Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gone in 9 seconds: Car Theft in Detroit

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...eft-in-detroit

At approximately 11:00 a.m., a neighbor's surveillance camera captured a crime. A light colored, full-sized Mercury pulled up and idled. Three men were inside. From the back seat, one of the guys got out, walked up and crouched down at Theus' driver's door to work on the lock. Presto, he was in. The Mercury then moved in position for a push. The guy who popped the door did some magic on the steering column, dropped it in neutral, and the big Mercury pushed the Alero away.

Hey, they're losers. Who in their right mind would want to steal an Alero?

[[Just kidding. sorry for your neighbor's loss. It's a bitch.)

Thats a Casual crime in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Thats a Casual crime in Detroit.
    I'm glad they were caught!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Probably somebody waiting for a DDOT bus.

I was going to buy an Alero for a hot minute, then reviewed them and found all the potential problems and declined. Looks like the guy literally PUSH the car once they get it open. Great! Good the jerks were caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

I witnessed the same thing in front of my house.
    A neon pushed the crown vic down the street around the corner.

A Dodge Neon 'pushing' something? That's a vision in itself!! That thing can barely drive train itself. Yet it pushed a big Crown Victoria!! Incredible! The tranny and engine on the little Neon has to be shot behind that!!~
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-12 at 12:31 PM.

That guy is a pro with prying those soft pliable plastic door handles out and popping the the door right open. Even more amazing is he got it into neutral and maybe steerable even quicker.
    The car seems no more theft safe than say a 67 Rambler.

I did not see anything mentioning the thieves were apprehended, only that they were "caught" on candid camera.

Good catch on that detail DR... sad that they're still out there seeking the next car to steal. And the push tactic overcomes an alarm!

Though a motion sensitive alarm would go off -- so pushing an car thru the streets with an alarm going off full-blast would just go unnoticed?

Probably.....
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-12 at 10:24 AM.

What exactly good is a car alarm? I see [[hear) alarms set off ALL THETIME by owners who open doors, climb in, rummage around in the seats, move the seat, arrange the hand-bag and finally, about two minutes later, start the engine and shut off the blaring alarm. I wouln't run to the window for anyone else's alarm anymore. And if I did, what should I do? Call the police and tell them that a car is being pushed down the street, alarm blaring? What does that mean in a world where people let their own alarms blare all the time?

The right car alarm is useful... However, it's annoying when owners who don't know how to disarm their alarms, go in and get something.

Sound is USELESS as is the standard 'wiring' of most alarms. You really an auxiliary battery [[well hidden), non-standard wiring and a KILL switch that disarms engine...

Yet a car being pushed to the strip joint, so well all bets are off!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    What exactly good is a car alarm? I see [[hear) alarms set off ALL THE TIME by owners who open doors, climb in, rummage around in the seats, move the seat, arrange the hand-bag and finally, about two minutes later, start the engine and shut off the blaring alarm...
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-12 at 08:56 AM.

Yes, In the photo were 2 African American, males, 3rd generation of 2nd wave uneducated 'field negro' ready to work families. They must have case the hood first; finding a home or any vehicle that is deemed valuable. After the found that middle class vehicle. One of the black males jimmied the lock, hotwire the electronic key starter and drove away to some illegal chop shop. Gone in 9 seconds.