Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Cotton: first Organic Urban Cotton Test Field!

Announcing the first Organic Urban Cotton Test Field!

Name:  2012-08-01 14.15.55.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  64.2 KB

Testing study on land use and economics. We have successfully passed the flowering stage and expect the first Detroit cotton harvest 30 days from today. Results determine next seasons planting. Come visit and share our experience for a small donation in a much needed effort to support Urban Organic Cotton.

http://www.canarthandworksaomai.com/index.php

for more iinformation

Name:  2012-08-01 14.17.29.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  73.7 KB

I'm surprised it can be grown this far north. I understand it takes a lot of water though. Michigan has plenty of water.

The Wikipedia article for cotton shows that it's mostly grown far south of Michigan for fiber but it is grown for seed near Michigan. Is this project intended for just seed?

Good luck!

Cotton? What kind of crop is that to grow? Most mills moved out of the country 30 years ago or more.

Shollin Guest

Why do I get the feeling that growing cotton in an all black city seems like we're moving back in time?

Cotton in a northern state? I never would have thought it could work

Sharecropping!

Coming soon to a 'hood near you!

Cotton Comes To Har... DETROIT!

Maybe we can attract new residents with indentured servitude arrangements.

I'm all for urban farms and enterprising Detroiters, but this seems like a big mistake. I can just hear JoAnn Watson now....'See!? I told you they were trying to turn us into sharecroppers!' Any reason that you chose cotton?

I would be surprised that a supply chain even exists for cotton grown here. Why grow something if there is no market for it, or it will cost so much to get it to the manufacturers that no one will buy it?

I mean, you shouldn't be intimidated by racist idiots. If you want to grow cotton, go ahead. Just don't be shocked at some backlash.

The city of Sanford Fl was known as the celery capital of the US back in the day because they have the rest of the country convinced that it would only grow there.

Rice grown in Arkansas and Alabama is considered some of the finest in the world who would have thought.

It seems like as other countries advance our history is coming back steel mills disappeared,now Germany builds a $3.7 billion dollar steel mill in Alabama,manufacturing was considered dead,now there is a high demand for workers that cannot seem to be found slowing that comeback.

Organic cotton? Maybe the next high dollar line of clothing as nothing beats cotton for the heat or cold,it could become trendy.Good job.

"Organic cotton? Maybe the next high dollar line of clothing as nothing beats cotton for the heat or cold,it could become trendy.Good job."

This is what my first thought was. Perhaps there is a limited market for Organic cotton. There are lots of folks who make handmade clothing and such. I can see crafters and those who partake in recreating Civil War days and such having a use for it.

Is it going to be the "savior"...no...but it can create a use for open land, put people to work, earn them some money and serve a purpose. So why not??

Kudos. maybe some foundations can get involved, and some young people can get some age-appropriate jobs..

Default Mass produced cotton....

...as grown in huge fields down south and out west, is one of the most chemical-intensive crops there is. Therefore, there most likely is apotential market for organically grown cotton among local crafts producers who may not be able to get it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    "Organic cotton? Maybe the next high dollar line of clothing as nothing beats cotton for the heat or cold,it could become trendy.Good job."

This is what my first thought was. Perhaps there is a limited market for Organic cotton. There are lots of folks who make handmade clothing and such. I can see crafters and those who partake in recreating Civil War days and such having a use for it.

Is it going to be the "savior"...no...but it can create a use for open land, put people to work, earn them some money and serve a purpose. So why not??

Excuse me for being a party pooper but how can anything grown downwind in the shadow of Zug Island be called organic?

Quote Originally Posted by O-Dawg View Post
    ...as grown in huge fields down south and out west, is one of the most chemical-intensive crops there is. Therefore, there most likely is apotential market for organically grown cotton among local crafts producers who may not be able to get it anywhere else.
    they should grow hemp fiber for clothing. requires no pesticides, fertilizer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Excuse me for being a party pooper but how can anything grown downwind in the shadow of Zug Island be called organic?
    I think it is more of a test type of thing ,there is not enough property there to be a productive asset but a little research does show that it is better to grow in a cold climate because the cold kills off the bugs naturally verses loads of chemicals needed as posted above. Cotton picking machines have been around before 1913.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    they should grow hemp fiber for clothing. requires no pesticides, fertilizer, etc.
    I agree but everybody thinks its the same as pot,and I forget the name of the old movie that put the fear into our forefathers where someone smoked a joint and then jumped out of the window and kinda sealed the fate of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post

Organic cotton is always hot in hippie stores in Ann Arbor and Vermont...etc

I have a couple organic shirts and they are slightly more soft for what it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    is growing hemp fiber legal in michigan.. especially with the current administration..