Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taco Bell Harper/ Whittier

Went by there today and noticed it was scraped clean. Anybody know why they tore it down? It was usually pretty busy at lunch time and the building seemed like it was in good shape.

Agreed - it disappeared in one big hurry!

The Taco Bell at Gratiot and Jane also closed within the past two weeks. Still standing, though.

Something stunk about those locations apparently. Either the workers weren't doing their jobs in keeping the place up to code [[a huge problem in many Detroit commercial establishments actually, the lack of good workers) or they weren't bringing in enough money.

The Burger King and Subway [[formerly KFC) down the street from the Taco Bell on Gratiot closed recently as well.

Then again, I remember hearing a few years ago that if things in Detroit didn't improve, Yum!!! Brands would close all of their Detroit stores. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what happened with these locations now.

EDIT: BTW, fast food is another thing I avoid getting in the city. I will travel a few miles out of my way into the suburbs, because I know the service and food [[by chain restaurant standards) will be better.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-02-12 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Something stunk about those locations apparently. Either the workers weren't doing their jobs in keeping the place up to code [[a huge problem in many Detroit commercial establishments actually, the lack of good workers) or they weren't bringing in enough money.

The Burger King and Subway [[formerly KFC) down the street from the Taco Bell on Gratiot closed recently as well.

Then again, I remember hearing a few years ago that if things in Detroit didn't improve, Yum!!! Brands would close all of their Detroit stores. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what happened with these locations now.

EDIT: BTW, fast food is another thing I avoid getting in the city. I will travel a few miles out of my way into the suburbs, because I know the service and food [[by chain restaurant standards) will be better.
    Geesh, pretty bad when a fast food joint can't even be kept open anymore...

Shollin Guest

I'm not sure about this place, but I've seen some Taco Bell's and McDonalds being torn down and rebuilt with different styled buildings. Are you sure this one is closed and not being rebuilt?

Not to get too far off topic [[too late), but further down Gratiot [[across from the Faygo plant) I thought it was odd how the Sunoco, Gratiot Tires and Service and White Castle all closed at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I'm not sure about this place, but I've seen some Taco Bell's and McDonalds being torn down and rebuilt with different styled buildings. Are you sure this one is closed and not being rebuilt?
    I doubt it.

I don't think they would take down the sign if that were the case, and would put up a "closed for remodeling" sign.

That said, either a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins or Tim Hortons is opening at the corner of French Road and Gratiot. That's interesting news considering all of the closures taking place just up Gratiot.

When I was in line at a KFC on the Eastside a couple of years ago the woman who was making the fries ran out of the store when one of her acrylic nails fell in the grease. When the boss came out and asked where she went one of the customers said "Her nail fell in the grease I guess she went next door to the nail place to get a new one." When the boss said "Who ordered the fries?" Everyone in line said "not me." Ok granted the food might be bad and the service worse at fast food places but the entertainment you get is priceless. Example: I was in a Burger King when a guy asked for a Big Mac...the woman behind the counter put her hand on her hip and said "Fool this ain't McDonald's" the guy said "Damn" and ran out. Where's the camera when you need one?
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-02-12 at 03:12 PM.

Shollin Guest

I remember going through the drive at McDonalds at 7 and Gratiot a long time ago and this woman was flirting with another guy working there. She handed me my food and closed the window and continued hugging the strapping young lad. The only thing is, you never took my cash and had no interest in taking it. If that wasn't bad enough, it happened twice at that place.

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Not to get too far off topic [[too late), but further down Gratiot [[across from the Faygo plant) I thought it was odd how the Sunoco, Gratiot Tires and Service and White Castle all closed at the same time.
    Good observation.

They demolished that White Castle too.

I remember going through the drive at McDonalds at 7 and Gratiot a long time ago and this woman was flirting with another guy working there. She handed me my food and closed the window and continued hugging the strapping young lad. The only thing is, you never took my cash and had no interest in taking it. If that wasn't bad enough, it happened twice at that place.
    You know, I actually don't mind the McDonalds on 7 Mile and Gratiot. Beside the McDonalds on Chrysler and Mack, it's easily my favorite one in the city. The place is clean, the workers seem to be decent [[mostly high school and college) and considering how busy the location is, it's faster than a lot of the McDonalds I've been to in the suburbs.

Shollin Guest

You know, I actually don't mind the McDonalds on 7 Mile and Gratiot. Beside the McDonalds on Chrysler and Mack, it's easily my favorite one in the city. The place is clean, the workers seem to be decent [[mostly high school and college) and considering how busy the location is, it's faster than a lot of the McDonalds I've been to in the suburbs.
    This was back in the early 90's when this happened. I liked the place to. I got free food twice.

This was back in the early 90's when this happened. I liked the place to. I got free food twice.
    Oh yeah, it has definitely improved since then.

Yeah, businesses can't really stay open when they are unsanitary and give things away for free. lol, people really blow my mind. If I were a manager at some of these places I would be on a firing frenzy [[and then likely get shot at).The first and only time I hit a White Castle in the city they didn't give me a straw. I drove back through and asked for a straw and the girl said to me "god damn can't you just pop the lid?" Really?!

..more family restaurants needed in the city..

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Went by there today and noticed it was scraped clean. Anybody know why they tore it down? It was usually pretty busy at lunch time and the building seemed like it was in good shape.
    Wow!! I will have to share that news with my family as we used to live a block away from there.

IIRC, that Taco Bell was the first one built on Detroit's east side, maybe even within the whole city. That would be around 1975-76. [[We first tasted Taco Bell in 1974 over in Ypsilanti and were very happy when they built one near our house!)

One notable exception would be the White Castle at Michigan and Rosa Parks. By far the best in the area!

With all the closings the world is coming to an end for many Grosse Pointers! Images of the McDonalds at Mack and Canyon. Looks like they are almost ready to open.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    With all the closings the world is coming to an end for many Grosse Pointers! Images of the McDonalds at Mack and Canyon. Looks like they are almost ready to open.
    Looks a lot nicer that the other GP fast food joint...the Wendy's on Mack near Kirby. I think that one started out as a Burger Chef and has lived through several incarnations since.
    Last edited by Kathleen; August-02-12 at 05:41 PM.

I remember the tacobell in Warren at 8 and Ryan being a total dump a few years back, and then all of the sudden, they demolished the place, and put up a brand new one. Now the place is on jam day and night, and a large portion of their business is Detroit residents.

I've been bitching for years about how chain stores multiplty and upgrade their facilities and services in the burbs while leaving their Detroit stores to rot. They don't want the added expense of dealing with the urban issues, but have no problem expecting urbanites to travel several miles to patronize one of their stores. Or hiring Detroiters to work there for minimum wage, then replace them with another low wage earning detroiter as soon as the bus taking the soon-to-be-fired to work is late.

Tacobell has been one of the longstanding top 3 offenders on my list. The one off of Harper can't get a persons order right if you gave them all day, and I wouldn't let my dog eat the crap coming out of the franchise on fort.

Deep breath, rant over.

WOOH I feel like sending them another nastygram.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Looks a lot nicer that the other GP fast food joint...the Wendy's on Mack near Kirby. I think that one started out as a Burger Chef and has lived through several incarnations since.
    I agree with you but the Wendy's is approaching 35 and it shows. Besides Burger Chef it was a Hardee's until Wendy's purchased the group that owned quite a few Hardee's in the Detroit area.

Yea, seems like they are rebuilding the "Golden Arches" across the country because they have the same exact design going up here in Arlington, VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yea, seems like they are rebuilding the "Golden Arches" across the country because they have the same exact design going up here in Arlington, VA.
    Looks like the Golden Arches will be open for business at midnight 8-3-12.

GUSHI Guest

More business for the coneys, look people fast food is garbage, who cares if a few close, people should cook @ home more, cheaper and healthier,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast