Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: RIP Gore Vidal

Default RIP Gore Vidal

Remember when writers had real wit? When a novelist could go on a talk show and beat the comedians at their own game? Remember the feud with that archetype of the conservative commentator, William F Buckley [[the guy whose every comment inevitably degenerated into ad hominem attacks)?

Remember Myra Breckenridge, 1876, Burr, Caligula, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Remember when writers had real wit? When a novelist could go on a talk show and beat the comedians at their own game? Remember the feud with that archetype of the conservative commentator, William F Buckley [[the guy whose every comment inevitably degenerated into ad hominem attacks)?

Remember Myra Breckenridge, 1876, Burr, Caligula, etc. etc.
    RIP. My days are just a shade darker.

From about five years ago: TOTALLY OFF COURSE

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Remember the feud with that archetype of the conservative commentator, William F Buckley [[the guy whose every comment inevitably degenerated into ad hominem attacks)?
    Er - Vidal kept calling Buckley a Nazi, IIRC. Neither man was very civil to each other. Buckley sued Esquire for libel over an article about him that Vidal wrote and won, twice [[they published it twice.) Vidal wasn't really a nice guy, especially later on in life. Vidal on Roman Polanski's rape case: "Look, am I going to sit and weep every time a young hooker feels as though she’s been taken advantage of?" Classy! In any case, he was a damn fine writer.

Buckley called Vidal a Nazi first, to which Vidal responded that the only crypto-Nazi there was Buckley

actually, the case was dropped, twice. No one ever claimed Gore Vidal was a nice guy. Least of all Gore Vidal, who said something along the lines of "once you break through my icy facade, you will find a soul of ice water"
    Last edited by rb336; August-02-12 at 09:09 AM.

Any cartoonists out there:

I would love to see a cartoon of Buckley and Vidal surrounded by the fires of hell, with the devil off to the side, beseeching heaven with "God, what did I do to deserve this?​"

Julian was Vidal's best work, at least that is what I thought. With regards to the Buckley feud...is it me, or does William F. Buckley have to most annoying accent? Guy sounds strange when he speaks...