:12 PM.

When River House was in the planning stages, back in the 50s, there were to be two identical towers. Only one was actually built. The Jeffersonian now stands where the second was to be. Here's a partial plan of a typical floor. [[My scanner's not big enough to capture the whole floor.)

Name:  River House #1.jpeg
Views: 1541
Size:  208.8 KB

Here are larger plans of the four styles of layouts of the original apartments.

Name:  River House #2.jpeg
Views: 1772
Size:  224.0 KB

Over the years, many adjoining units have been combined to make multi-roomed, long, narrow apartments. If both apartments at the end of a hall were combined the result could provide grand river views in three directions.
    Last edited by Neilr; January-28-16 at 04:34 PM.

I purchased a one bedroom apartment about 20 years ago at the River House. I paid $6,000 for the apartment. I spent about $3,000 in upgrades [[hardwood floors, new kitchen appliances, blinds, new shower doors and vanities). I lived there for about 5 years then sold it for about $25,000. The monthly maintenance fee was about $350/month. It included the main utilities and most repairs. The apartment was on a high floor with a downtown view. I enjoyed living there but because of the zip code [[48214) my car insurance was horrendous and finding a decent place to buy food was an issue. When I moved in there was a market, restaurant, convenience store, and beauty salon. By the time I moved the restaurant, market, and convenience store was closed. I don't know what's there now but overall it's a pretty decent place if you want to live on the riverfront. The property is very safe, 24 hour security, front desk to announce guests. Three types of parking [[heated, three level garage, and around the building outside). I paid $30.00/month to park in the garage. I sold my apartment at my first open house and got what I asked for. You can get an apartment pretty cheap especially if it needs to be renovated. Or you can buy one that's decked but it's going to cost you. The monthly fee is based on square footage.

Designed by Louis Redstone. Riverhouse Apartments 8900 East Jefferson built in 1963 Gold Coast Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's WAY too much. I pay $650/YEAR in a non-gated community near Houston.

Your $650/yr probably does not include the property taxes. Co-ops have a different financial structure than single family homes or condos. But if your $650/yr does include your property taxes and insurance, then more power to you.