Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bussing Between Downtown and Midtown

Does anyone here have experience with the bussing system between Downtown and Midtown? Is it reliable for work purposes and safe? Thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with the bussing system between Downtown and Midtown? Is it reliable for work purposes and safe? Thanks for any info!
    There are a number of DDOT buses that run on Cass and Woodward with pretty good headways. It's a pretty short trip, so it isn't too bad...

If you are traveling during peak hours, there are a few SMART buses that run through Downtown and Midtown, although some were cut short during the last service reduction.

When I was a student and I would work downtown I'd do that all the time.

For the most part, transit is pretty safe. I think the media overblows any time an incident does happen. If you are one to keep your nose clean you should have no issues.

Use the #16 Dexter bus or the #53 Woodward bus, both run every 15-20 minutes. The Dexter runs on Cass.

catmap.wayne.edu is a map of all the bus stops in midtown.

Great, thanks guys!

The Hamilton #23 is also very good [[runs right down the middle of WSU - Anthony Wayne Dr. then eventually down Hamilton, and onward down 7 mile to Northland).

It is fairly regular and not as crowded as the Dexter. Also you can get a more direct route heading north to Southfield on the Hamilton.

Here's the DDOT site for schedules and routes...

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...Schedules.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Use the #16 Dexter bus or the #53 Woodward bus, both run every 15-20 minutes. The Dexter runs on Cass.

catmap.wayne.edu is a map of all the bus stops in midtown.

Has anyone taken the #16 farther out than downtown/midtown/new center? i'll need to take this bus to DMC sinai grace from one of those areas where i plan on living until i get a car or get a job at the midtown DMC, whichever comes first. while it was not the most comfortable ride, when i tried it out, it seems doable, as long as it is during daytime. any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by doreennicole View Post
    Has anyone taken the #16 farther out than downtown/midtown/new center? i'll need to take this bus to DMC sinai grace from one of those areas where i plan on living until i get a car or get a job at the midtown DMC, whichever comes first. while it was not the most comfortable ride, when i tried it out, it seems doable, as long as it is during daytime. any thoughts?
    Ah, where's Jjaba when we really need him?

Hi doreennicole, I've ridden the Dexter bus [[that's your #16; we mostly use the names) end to end and to many points between, hundreds of times. It's not bad though it gets really busy at times, and like any city bus anywhere, once in a while a fool gets on.

The other nice thing about it is that it runs pretty frequently. Not quite as often as Woodward, but not at all bad.

Good luck!
    Prof. Scott

Agree with the Professor here. The Dexter is one of the main buses Renaissance High School students use, and goes right by DMC at Outer Drive and Schaefer. It winds a little slowly through the neighborhoods there, but is pretty regular and will take you from where you are to where you got's ta be, day or night.

I used to take the Dexter Bus up to Grace. It was alright. Sometimes I'd take Grand River to Shaeffer though because it's more direct from Woodbridge. I don't know how cuts have affected that route, but the Dexter Bus is one where service is supposedly guaranteed.