Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default On Wednesday, practice being responsible

National Weather Service Air Quality Alert: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...+Quality+Alert

Take transit where available, walk or bike for short trips, and cut out non-necessary driving, since there is an air quality alert. Many of our everyday actions do damage to the environment, but you will do extra damage to the environment and our collective health if we carry on as normal tomorrow. Take this as an opportunity to start a new lifestyle that will make us all better off.

I'll be walking to the fireworks tomorrow so I'm doing my part.
    By the way does fireworks smoke damage the ozone?

Forget about the fireworks... making tons of smoke over the city can't help.

So...you're saying we shouldn't exhale?!

don't eat beans...

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Forget about the fireworks... making tons of smoke over the city can't help.
    Do they make less smoke if you don't watch them?

[I meant to say "forgot" as in "I forgot;" unfortunately i made it sound like I was dismissing our great fireworks show... mea culpa]

I don't think the fireworks should be the focus here. They have a date set and that's the way is. The issue is whether you will take the DDOT shuttle down there, or whether you will offer to drive with your friends rather than each taking separate vehicles. Our ability to control the quality of the air we breathe is no joke.

Anyway enjoy the show! [[why is it so damn early in the month?)

Attachment 2022
    This picture of the D is from WSU Virtual MC website. How could the air not be 1000% better now than it was then?
    Last edited by MrJones; June-24-09 at 09:31 PM.

Good link. In the 19th century we burned a ton of wood and coal and put a ton of soot into the air, as the photo suggests. But it came from a small urbanized area, and there were no cars. Today our metro area's footprint is enormous and 99 percent of people move about with cars, only some of which are low emissions.

Now Detroit was probably the most polluted in the early 20th century, perhaps through the 1960s, when we converted into a driving city and dirty unregulated industry flourished the most. No matter how clean industry and transportation gets today, we are stuck with the marks left by the 20th century: in the air [[in terms of a heated atmosphere) and on the ground and in the water [[think PCBs at the uniroyal site, among others).

But you bring up an interesting point for research. Most likely we would need some scientists to make educated guesses as to how the air conditions have changed over time in the area, since no records existed before the 70s, I'm guessing.

Haikoont Guest

This entire thread belongs in O F Y. The "green" movement will continue to be hamstrung by such insufferable smarminess.

I did my part, I only drove my hot rod Model A Ford around for half the day. Then I switched to the F150 for the trip to the Tigers game.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=105852942

not ironically, Detroit has the most progress to make in terms of removing toxins from the air. See the map.

I'm sorry that you think people who are concerned with health and preservation of resources are superficial, Halkoont.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; June-26-09 at 06:30 PM.

I'm tired of being told not to water my grass or cut it on certain days or not to drive.