Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Detroit Annual Historic Theatre Tours - Saturday August 25

On Saturday August 25th Preservation Detroit [[formerly Preservation Wayne) will offer its' annual [[and most popular) tour... the Downtown Detroit Historic Theatre Tour.

This tour is offered only one August Saturday a year. This is due to the difficulty in getting all the venues having downtime in their theatre's on the same date.

Tours are 4 1/2 hours long [[and include lunch at the Detroit Opera House). Cost is $45, and due to summer heat, free water bottles are provided. These popular tours are almost always sold out, so make your reservations early!

Tours start every half hour [[from the Fillmore/State), at 9:00AM, 9:30AM, 10:00AM, 10:30AM, 11:00AM and 11:30AM. [[although it looks like the 9:30 and 10:00 tours are already sold out).

The venues include [[generally in this order):

Fillmore/State Theatre
    Oriental Theatre Lobby
    Former Michigan Theatre
    Detroit Opera House [[lunch stop)
    Music Hall
    Gem & Century Theatre
    Fox Theatre
    City Theatre

Attendees should arrive at the Francis Palms Building [[location of the Fillmore/State), by entering thru the office building entrance for registration about 1/2 hour before your tour starts.

Parking is $3 at the Detroit Opera House Garage [[behind the Detroit Opera House).

Wear comfortable walking shoes!!

See you there!

http://preservationdetroit.org/2012/...y-august-25th/

Thanks, I might attend.
    My brothers friend, an organ enthusiast, was in town and was invited to play the Fox organ. My brother tagged along and they had the place to themselves. Many pics were taken, here is one.
    Name:  fox1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  35.0 KB

Last year I got a private tour of the Fox for a 33 member choral and folkdance group from Hungary [[who also got an opportunity to play the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer). Fox principal organist Dave Calendine gave them a performance that was the groups highlight of their 3 week USA tour.

Here's Dave on the Slave Console up in the balcony playing for a gentleman [[that seems to have problems with holding a videocam correctly). Listen to the first 2 minutes of this video to get an impact of what Preservation Detroit tour visitors will be enjoying on their tour...
    http://youtu.be/D0rrR1n9l9I

Thats was great, however my vertigo just kicked in after watching.
    Are pics allowed on the tour?

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Are pics allowed on the tour?
    Yes. With two caveats per the Preservation Detroit webpage...

No tripods
    No professional photography

Thank you, my photograpy is more on the hack side then professional.