Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gus Anton, owner of former New Hellas in Greektown, dies at 85

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ektown-dies-85

The New Hellas in Greektown has been closed since 2008 and the former owner just passed away. It was a very popular spot in Greektown for many years, does anyone have any interesting stories about the owner or the restaurant?

Gus and his family are the best.

For almost 30 years, the folks at Hellas treated my family like theirs when we were at their restaurant. Gus was a man's man, he and my Dad and Uncle would always talk and joke, keeping each other uprised of news in the neighborhood. He was also known for his generosity and hard working nature, there were few times when he wasn't at the host station.

All of the major happenings in my life were celebrated at Hellas, including hockey games and autoshows, and their fam and waitstaff watched me grow up. Through the years, I used to crush on this one waiter from Macedonia. If he was working, didn't matter how busy the guy's section was, Gus would give me a smile and seat me in that waiters section. I never had to say a word, but he knew...

I've posted this before, but oh well, I cried when that place closed. It was much like losing a family member, and we've never found another place to replace it.

Thank you Gus, for everything....

I loved that place, even though they would freak out when we would ask them to split a check and would refuse to write separate checks! We would laugh like hell at that. That was a favorite place of mine to take dates when I was a teen. I felt so sophisticated and never treated like crap.

Gus you will be missed. You had a good run and a wonderful life.

So very sad the day it closed. New Hellas was where I learned to love lamb.

New Hellas was where I went on my first date w/hubby and first time eating Greek Food back in 1968.

My fav of the Greektown eateries. Loved the Baked Chicken with Onion.
    Saw the owner and talked to him often, though we were not friends.
    Drank a lot of OUZO