Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone Own a Chevy Volt?

The bride is looking at cars and the Chevy Volt has risen to the level of consideration. I like that it is made at the Poletown Plant and that it would use almost zero gas.

Her employer has free charging stations near their front door which translates into almost free propulsion. That is a plus, but I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this vehicle?

How did you set up your home charging station?

Did winter drain the battery too quickly?

Haven't looked at the Ford entries into the EV market, that's next.

Thank you taking the time to respond.

Try edmunds.com, or epinions.com. I have used both sites in my reviews of cars - prior to and after purchase.

You get the safety, technical reviews, recall data and owners reviews and comments. I think edmunds has a link to NHTSA for really technical data.

Is the price still up on those? I hear their about 40K out the door...

Hard for some to stomach but the Volt has become relatively successful.

Don't know how this has affected lease deals which have been relatively reasonable.

Don't know if it is fair to compare it to pure electric vehicles. BTW, Nissan Leaf sales have gone way down.

I don't know anybody who owns one. I know sales where down for volts that they stop building them.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...LvR_story.html

The main issue I've had with any EV vehicle is that after five years the batteries are used up. Hence buying one isn't very attractive, but they are now leasing them. 2 years, 15,000 miles a year, at $220 a month plus $2,600 down. That works out to $7 some thousand over the lenth of the lease.

With gas today at $4 bucks a gallon ...

Probably better to lease than finance. I can't see paying $40,000 dollars for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    I don't know anybody who owns one. I know sales where down for volts that they stop building them.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...LvR_story.html
    Last month Chevy moved 1,800 Volts, about 400 Leafs moved.

GM wants to sell around 20k Volts a year. Nissan about the same amount of Leafs. Call it a slam but Ford just might want you to forget about their electric vehicles.

And yes leasing a Volt makes all the sense in the world if your needs fit the lease and the car. There will come a day that self generating vehicles will be the norm. But that it was GM was the one to bring it to market first just won't be accepted in some circles. I can't stand Toyota for their political history. Or how they lied about gas pedals. But they have built some interesting cars. Got to give them credit for that.

Yes, I know the Toyota Prius is less. Both are a bit small for my taste. I like my cars a bit bigger...

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Probably better to lease than finance. I can't see paying $40,000 dollars for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, I know the Toyota Prius is less. Both are a bit small for my taste. I like my cars a bit bigger...
    YOU, YOU, YOU! You want to destroy the environment.

Don't you know that everyone should be forced to purchase an American made Yugo? Don't you ever listen to Al Gore? We will call the Chrysler built US version of the Fiat Topolino [[as modified in the former Yugoslavia to become the Yugo) the ALGO.

The Chevy Volt is a very expensive enviromentally efficient automobile. It sells fine but not enough to add more profits. It's all planned by the U.S. government when it took over GM during the bailout.

Shollin Guest

The Volt was in the planning stages long before the bailout but government conspiracies are always fun.

Oh shucks I do feel REALLY bad H! Thus, I drive wearing sun glasses even on an overcast day! ---- Oh, the horrors, I even drive a V6 [[which really is annoying - tried to get the 4 cyl model but was unable to). I coast alot to keep the price down.

I would not drive a Chrysler 'anything' whatever the incarnations and partnerships.

I purchase my cars in part based on collision ratings and while I don't drive a boat-big car, my mid-size preference remains. Had a few hatch back and other very small cars. I now like mid-size and just a tad of luxury. Shhhs -- don't tell no one...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    YOU, YOU, YOU! You want to destroy the environment.

Don't you know that everyone should be forced to purchase an American made Yugo? Don't you ever listen to Al Gore? We will call the Chrysler built US version of the Fiat Topolino [[as modified in the former Yugoslavia to become the Yugo) the ALGO.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-12 at 09:41 AM.

Yes, that it very true. The planing and development of cars, especially one that unique and engineered for electric from concept to assembly takes years. Though I am sure there where some all-nighters in some of the Chevy 'war-room' offices and other departments to get it thru faster at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    The Volt was in the planning stages long before the bailout but government conspiracies are always fun.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-12 at 11:07 AM.

Have two friends with them, and they are passionately in love with them.. In fact, Chevy Volt owners are the most satisfied of any car owners [[http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...isfied-drivers)

Volts are eligible for a $75,00 Federal tax credit. See dealer for details.

Check with DTE Energy -- they had a program that gave a free, separately metered charging station for the first 2,500 enrollees. They may have met their quota, but maybe the quantities have been expanded. [[http://www.dteenergy.com/residential.../getReady.html)

The cars are well-built and will not disappoint. The ride and handling are fantastic. Driving one will really help you make your decision. My one buddy with the larger commute only uses electricity during the week, and his employer has charging stations avaiable too. He uses a little gas on the weekends when he visits his S.O., only because there's no charger available.

I have been contemplating a Volt too. The big advantage IMO that the Volt has over Leaf is that if the power runs out you can still keep going. I think that is why Volt is gathering strength and appeal. For me anyway. I like the fact it is locally built too.

I am always leery about buying the first generation of anything, let alone of a new technology. But a year has passed and I am hearing mostly positive stories, like those above.

I wish the battery range was longer though, say at least 70 miles.

So how does this work on a long trip up north? Once the battery is depleted and it starts using gas to generate, what is the MPG at that point? How much does the sound level rise?

muskie1 Guest

The batteries on the Ford Fusion and Escape hybrids have far exceeded expectations. The only reason to buy a hybrid or ev is because you want one. You probably will never see a savings vs a similar gas car because of the additional cost of the vehicle.

They have already proven to be a ecological nightmare because of the battery pack manufacturing process. Until we go all solar or wind power for electricity the green aspect of these cars is not there. Just wait until we have to dispose of the battery packs.

I would get one if that is what I really wanted it and planned to keep it forever. I have seen a few of these come in on trades and they are worth less than their gas counterparts.

Shollin Guest

What happens with heat and AC? Heat on a standard car is run through a heater core from the engine coolant, so does the Volt have electric heat? What about AC? Is that run off of battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I would not drive a Chrysler 'anything' whatever the incarnations and partnerships.

I purchase my cars in part based on collision ratings and while I don't drive a boat-big car, my mid-size preference remains. Had a few hatch back and other very small cars.
    So you're telling me those Chrysler Fiats with the "NO CRASH DATA AVAILABLE" on the manufacturer's window sticker can't dissuade you? http://acarisnotarefrigerator.files....ch_sticker.jpg

The only Chrysler products worth having are from the muscle car era. Late 60's to early 70's Anything with a factory installed Hemi engine commands prices easily over 100k, not to mention the 440, 383 and 340 powered cars.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-04-12 at 10:35 PM.

The only Chrysler products worth having are from the muscle car era. Late 60's to early 70's [...]
    and GM ... 67-68 Olds Toronado - best car Detroit
    made ... 455 V8 ... supercharged, 480+ bhp. Wow!

If you could only electrify these masterworks.........

The only Chrysler products worth having are from the muscle car era. Late 60's to early 70's
    I have to disagree. We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and, let me tell you, it is the best quality car I've ever owned, and our other car is a BMW 5 Series. The Jeep drives beautifully and has plenty of little extras that just make it an awesome driving experience. When Fiat starts building the Maserati Kubang SUV at the Jefferson plant next year, all they'll have to do is bolt the Maserati body onto the Jeep frame, and they'll be done. The vehicle is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    I have to disagree. We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and, let me tell you, it is the best quality car I've ever owned, and our other car is a BMW 5 Series. The Jeep drives beautifully and has plenty of little extras that just make it an awesome driving experience. When Fiat starts building the Maserati Kubang SUV at the Jefferson plant next year, all they'll have to do is bolt the Maserati body onto the Jeep frame, and they'll be done. The vehicle is that good.
    Yours must have been buiilt before lunch!

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Go to Jalopnik and look at the jeep. The second most dangerous vehicle they have ever test in Sweden. Hell they even brought the Chrysler engineers in, who said it was a fluke. Wrong, 6 of 7 Jeeps blew a tire. I would not strap my family in any Jeep, unless I wanted them dead. Chrysler could not care about you or your family in a Jeep.

Many years of testing and the 2nd worse vehicle ever? I hope my tax dollars do not have to go cleaning up the carnage of you and your family.

I wonder when I'm supposed to worry about my wife driving her 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 155,000 trouble free miles? Artds, your first hand testimonial is clearly meaningless. I guess I have to read Jalopnik.

I have a Chevy Volt,and absolutely love it! I got a lease deal for $252 a month from Serra in Southfield on 4/30/12. I was spending approximately $200 a month in fuel on my other car. So far I have driven 3000 miles on it, and burned 11 gallons of fuel. My electric bill has gone up about $3o a month; just had the free 220V charger installed at my house from DTE. When I drive my Explorer to work it cost $8.90 a round trip @ $3.50 a gallon, the Volt is a mere $1.30. On an annualized basis [[50 weeks a year, this saves $1900 a year in fuel savings, over the 3 year lease: $5,700). To add insult, I decided to take the cash that I sold the car it replaced and dumped it into a particular oil stock, paying a nice dividend, so that should net about $359 a year; enough to cover my electricity bill; thank you gas purchasing consumers.

Driving it is an absolute blast: the torque is amazing, the quietness opens up a world you never knew existed, and it has turned into a game to see how far you can go on a single charge. [[My record is 47 miles). Once the gas kicks on should run out of electricity, it has always averaged 37mpg. This is an amazing product, and a uniquely Michigan product: its built in Hamtramck Assy, the battery is made in Brownstown Twp, the engine is made in Flint, with components from Bay City, the steel is stamped in Pontiac, from steel possibly sourced locally as well. The electricity: DTE, not Saudi Arabia. On top of it all, I like the fact that every morning, I never worry, if it is "Filled up";it is every morning. The recent spike in gas prices re-enforce why this has been a great choice. I could not be happier. Think global-Act Local.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast