Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default If You Could Raise Money For Detroit....

what particular area, or interest, or group, or group of people would you donate to? Or would you start your own non-profit? If so, what type of non-profit would you start?

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    what particular area, or interest, or group, or group of people would you donate to? Or would you start your own non-profit? If so, what type of non-profit would you start?
    501c Non-connected PAC to back those in the up coming elections who will represent the city and its residents in their best interests,and to educate the citizens in their options so they can make the choices.

Demolishing hazardous buildings.

Math and Science Education.

When people are educated, they have well-paying jobs.
    People who have well-paying jobs pay lots of taxes.
    A city with lots of taxpayers can pay their bills.
    When a city can pay their bills, they don't need to sign consent agreements.

Any reasonable plan to keep the state out of our business revolves around being able to pay our bills.

Any plan to pay our bills requires our citizenry to pay lots of taxes.

Any plan for our citizenry to pay lots of taxes means that many need to have well-paying jobs.

Any plan for them to have well-paying jobs requires high levels of education, specifically in fields of quantitative analysis.

Start now and in 30 years we won't need to argue about whose hands are on Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

When people are educated, they have well-paying jobs.
    People who have well-paying jobs pay lots of taxes.
    A city with lots of taxpayers can pay their bills.
    When a city can pay their bills, they don't need to sign consent agreements.

Any reasonable plan to keep the state out of our business revolves around being able to pay our bills.

Any plan to pay our bills requires our citizenry to pay lots of taxes.

Any plan for our citizenry to pay lots of taxes means that many need to have well-paying jobs.

Any plan for them to have well-paying jobs requires high levels of education, specifically in fields of quantitative analysis.

Start now and in 30 years we won't need to argue about whose hands are on Belle Isle.
    This seems like a good way to improve the prospects of individual Detroiters, but what's to keep them and their newfound skills in Detroit if there's no accompanying investment in quality of life issues? I think a lot of people would just view it as a ticket out of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    This seems like a good way to improve the prospects of individual Detroiters, but what's to keep them and their newfound skills in Detroit if there's no accompanying investment in quality of life issues? I think a lot of people would just view it as a ticket out of the city.
    Yeah, this. The flaw of Detroit has always been that it's a place that doesn't compete well in attracting "talent" en masse. A lot of talented people come from Detroit but go elsewhere to thrive.

Whatever organization could reopen McnNichol at the airport runway.

And actually force the trains to keep to some sort of standard where they can't stay at the same location blocking all traffic for 45 fucking minutes.

Or anyone that actually acknowledges the eastside exists other than telling people to get out of their homes to build stormwater retention ponds.

Where does that investment in quality of life come from? Taxes. An already low tax base is struggling to support even the most minimum of service.I don't have the numbers to support it, but I feel as if Detroit has the highest non-profit per capita ratio in the nation. We don't need more non-profits competing for finite resources. This additional strain on what little funding is available prevents funds from making it to the streets.Detroit, stop organizing and start doing.

I'd throw away the cars and the bars and the wars.

Joy to the world!

Police, fire and demo funds.

Architectural & historical preservation....I'd give billions if I had it. We've lost so much already, but better late than never?

I rarely log in these days but must say I stay active in my Detroit. People should partcipate in ,Shop for a cause, Macys, or many other programs.

Grateful to be part of an amazing neighborhood! We have done five programs this year alone in our neighborhood which mostly focuses on our kids learning how to invest in our hood.

Good point. Will chew on this.

A lot of people would just view it as a ticket out of the city. If that's what's best for them, then isn't that good?

Assume 1% stay. That 1%. That 1% might change the world.

education. Fact remains if you are around and about the poverty line, graduate from highschool, and fill out a FAFSA you are pretty much qualified for grants that cover nearly all expenses. Usually you get a check in the mail every semester for living expenses and books. Not talking about loans, you can get those too and in addition to the grants. Raise money to fund programs to educate students of what money is available. Scholarships and summer learning opportunities.

Considering this I don't understand whats wrong with kids. If my parents were dead broke and I lived in a bad neighborhood I would live at school. Do they not know about grants? money you dont have to give back
    Last edited by rex; August-07-12 at 05:55 PM.

You are assuming a lot Rex. When undeducated young parents have kids, the large percertage of those kids also end up the same way. This is the vicious cycle that is truly killing Detroit. When you grow up in that type of environment, it's easy to ask "Do they not know?". A large do not, and a significant portion do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A lot of people would just view it as a ticket out of the city. If that's what's best for them, then isn't that good?
    Yes, of course. If you interpreted my post to mean that I'm against investing in education, that wasn't my intent at all. I just don't think the benefits of that investment would necessarily accrue to the city of Detroit in quite as clear-cut a way as corktownyuppie implied. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or that the benefits wouldn't be real and tangible for both the students who directly benefited and the US economy as a whole.

Get some proper business development going with a focus on small and "micro" businesses.

I think there is a *lot* of gray-market business going on in the city, as, last I heard, the permitting process is a nightmare. If someone wants to open a taco stand, they should be able to walk into city hall, get all the permits needed within an hour, get an inspection within a week, and be open in under two weeks, for as little cost as possible.

The permitting process should come with some sort of marketing and advertising, and open access to micro-loans and free financial/legal advice. Maybe have a service where the city takes care of your books and banking for you until you get up and running [[the new taxes collected could offset the cost of running the program)

There are a lot of uneducated people looking for work in Detroit. All bureaucratic barriers restricting them from making a living should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    And actually force the trains to keep to some sort of standard where they can't stay at the same location blocking all traffic for 45 fucking minutes.
    Unfortunately, that will never happen. Those trains are usually 5,000-7,000 feet in length. These are all cars pulled from the Jefferson/Mack plant. The reason they block the intersections you speak of is because the CN [[formerly Grand Trunk) diamond may be blocked at Forest Lawn, thus, causing the train to stop. There is a lack in communication between a certain railroad and the CN that could curb this issue.

I'd like to see a program that rewards perfect school attendance. The kid would get stuff [[some fun, some school-related) and the school with the highest percentage of perfect attendees would get supplies [[computers, musical instruments, athletic supplies, etc.)