Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Actress?

Anyone know who this actress is, and if she was from Detroit?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A want to say Donna Reed but I doubt that's correct. Looks similar though.

I don't know who it is, but it's definitely not Donna Reed.
    Where did you find the picture?

A friend supplied it to me.

I have no other info concerning this photo.
    Last edited by highjinx2; July-30-12 at 07:28 AM.

that looks like a young lucille ball...the top of her lip has the same shape.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBg&dur=366

Lucy's face isn't as square and she didn't have that beauty mark.

True, but I could see Lucille in that kind of outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Lucy's face isn't as square and she didn't have that beauty mark.

Its a fem-bot!

she has the look of a Ziegfeld Girl of Lucy's era

it looks like something out of one of the 'Road' movies

Not Donna Reed nor Lucille Ball, but definitely one of the Ziegeid Follies girls.

That hair, makeup style, costume....I'd say that was a number of years after the collapse of Flo Ziefeld.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    That hair, makeup style, costume....I'd say that was a number of years after the collapse of Flo Ziefeld.
    Unless it's from the "Ziegfeld Follies" movie, but I couldn't find a still from that movie that looks like this.

i thought it was lucy at first glance. the beauty mark could have been "penciled" in.

I don't think the Hayes code would permit that costume to appear in a movie. I'm thinking it must be from burlesque.
    Last edited by Brock7; July-30-12 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    I don't think the Hayes code would permit that costume to appear in a movie. I'm thinking it must be from burlesque.
    I was thinking the same thing, Brock, but the Hayes code started to be enforced in 1934 so it's conceivable that it could be before that.
    I searched for burlesque costumes, strippers and harem costumes of all sorts, but I can't find any reference to a costume like this.

That's one of the craziest set of over the shoulder bolder holders I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    That's one of the craziest set of over the shoulder bolder holders I've ever seen.
    You obviously haven't seen these.
    Name:  weird-helping-hand_49.jpg
Views: 6995
Size:  29.0 KB

The only Detroit actress I could find that comes close is Joan Leslie, but I do not think the the image is of Joan. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504125/

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You obviously haven't seen these.
    Name:  weird-helping-hand_49.jpg
Views: 6995
Size:  29.0 KB
    i don't get it. What's the big deal about a guy covering his boob with a marijuana leaf?

Got it.

She's Baby Lake from NYC.

I don't know if there's a Detroit connection yet.

From someone who apparently purchased the original photo:
    I have just purchased several hand signed autographed photos of strippers and burlesque dancers. This one is of the very beautiful Stripper BABY LAKE. It is hand signed in blue and green ink and reads: " To Terry, you are as sweet as you are beautiful. Knowing you has been a pleasure. Best to you and Jack always. Love Baby Lake May 17, 1951" These are all beautiful artistic photos by a talented photographer, Bruno of Hollywood [[NYC studio). This particular photo is well posed and most unusual having a bra of two faces with tubes leading into cups. I can only imagine what her act was all about. Baby Lake posed for Irving Klaw but apart from that little is known about her today. It is a Glossy finish and measures 8'' x 10''. Baby Lake started the signing in blue ink but the pen ran out and was finished in green ink. It is guaranteed to be original.
    So I doubt we'll find any more information relating her to Detroit.

I kept searching for burlesque instead of burlesk. Damn

Baby Lake posed for Irving Klaw but apart from that little is known about her today. It is a Glossy finish and measures 8'' x 10''.
    Irving Klaw's photography studio was famous for photographing Betty Page so there may be a way to connect up Baby Lake through that.
    There was a segment on History Detectives about his studio last week.
    This is Betty:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast