Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Agawa Canyon-Algoma Central Railroad

I remember taking this trip from Sault Ste Marie by Algoma Railway to Agawa Canyon years ago as a little kid. The most I can remember of it was arriving at the Canyon which was spectacular. The train ride, as I remember it, was pretty bland. Has anyone been on this trip lately who can tell me how it is these days? I was thinking about going up there in September.

I've not been on it since I was a kid either, but I recall that there were trestles and lots of nice looking scenery along the entire route.

Did it about 30 years ago. Spectacular scenery, dirty train. Eh?

If you go, takes photos and post 'em here!

Took a roll of film on that trip 30 years back, Jim, but the only surviving photo is this one, which is a pretty typical scene. Was on the back end of an open observation car and the temp was pretty much around -5 f. Didn't linger there very long.

Wow! I wouldn't want to fall off that trestle. Thanks!

We rode the train in the fall about 12 years ago. The following winter we did the Snow TRAIN. That wasn't as nice as the fall trip. About 2004 we rode the train to Hearst, Ontario in March. The trip took about 12 hours and the scenery was very, very nice. Fifty miles north of Hearst is the tree line, no trees north of there. The prices then were more reasonable than they are now. I like Canadiennes but I don't like their government.

We rode the Algoma about 20 years ago, in summer.

As I recall, the scenery was great and the train ride was comfortable. There were biting flies at our stop, so we weren't outside the train for more than a couple of minutes.

I've been on the Agawa Canyon run twice, once in summer, once in winter. In the winter, you don't get out at the end of the northern run. I found the winter more interesting, in that you could see through the trees into the woods. I was fascinated, looking for birds and animals. There were tracks in the snow at a few points, trying to ID them from the train was challenging. One set looked as if the animal was playing along the embankment, making me think of an otter, but with all the snow, more likely a marten or fisher.

I seem to remember a tour person telling of the history and sites along the tracks, which was very interesting. On one trip, we took my grandmother who was longing to take a train ride as she did when she was young to go home from boarding school. She had a blast on the trip! At one point we were navigating the aisle to the rest room and back, and she was laughing so hard she kept falling in people's laps. Everyone enjoyed helping her along. There is or was a "dining car" selling sandwiches and snacks. That is where I learned the difference between a Canadian and an American meat sandwich. Canadian sandwich = bread, one slice meat or cheese, mayo, bread. American Sandwich = bread, LOTS of stuff, sweet condiment, bread.