Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Destroyer USS Edson to be towed thru Detroit Sunday

I am told they will be coming thru Detroit sometime on Sunday, and are due to arrive in Bay City on Monday at noon. they are only doing between 5-7 knots, so that's why it is taking so long.

We are planning to fire a salute from our cannon at Fort Wayne as the ship passes, and somehow the media got wind of this, so there might be a Channel 4 van present.

Sunday is also the Detroit Fire Dept's Field Day at Fort Wayne, which i am not sure whether it is open to the public or not. they will probably have the Curtis Randolph fire boat present again like last year. sounds like a really cool photo op.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...o_saginaw.html

Any clue what time it would be passing Belle Isle? I'd love to see this.

I'm going to see if it shows up under the 'passages' section of boatnerd.com...

http://boatnerd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Any clue what time it would be passing Belle Isle? I'd love to see this.

Does anyone know what the policy regarding warships on the Great Lakes is. It was my understanding that they were not allowed by a long-running treaty. Yet we have seen such visits from time to time.

I've been convinced for some time now that there is a US ballistic missile submarine wandering around in Lakes Michigan and Huron. I think I saw it on my fishfinder once - either that or it was the biggest muskie ever...

Background on the ship and its journey:

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...leaving_p.html

There is a ballistic missile sub for Michigan, the USS Michigan [[SSBN 727). I went aboard in Point Loma, San Diego. If there would be one in our waters, I think they would use this one.
    Last edited by Islandman; August-02-12 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Does anyone know what the policy regarding warships on the Great Lakes is. It was my understanding that they were not allowed by a long-running treaty. Yet we have seen such visits from time to time.
    This is what I find regarding your question, Lowell:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush%E2%80%93Bagot_Treaty
    The origins of the Rush–Bagot Treaty can be traced to a correspondence of letters between Acting United States Secretary of StateRichard Rush and the British Minister to WashingtonSir Charles Bagot, which were exchanged and signed on April 27 and 28, 1817. After the terms of the notes were agreed upon by Rush and Bagot, the Rush-Bagot Agreement was unofficially recognized by both countries. On April 6, 1818, it was submitted to the United States Senate and formally ratified on April 16, 1818. The treaty eventually led to the Treaty of Washington of 1871, which completed disarmament. The United States and Canada agreed in 1946, through an exchange of diplomatic notes, that the stationing of naval vessels for training purposes was permissible provided each government was fully notified in advance. In 2004, the U.S. Coast Guard decided to arm 11 of its small cutters stationed on Lake Erie and Lake Huron with M2407.62 mmmachine guns. The American decision was based on a climbing number of smuggling operations as well as the increased threat of terrorist activity after the September 11, 2001, attacks. The Canadian government decided that the armament did not violate the treaty, as the guns were to be used for law enforcement rather than military activities. Canada reserved the right to arm its vessels [[Canadian Coast Guard) with similar weapons.[3]
    The Edson has been decommissioned so there are probably no active munitions on board.
    Last edited by jcole; August-02-12 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Adding

looks like we made the paper, haha:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...cannon_sa.html
    DETROIT, MI — Thomas Berlucchi doesn't want the crew towing the USS Edson to be alarmed when they hear the cannon fire as they cruise by Historic Fort Wayne on the Detroit River.

"They aren’t being shot at, and it's not an attack," said Berlucchi, chairman of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. "It is a salute when they hear the cannon fire."

Historic Fort Wayne is honoring the retired Navy destroyer making its way to Bay City by flying the Navy's flag and firing a salute from a Civil War-era cannon as the ship passes. The fort will play "Anchors Aweigh", the fight song of the U.S. Naval Academy, from its public address system.

Berlucchi said that it was customary to fire a salute to Naval ships that sailed by the fort when it was an active Army base, from 1851 to 1971.
    "Today, Historic Fort Wayne is a decommissioned fort and the USS Edson is decommissioned destroyer. We will fire a salute no matter what time she passes," Berlucchi said. "We are going to do it up and do it right."
    The ship's current estimated time of arrival in Bay City is noon Monday, which means it could pass by Historic Fort Wayne during night hours.

The USS Edson left Montreal Wednesday morning and crossed through Canadian and U.S. locks along the Saint Lawrence Seaway. The destroyer got under way from Philadelphia on Wednesday July 18. The ship's departure marked the beginning of a journey across 2,436 miles of ocean and freshwater from the East Coast to Bay City.
    The USS Edson ultimately will moor near the Independence Bridge Boat Launch, and will serve as the floating centerpiece of the Saginaw Valley Naval Ship Museum. In April, the Navy announced it was donating the ship to the museum.

Berlucchi, a Navy veteran, served from 1979 through 1983 aboard two Forrest Sherman Class destroyers — sister ships of the USS Edson.

"As a former tin-can soldier, seeing the Edson go by will bring back a lot of memories," Berlucchi said. "It will be a pleasure to watch the USS Edson sail by so I can show her to my family as the kind of ship I sailed on for almost two years on the Pacific Ocean."

The destroyers that Berlucchi served on were active at the same time as the Edson: USS Morton DD-948 and USS Richard S. Edwards DD-950, out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The USS Edson, hull number DD-946, is another of the 18 Forrest Sherman Class destroyers.

"I will have many members of my organization along with the public who will sit along the shoreline and enjoy the sight of Bay City's new museum go by," Berlucchi said. "We would be honored if after we fire the cannon, they blow their ship's horn to us."

The fort's planned salute to the Edson is the only known military ceremony the ship can expect to see. The honors are expected around Sunday, depending on the speed of the destroyer during its voyage. Berlucchi said that it will get easier to plan on a time once the Edson gets to Lake Erie.

Historic Fort Wayne is located one mile south of the Ambassador Bridge on the Detroit River. It was built in 1851, and was used as an active army base for more than a century.

As Detroit's third fort, it served as an infantry training station, was the primary procurement location for vehicles and weapons manufactured in Detroit during both World Wars and housed prisoners of war from Italy during World War II.
    also, in regards to treaties and warships, I am told that the ship must stay on the American side of the border.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; August-02-12 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    looks like we made the paper, haha:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...cannon_sa.html

also, in regards to treaties and warships, I am told that the ship must stay on the American side of the border.
    Or

what....Canada is going to attack us with their MASSIVE fleet? lol

Saturday early morning bump...

The Edson has cleared the Welland Canal and is in Lake Erie.

You can follow the Edson and her Tug "Colonel" here: http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

They are currently doing 3 knots and are about 200 miles east of the mouth of the Detroit River as it empties into Lake Erie. A photo of the pair is shown below.Name:  COLONEL.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  22.5 KB Name:  COLONEL 1.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  40.5 KB
    Last edited by Packman41; August-04-12 at 07:55 AM.

She's in Lake Erie heading this way tugged by tug Colonel. The Mariner Traffic site updates as they make way. Click "Longitude and Latitude", under Last Position Received on link below:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shi...mmsi=366904380
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-12 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Or

what....Canada is going to attack us with their MASSIVE fleet? lol

Ahhhh, don't laugh eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    This is what I find regarding your question, Lowell:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush%E2%80%93Bagot_Treaty

The Edson has been decommissioned so there are probably no active munitions on board.
    I am familiar with this but it does not seem that it has been tightly enforced. There is precedent for armed ships on the Great Lake, most famously the USS Michigan of the the Civil War era and beyond that dealt with Great Lakes timber pirates and was the target of a failed Confederate operation and something that could lead to accidents.

Confederates operating out of Detroit convinced a Great Lakes ferry to stop in Sandwich where it took on a crew of escaped Confederate prisoners from Canada. They hijacked the ferry and intended to seize the USS Michigan which was moored in Sandusky. As the only armed ship on the upper great Lakes it could have devastated the shipping and bombarded port cities largely unopposed.

It seems the plot was exposed and it all fell apart before they got to Ohio and the plotters scuttled the ship and fled. It remains a mysery.

The Michigan was clearly a warship.
    During the American Civil War, Michigan was armed with a 30-pounder Parrott rifle, five 20-pounder Parrott rifles, six 24-pounder smoothbores, and two 12-pounder boat howitzers.
    Now it is being reported that drones are being used along the border. I say no military on the Great Lakes. We have been at peace with Canada for 200 years and are allies in war now. Just my opinion but I find this ridiculous.

Anyone have a ballpark ETA? Id love to check it out from B.I. if possible

See http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shi...mmsi=366904380 and click "Current Vessel's Track". They are by Lemington in Lake Erie. 5 or so knots speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Anyone have a ballpark ETA? Id love to check it out from B.I. if possible

As of 7:30 this morning she was about 9 miles East of Point Pelee and traveling at 4.6 knots.

It is about 76 miles from there to the foot of Jefferson. So, ast that rate they would be there at about 11:30 PM. Would be passing Belle Isle about midnight. If they have to slow down to keep in the turns of the shipping channel, then those ETAs would be extended. Just use the link that Zacha341 gave in post #14.

rounding pointe peelee soon.

Drats. I was hoping it'd pass thru during the day. Oh well. Thanks for the details PM41!

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    It is about 76 miles from there to the foot of Jefferson. So, ast that rate they would be there at about 11:30 PM. Would be passing Belle Isle about midnight. If they have to slow down to keep in the turns of the shipping channel, then those ETAs would be extended. Just use the link that Zacha341 gave in post #14.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-12 at 06:49 AM.

Since it hasn't been mentioned directly in the thread, I would note that the Edson has been on several cruises of the Great Lakes before, particularly during the Early 80's. It stopped in Detroit, but I saw it in Houghton in 1984.

Here is a note from a crew member at the time....
    http://www.ussedson.org/index.php?mo...=10&group_id=3

Ebay is selling a press photo from the 1984 visit, in front of the Ren Cen.

Last edited by rooms222; August-05-12 at 10:10 AM.

4:50 PM Sunday. AIS shows the Colonel near Grosse Ile right now.

Saw it at Bishop Park, Wyandotte. Should be by Ecorse or Rouge by now.

At 6:15 she was abeam of Historic Fort Wayne. Should be at the Bridge by 6:30 and tip of Belle Isle by 7:30.

What a difference an extra knot of speed makes from 4.5 to 5.5 knots. Now we can see her pass by.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast