Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    superduperman Guest

Default 10 snubbed Olympic cities [[#1 DETROIT)

Sheeeeeeesh.....Talk about tough crowd, some of the comments really make me smh.

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/10-snubbed-olympic-cities

Yahoo Commenter says:

"To be fair, Detroit's last attempt was in 1972,when there was still some semblance of a viable city.The Olympic committee would bellylaugh at their application now.You can just see Costas calling the,''homeless relays to the dumpsters,sponsored by Night Train''.

And:

" DETROIT HAS THEIR OWN OLYMPICS: MANY TYPES OF SHOOTING, FENCING, RUNNING, BASKETBALL.........................."

Or better still:

" Det-riot!? HA! HA!! HA!"

I couldn't make this shit up. Even I laughed my ass off.

be happy the olympics never hit here. have you seen what happened to the previous cities? build a bunch of multi-million dollar stadiums and arenas for a one week event, then its all gone and empty until they demolish it.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    be happy the olympics never hit here. have you seen what happened to the previous cities? build a bunch of multi-million dollar stadiums and arenas for a one week event, then its all gone and empty until they demolish it.
    Actually the US cities have been pretty good at it. The stadium wouldn't have been empty. The Lions would've moved there and the Silverdome would've never been built.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Actually the US cities have been pretty good at it. The stadium wouldn't have been empty. The Lions would've moved there and the Silverdome would've never been built.
    Also, Woodbridge would not be here, it would have all been razed for apartments, olympic village, and student housing.

Detroit should be back on the IOC Olympic bid by 2080 and possibly the Olympic Games by 2136.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit should be back on the IOC Olympic bid by 2080 and possibly the Olympic Games by 2136.
    We'll all be dead by then, provided the world hasn't ended.

Detroit had the 1968 Olympics on lock until the riots.

And furthermore, I bet half of those comments in the articles are from suburbanites in Detroit [[I doubt the rest of the country gives a damn).

Yep, cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Actually Detroit was selected as the best American city for the 1968 Olimpics but Mexico City won by 16 votes in 1963.
    You need at least 5 years to prepare.

The riots happened 4 years after Detroit lost the Olympic bid.

Shollin Guest

LOL the vote for the 72 games even happened before 67. I don't think the games in 72 could've gone worse than in Munich.

And furthermore, I bet half of those comments in the articles are from suburbanites in Detroit [[I doubt the rest of the country gives a damn).

Yep, cutting off your nose to spite your face...
    Or how about burning down your own city from the inside out?

Just imagine the number of false starts during the track and field events...

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    I'm with you on that. While we're gotten smarter as a nation about urban renewal and the like, this was prime time for the "demolish everything old and replace it with brutalist Stalin-esque monstrosities" movement. I think we would be left with a lot of ugly junk instead of near-downtown neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm with you on that. While we're gotten smarter as a nation about urban renewal and the like, this was prime time for the "demolish everything old and replace it with brutalist Stalin-esque monstrosities" movement. I think we would be left with a lot of ugly junk instead of near-downtown neighborhoods.
    NOT hosting the Olympics didn't do much for us either.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Yahoo Commenter says:

"To be fair, Detroit's last attempt was in 1972,when there was still some semblance of a viable city.The Olympic committee would bellylaugh at their application now.You can just see Costas calling the,''homeless relays to the dumpsters,sponsored by Night Train''.

And:

" DETROIT HAS THEIR OWN OLYMPICS: MANY TYPES OF SHOOTING, FENCING, RUNNING, BASKETBALL.........................."

Or better still:

" Det-riot!? HA! HA!! HA!"

I couldn't make this shit up. Even I laughed my ass off.
    Don't forget these events: Crash and Grab and Dine and Dash!!!

Shollin Guest

The US cities that hosted the olympics, Los Angeles and Atlanta, are still using their olympic stadiums and Atlanta had revitalized a once run down and abandoned area. Neither city is left with ugly junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    The US cities that hosted the olympics, Los Angeles and Atlanta, are still using their olympic stadiums and Atlanta had revitalized a once run down and abandoned area. Neither city is left with ugly junk.
    I think at least by landing the 1968 or 1972 Olympics, Detroit would have been able to maintain much of its vibrant urban core, similar to Chicago, unlike now where we are pretty much starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Just imagine the number of false starts during the track and field events...
    Ha, good one!!

Shollin Guest

According to Detroit's bid, the new stadium would've been built by the fairgrounds and the olympic village by the Wayne State campus. Most everything else would be in existing venues. The Lions would've likely moved into the new stadium or possibly the Tigers or both. The olympic village was going to be converted to student housing.

detroit needs a lot.. maybe too much.. before it can be in serious contention for hosting the games.. summer or winter.. just hope for more detroit/SEMichigan competitors..

My post on yahoo :
    What rock do most of you posters live under ? Detroit is by no means the greatest city , but Detroit has a proud history. Detroit and the auto industry, help build the cushy middle class life most of you enjoy. Detroit also was the Arsenal_of_Democracy, helping the U.S. in a BIG WAY during WWII.
    Without Detroit and the drive of the auto industry , we most likely wouldn't need all those freeways that YOU ALL drive on and all the "safe suburbs "I'm sure MOST of the posters live in a nice safe suburb in a nice safe cul de sac and judging from the safety of your keyboard
    It's easy to judge a city that most of you have NEVER been to.
    Awarding the Olympics to cities that are already "world class cities" is a no brainer .Most of the cities that are awarded the games don't need the Olympics . They are already capital cities .
    Why not give a city that is struggling to come back a chance ?
    And for all the folks that "live 20 mins north of Detroit" your suburbs aren't all that great . I've been to most of them, it's just a bunch of midwest , typical American , blue collar folks .
    It's easy to "pile on" Detroit as step child of the US.
    But most Europeans that visit the US think most of this country [[US) is violent,outside of NYC most American cities aren't all that great . Most people can't name 10 American cities of any measurable size that isn't violent and could host the games .
    I'm not sugar coating it , Detroit has a LOT of problems ,but with the right attention , and American know how Detroit could be an example.
    Sure Detroit is a rough place , but everyone loves a comeback kid !

This is what the Olympics give you:

1. Short-term awesomeness and recognition
    2. Long-term sporting facilities that were built special just for hosting the Olympics that go unused and shuttered for decades

If you want additions to the list of snubbed cities perhaps Shollin can oblige with "a few" and firstandten will give us some Mexican Cities that might qualify.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast