Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Has anyone delt with a Michigan Welfare Rights Organization home takeover?

The house across the street from me is being taken over by a MWRO person. There are no pipes in the house, no electricity or running water. The woman's plan is to move in with 7 kids, use candles for lights and bottled water for water until she can afford to get the $20k worth of pipes put in.
    According to MWRO she is entitled to stay there for free.
    I am obviously concerned about the health/fire issues related to this along with a ton of other issues. The house is not up for sale yet and my neighbor was going to buy it for her mother. We have been keeping up the yard and keeping it secure.

Is this legal?
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Why is it 20 K for pipes? Tell her to use Pex instead. Way cheaper and worthless to thieves. And, it is really easy for anybody with the correct tools to install.

But that's not what is really bothering you, is it...

call child protection services right away or as soon as you can decently do so mother doesn't suspect you. CPS trumps EVERYBODY. They can decide if that is a fit living situation and what you describe is not.

They may take the children until she develops a better situation. And that would be good. A woman who can't afford to rent a house with plumbing will NEVER be able to afford the work on that house.

And you will have drawn a line in the sand with the MWRO that not everybody is in agreement with their positions on municipal water delivery [[they maintain a basic right and should be free to everyone) and the taking of property.

i would do this in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by SWMAP; July-27-12 at 12:53 PM.

www.detroitwaynecounty4c.org 313 664-0700 has assistance resources for children and families.. possible referals to agencies that may have emergency-help funds, better to approach agencies sooner than later, as autumn/winter is forthcoming..

Thanks for the feedback everyone! [[even townonenorth).