Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 35,000 Lutherans Coming to Detroit in 2015!

The ELCA church is bringing 35,000 Lutherans to Detroit in July 2015, to help volunteer in the city for 4 days!

I went on this trip from my own Lutheran Church in Rochester in 2009 when we went to New Orleans. We spent time cleaning up sites, repainted houses, and listening to stories from the residents. Meanwhile, spending plenty of money on food, shopping and hotels. It will be great again to see Every hotel room in Downtown Detroit and more filled for a 4 day period!

Here is the Welcome video from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America to Detroit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQlykkT_VY

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    The ELCA church is bringing 35,000 Lutherans to Detroit in July 2015, to help volunteer in the city for 4 days!

I went on this trip from my own Lutheran Church in Rochester in 2009 when we went to New Orleans. We spent time cleaning up sites, repainted houses, and listening to stories from the residents. Meanwhile, spending plenty of money on food, shopping and hotels. It will be great again to see Every hotel room in Downtown Detroit and more filled for a 4 day period!

Here is the Welcome video from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America to Detroit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQlykkT_VY
    I think this stands in strong contrast to the recent evangelical [[not to be confused with the E in ELCA) attention to Detroit. Last summer there was that prayer march downtown, and then that infamous video of youths talking about how God brought them to our "slum communities". This is certainly much more purposeful in that these folks are willing to actually roll up their sleeves and put some time in. After all, actions speak louder than words.

LOL All I can picture are a bunch of Lutherans throwing beads at drunk chicks!

Beads? Tuna hot dish, maybe.....

35,000 white kids with money are coming to Detroit in the summer of 2015.

They better stick together in large groups or the wolfs will eat them for lunch!

GUSHI Guest

There they go trying to take over "our city"

At least they aren't those heretical Missouri Synod Lutherans, esp. the ones of the English District variety

Good from them. They are coming to Detroit to do the Lord's work; winning lost souls who are fighting, killing and robbing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    35,000 white kids with money are coming to Detroit in the summer of 2015.

They better stick together in large groups or the wolfs will eat them for lunch!
    I'm sure there will be at least one kid who isn't white....

interesting. Hopefully this will lead to more events like this.. encourage some positive cross-cultural interaction..

2015.. who knows what detroit's city leadership will look like by then.. curious..

I guess the Lutherans are ok, but No Methodists

Thanks for the warning!

[[I hope they spend a lot of money, I just don't want to deal with 35k religious people.)

When we went to New Orleans, we mostly went to spend 500,000 man hours of volunteering in a 4 day period, not to convert people. hah, yet I can see why that may be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Thanks for the warning!

[[I hope they spend a lot of money, I just don't want to deal with 35k religious people.)
    You can rest assured that no bible thumping suit wearing doorbell ringing will take place during their tenure here...

One of the Lutheran tenants of their faith is that "doing good work" is one way to help get into heaven.... and helping to tidy up Detroit is to them "good work" [[heck with all the work that needs doing in this city... they should get an escalator ride into heaven).

You can rest assured that they won't be trying to win over any lost souls... they're only coming to do good work by helping to tidy up... and not perform miracles.... [[change people's mindsets on how to live life better).

Maybe the best that can be expected is that they can shame us by example...

Lutherans are really the same as Catholics only without the guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Lutherans are really the same as Catholics only without the guilt.
    If you remove all the trappings [[holy water, incense, transubstantiation) and the fact that single or married men and women can be ordained... then you're pretty much spot on.... my mother was Lutheran, father was Catholic... so I got to see both sides...

Back when I was a Lutheran, there was a serious divide. Missouri Synod Lutherans were much more Calvinistic, and there was an underlying, subtle racism in their liturgy, which I only recognized after stepping away. The English District was even more to the right, and almost split from the Synod [[my father was in on the negotiating, some of which took place in our home and got quite heated on occasion). The Evangelical Lutheran Church were far more liberal. It has been more than 30 years since I had anything to do with them, so I have no idea how they have changed liturgically

As far as Lutherans being "just like Catholics," that is just not true. No praying to saints, no veneration of Mary, no belief that any priest, saint or pope was between you and God.
    Last edited by rb336; August-02-12 at 08:17 PM.

GUSHI Guest

It's a off spring of the catholic religion

And computers are the offspring of loom patterning machines. so?

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    It's a off spring of the catholic religion
    All Christian denominations sprang off the Catholic Church.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    As far as Lutherans being "just like Catholics," that is just not true. No praying to saints, no veneration of Mary, no belief that any priest, saint or pope was between you and God.
    Those are not part of the catholic doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    All Christian denominations sprang off the Catholic Church.
    Not so. I am Lutheran and yes, Lutheranism evolved from Catholicism. However Lutheranism is not interchangeable with Catholicism, there are as many differences as there are similarities.

Many Christian churches did NOT evolve from Catholicism, - all Eastern churches [[Orthodox churches, Armenian church, Church of the East, Indian churches, Syriac churches, Coptics, Ethiopian Orthodox) were in existeince long before there was an actual Roman curch. historians believe the oldest churches were the Syriac, Ethiopian, and Coptic - which are all still in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Those are not part of the catholic doctrine.
    possibly not part of doctrine, but certainly part of the practise

Those are part of the guilt trips.

possibly not part of doctrine, but certainly part of the practise
    Not part of the official practice either. I went to Catholic Schools for 12 years and we were told that we should question all of that nonsense. There is nothing in the bible or the doctrine that supports this. In fact this goes against the 15 [[CRASH!) ten..... 10 commandments.

Why the heck is this even related to the original topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast