Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default The DIA Art Millage

The Detroit Institute of The Arts is one of sacred historical jewels. Lots of benefactors from long ago had put their blood, sweat, and tears to make Detroit a place where we all can see the humanities. Unfortunately The DIA is losing some benefactors, funding from the Detroit City Government has been cut off and no thanks to Engler its state dollars will not be given to the DIA. Also the DIA can't used what's left of their endowment dollars just to keep the art museum open. The DIA Art Millage for August 7th the residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties is for .12 mills with from any taxable income. You just be paying 12 dollars a year for the next ten years to keep the DIA open. You support will not only keep DIA open but also residents who are living in the Tri-County Area can enter the DIA for absolutely FREE! If you all counties or some voted no, then the DIA will have to close its doors until they can get more endowment dollars to keep it open.

The Detroit Science Center has been close for a while and will not open for a vert long time. Please don't let it happen to the Detroit Institute of Arts. Save our art museum before its too late. Detroit needs its arts and other humanities.

SO VOTE YES ON THE DIA ART MILLAGE ON AUGUST 7TH.

any thoughts?

I'm definitely voting for it.

Many thoughts here in this original thread:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...titute-of-Arts

Vote YES!!!

I am voting yes. This is cultural gem that benefits the entire region. I have visited art museums throughout North America and Europe. Friends, this is one of the very best collections among them.

When companies look too move or remain in a region major league cultural institutions just like major sports and zoos count heavily for appeal. For those of us who see Detroit in the big picture we need to urge all in our family of communities to support this effort.

If I could vote yes 50 times on this, I would. I've had discussions on this with some friends and family and my short-sighted father and brother are voting no. I try to explain the importance of the REGION and their answer is 'no new taxes' and 'I don't use it so why should I pay for it?' My answer to that is 'Do you use ALL of the state maintained roads that you pay taxes on? No way, but you're still voting to pay for that.'

Default Proposed Tax to Support Detroit Institute of Arts is Secret Muslim Plot, Crazy Person

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...bbie_schlussel

Like most people you probably think the DIA millage proposal is a fairly noncontroversial proposal to regionally fund the local cultural institution. Other than the same seven get-off-my-lawn misanthropes who resent paying taxes for a fire department because they own a perfectly good garden hose, pretty much everyone else supports this DIA millage right?

Well, Mr. and Mrs. Complacent Middle America, it is time to wake up because local paranoid Debbie Schlussel has discovered this DIA tax is really a secret plot by Muslims to implement Sharia Law.

debbieschlussel.com: Supporters of this art museum tax aren’t advertising the DIA’s extensive Islamic “art” collection. Instead, they are marketing it as a way for parents to get their kids some culture infusion via school field trips. That’s baloney. The museum promotes Islam, not any sort of positive cultural aesthetic or education.

--------
    Good God some people are complete and total idiots.

The only people who believe this propaganda are the type who wouldn't vote for the millage anyway. You know these folks are ultra paroniod and extremists when Brooks Patterson comes out and supports the tax.

The people who wouldn't vote for this are like Detroitnerd's beloved character, Frank Rizzo. Some on here will know what I'm talking about.

Stromberg2

Definitely voting yes!

Just moved here from Chicago and gems like the DIA are what attracted me to Detroit. My husband and I considered many places, including my hometown of Houston, but the draw of Detroit's cultural and athletic attributes combined with the cheap cost of living were extremely attractive.

I love art museums - my husband proposed to me at the Chicago Art Institute. I was extremely impressed with the DIA; not just its collection but the way they make art so accessible to those who may not be the most art savvy.

From what I've read, this millage has a lot of support.

What's Detroit without a art museum? I dull boring place filled with free graffiti art. Please keep the DIA open lots of historical pricless and sacret arts spanning over 10,000 years lies here. It needs to be protected and preserved it. Closing the DIA will expose our historical arts to lack of maintence, put into storage or be take away to other sucessful art museums around the world forever! Detroit can't lose the DIA. It's sacred to me and other people. So tell your family and friends in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to vote YES, YES, YES for the DIA Art Millage on August 7th.

SAVE THE DIA

I wish I could vote, but Monroe wasn't included. It should have been a southeastern Michigan proposal.

Vote YES for the DIA!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    The people who wouldn't vote for this are like Detroitnerd's beloved character, Frank Rizzo. Some on here will know what I'm talking about.

Stromberg2
    In the other DIA thread there were a couple resident DYes get-off-my-lawn-ers screaming about the millage. They're conspicuously silent now that it's clear their position is about as popular as ground glass in goulash.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    In the other DIA thread there were a couple resident DYes get-off-my-lawn-ers screaming about the millage. They're conspicuously silent now that it's clear their position is about as popular as ground glass in goulash.
    I'm a definite NO vote but I'm also realistic and recognize that the late introduction of the FREE stuff, ,which ain't free if you have to pay the mil in order to get it, has further conned the gullible to be "yeses" as represented by the above writer. I believe this mil will find its way into the Detroit coffers by virtue of relieving it of funds it would have had to have paid, if in fact they are needed in the first case
    Last edited by coracle; August-03-12 at 02:07 PM.

Evil suburbanite here born and raised in Livonia, currently working and living in Oakland County. I'll be voting for the millage.

Another Oakland Co. yes vote here.

All of my circle of friends who have discussed the millage plan to vote yes.

Art should be supported by its admirers, not by the state. Vote NO

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I'm a definite NO vote but I'm also realistic and recognize that the late introduction of the FREE stuff, ,which ain't free if you have to pay the mil in order to get it, has further conned the gullible to be "yeses" as represented by the above writer. I believe this mil will find its way into the Detroit coffers by virtue of relieving it of funds it would have had to have paid, if in fact they are needed in the first case
    The city has already slashed funding for the DIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The city has already slashed funding for the DIA.
    Did they slash the director's salary?
    Get rid of the corruption in that city, then maybe we will talk.

I support the DIA and will continue to do so with or without the milage increase.
    However I have stated before on another thread making the DIA free does not sound like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara_10 View Post
    Did they slash the director's salary?
    Get rid of the corruption in that city, then maybe we will talk.
    The City won't be running the DIA. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    The City won't be running the DIA. Just an FYI.
    The director gets nearly 1/2 million dollars a year. That's corruption or robbery, if you will.

Based on the list in that article, the Louvre is an exception.

I don't know what's so special about the director of moma that he needs to make almost 1.6 million dollars, but what the director of the DIA is making seems to be in the ballpark based on that list.

so its 12 dollars a person over 10 years... $120, discounted for time and inflation is probably like $70 of todays dollars

if every person saying they are voting yes would write a check for $120 and every person that has a blue vote yes sign on their lawn doubled it and sent $240 in, this tax on people than don't want to pay could be avoided....

its easy for 18-25 year old bohemian art types to vote yes to spend other peoples [[homeowners) money....

im voting NO, mainly because I refuse to vote for any new taxes, we are screwed enough by taxes we have no control over that im not voting to further the pain....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    its easy for 18-25 year old bohemian art types to vote yes to spend other peoples [[homeowners) money....
    It certainly is. Fun, too! You should sell your house and try it sometime.

The person that started this thread got the facts wrong. It's not "....12 mills with from any taxable income. You just be paying 12 dollars a year for the next ten years..." [[his words; not mine). It's a 0.20 mill based on the taxable value of your house. Most people's payments in Oakland County will be about $30/$60 per year or #300/$600 for 10 years. And if you don't own a house you pay zero - now that's "fair" isn't it? All the non-contributors will be able to get in FREE [[for a while!) and see the lovely Art on somebody else's dime while the people that have to pay won't be able to afford the gas to get there.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast