Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cool Happy Hour Spots In Downtown

Quick question. A buddy of mine is coming to town on business next week and wants to meet up for happy hour somewhere downtown. I work in Troy so I usually never get to go downtown for Happy Hour on a Friday. Where are some good spots to get a couple drinks at during that time?

I like the Grand Trunk pub on Woodward and Congres...http://www.grandtrunkpub.com/

The last time I was down there around that time we just hit Greektown. the little bar attached to the hotel called Shotz had cheap appetizers and drinks. You might also want to try Club Pulse.

Roast is a great happy hour spot on Fridays.

Roast and Joe Muer Seafood. Great drinks and eats too!

Not really "downtown", but between Henry Ford Hosp and Wayne State is Northern Lights Lounge at 660 W Baltimore. Not pretentious, kind of divey, cool music, all different types of people and SHUFFLEBOARD. Haven't tried the food yet, but I hear it's good.

roast is the happy hour spot, the drinks are inexpensive and they have awesome happy hour food specials as well. do not, under any pretenses go to shotz. it is attached to a parking garage. I repeat a parking garage. do not go to shotz. your friend will never want to visit Detroit again.

try vivio's in eastern market. drink specials 'til 7pm good atmosphere.
    watch out tough, tigers are in town playing the yankees. downtown will be very busy.

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Not really "downtown", but between Henry Ford Hosp and Wayne State is Northern Lights Lounge at 660 W Baltimore. Not pretentious, kind of divey, cool music, all different types of people and SHUFFLEBOARD. Haven't tried the food yet, but I hear it's good.

I go there all the time. The food is quite good. I don't think it's "divey" at all. It is a very fun, friendly, diverse crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I go there all the time. The food is quite good. I don't think it's "divey" at all. It is a very fun, friendly, diverse crowd.
    No disrespect meant with the term divey. Maybe it was the minibike/motorcycle with a skull strapped to it parked right outside the door that made the impression on me. It's a bar. I'm sure it has its regulars, but we were made to feel at home. The bartenders were fun and entertaining, too. I wish the place was at the end of my street.

How's the live music?

Sugar House or the Buhl Bar ...love both

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    Sugar House or the Buhl Bar ...love both
    Buhl Bar, hands down. The place is literally only open for happy hour so as it is their raison d'etre it is a good one. A great place for professionals, in the heart of the financial district, which has such a great urban feel to it in itself. No food, no bullshit, no hipsters, no crazy crap on the walls, just stiff cocktails and good beers.

Thank's for the suggestions guys. I was thinking Roast to start and probably hitting another as well. He's originally from here but has been in Chicago for 5 years, so I wanted to bring him to some new spots since he's left.

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    No disrespect meant with the term divey. Maybe it was the minibike/motorcycle with a skull strapped to it parked right outside the door that made the impression on me. It's a bar. I'm sure it has its regulars, but we were made to feel at home. The bartenders were fun and entertaining, too. I wish the place was at the end of my street.

How's the live music?

Depends on the night and what you like. I think Dennis Coffey has a weekly slot again now and he's incredible. I was there Wednesday and they had a good jazz combo playing. Other nights are different styles.

For happy hour I also like Buhl bar downtown and I think DBC has good happy hour specials.