Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Yes, It's going to be proposed at the Suburban Collection Showcase in Novi, MI. It will be called The Great Lakes State Fair! It may be in Detroit anymore but the farther green pastures of the suburbs will do.

no alice cooper, no fair!

I will pass. Novi is not really a good city to visit. Cops hassle you, get bent over with Gas prices as their 10-30 cents higher than most of the metro area from what I seen and their is no good place to go if you want to have fun like a downtown.

The State Fair died in 2009 as far as I'm concerned.

The State Fair meant so much to Detroit they named a street after it.

I would think this would be a State Fair in name only. I can't see them moving in a bunch of farm animals, awarding ribbons and having pie eating contests.

Since when is a circus part of the fair? I know I have seen the Shrine Circus at the fair grounds multiple times as a kid, but that was not during the fair.

They should just call it as it is, a trailer carnival show with a couple of bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    I will pass. Novi is not really a good city to visit. Cops hassle you, get bent over with Gas prices as their 10-30 cents higher than most of the metro area from what I seen and their is no good place to go if you want to have fun like a downtown.
    This. No way you'll catch me having one drink anywhere in Novi.

This thing sounds like a bad joke to me. sounds like it will be a mix of a carnival and a circus, and we know how well carnies and circus folk get along

The Minnesota State Fair is still what the Michigan State Fair used to be; better actually. It too is set in an urban environment.

As a parent and now grandparent, I much prefer my county fair. It has barns full of animals taken care of by farm kids, fair food, a county photo and other exhibition/competitions, and a little midway for the kids. I run into people I know, crime is almost unheard of, kids have a good time, and it is relaxing. My suggestion is to do some research and find a well rated county fair and make it a family tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    This. No way you'll catch me having one drink anywhere in Novi.
    It sounds like their plan is working.

City vs. Suburbs. Only in Southeast Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    You sound a might presumptuous.... how do you know all these are city folks who won't visit Novi? I live in SCS, and am an easy I-696 ride from Novi... but what's the point? It's not the State Fair.... plus a circus is not a state fair.... I won't be there either...

It's usually the suburbanites on this board who are quick to point out that all suburbs are not created equal. Besides a ton of other legitimate reasons, I think part of the problem is the particular suburb. To put it as mildly and as objectively as possible, Novi is not the most interesting suburb in our region by any stretch. No, I don't think you're going to find a lot of love for Novi on this board, and I think also for plenty of good reasons.

It's usually the suburbanites on this board who are quick to point out that all suburbs are not created equal. Besides a ton of other legitimate reasons, I think part of the problem is the particular suburb. To put it as mildly and as objectively as possible, Novi is not the most interesting suburb in our region by any stretch. No, I don't think you're going to find a lot of love for Novi on this board, and I think also for plenty of good reasons.

Novi sucks. 'The State Fair' will never be 'The State Fair' anywhere other than the old fairgrounds!

Novi is too far away for me.

The last few years, the State Fair did include a small circus. It was held in a tent near the building where they used to have the arts and crafts.