Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Sugar Man

Default Sugar Man

This must be Detroit's best kept secret , and what a humble man Sixto is .

'Searching for Sugar Man' delves into mystery of Detroit musician Rodriguez
    In a world that tends to overlook real talent that's not accompanied by fame, Sixto Rodriguez seems at peace with having achieved success late in life -- after he's actually lived a life.
    "Now I think I'm more grounded than I would have probably been then," the 70-year-old Detroit singer-songwriter muses, looking back on his younger self. "Maybe it's for the better that this karma has worked this way."

and more here:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Well not that big of a secret. His Cinderella story broke quite a while ago. See this DetroitYES old forum thread. http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1169235941

Just saw the film "Searching from Sugar Man" last night. Glad to see this musician/songwriter finally get the recognition he deserves, a wonderful story of discovery and talent uncovered. The film had enough twists & turns to keep me interested throughout. Also just surprised to see a major indie release have its focus on this musician living in Woodbridge. Too much.

Did anyone hear of the "The Sewer" bar from the late 60s early 70s? Never heard of that one.

I saw the movie today and I loved it. Go check it out, the music is timeless and the story is almost hard to believe. Keep your eyes open and you may even see Rodriguez around town.

Quote Originally Posted by xD_Brklyn View Post
    Just saw the film "Searching from Sugar Man" last night. Glad to see this musician/songwriter finally get the recognition he deserves, a wonderful story of discovery and talent uncovered. The film had enough twists & turns to keep me interested throughout. Also just surprised to see a major indie release have its focus on this musician living in Woodbridge. Too much.

Did anyone hear of the "The Sewer" bar from the late 60s early 70s? Never heard of that one.

Nice to see the man get some recognition. Everybody in Los Angeles who sees the movie raves about what a great story is being
    told, those of us who are from Detroit smile knowingly and say "Yes, Detroit is full of great stories".

Went out and saw this last night...just a wonderful story. Highly recommended for anybody from Detroit.

If anyone is interested 60 Minutes will be doing a piece this Sunday on him

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    If anyone is interested 60 Minutes will be doing a piece this Sunday on him
    I was at a live Rodriguez show in the backyard of the Old Miami a few weekends ago, and they told us the performance was being filmed for 60 Minutes. I'm assuming that's partly what will be shown this Sunday.

Story from Mlive...with attached 60 Minutes teaser...

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d..._river_default

PaulieG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    Story from Mlive...with attached 60 Minutes teaser...

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d..._river_default

PaulieG

I like that they called it the Cass Corridor rather than mid-town in the article.
    I was also at the Miami for his last show but only caught a few minutes of the show before that a month earlier there. I wonder if they did any interviewing there at the Miami. I was only able to catch the second set.
    My girls friends with him and introduced me to him years ago while she gushed over him. I didnt pay much mind to it at the time but a very nice cat he was. Im so happy for him and I havent even seen the movie yet.