Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ye olde butcher shoppe

Well, the dry goods seem to be filling up the shelves at YOBS...any opening date rumor yet?

Hey look! Another thread about Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe!

what is Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe?

Um, er the small indy meat shop on Woodward, midtown slated to open, well forever.... still waiting... or forgetting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what is Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Well, the dry goods seem to be filling up the shelves at YOBS...any opening date rumor yet?
    Get back to me when they start putting the perishables on the shelves.

I wonder if the city is giving the owner a hard time. If not, he is showing signs of what type of entrepreneur he will be when the market finally opens. He is not getting in contact with the community unlike Lance who had contacted the community when he was opening Lafayette Foods. There are Ye Oldes Butchers Shoppes in other parts of the country. I don't know if they have the same owners as this one does. Most of the shelved products will be old by the time he open his doors. I had spoken to him in late May. He had told me that he was going to open in June. I guess he was lying or could not kept such a promise. He appeared to be nonchalant about opening the market

The store should had opened in Lafayette Park instead of Woodward. It would had been in a better location

Woodward is the better location today
    ...imho but to answer the previous question regarding other YOBS locations, this is the family that ran the Lafayette Park store and not part of a chain. I don't think they will have any problem attracting busiess in the Watson/Woodward location.

Whole food might open first ! they are moving ahead quickly

Finally, an update:

The landlord of the building where Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe intends to open filed for personal bankruptcy in early 2011, and subsequently defaulted on two mortgages, and thus the fine foods grocer planned for 3100 Woodward Ave. in Midtown has been in limbo ever since, co-owner Michael Solaka told MLive today.

"Our deal went sideways, not of our own making," Solaka said, adding that they had signed a lease for the space. "We are still intent on opening and are currently working through a court-appointed receiver to open the store."

Solaka said he was unsure of when this process would be complete, but as soon as it is, the 8,000-square-foot Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe's doors will open.
    http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...e_still_s.html

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Whole food might open first ! they are moving ahead quickly
    Well, it kinda helps when the city basically gives you millions of dollars to open a store ...

True but I think they might have done it any way, also it sucks about YOBS and the building going bankrupt .I was wondering what happen ?

This unfortunate setback plays into the hands of Wholefoods and it's support by the city. Ye Olde Butcher's Shoppe could had rivaled Whole Foods. The report is saying that the building's owner or landlord is in financial trouble and not the market itself who is the tenant. I wish the owner of Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe would come on this site and keep residents abreast of what progress or setback is made or occuring. Lafayette Food owner Lance Atisha had kept the community abreast of the progress of his store before he had opened.

All the lights were on this afternoon and it appeared to have more stock on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by bassab View Post
    All the lights were on this afternoon and it appeared to have more stock on the shelves.
    That had been occuring for about a month

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Ye Olde Butcher's Shoppe could had rivaled Whole Foods.
    So, I wonder about the negative line, quoted above...it appears they are on track to open, so why use the past tense "could".

Is the existing stock on their shelves still any good from when it was first put there months ago...? Ok, just being snarky. I AM looking forward to their opening.

Quote Originally Posted by bassab View Post

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    So, I wonder about the negative line, quoted above...it appears they are on track to open, so why use the past tense "could".
    When is the opening date if they are on track to open? This market had been preparing to open for two years. I would love to see them open. Maybe I should had said "would or will rival" instead of could. Let us see what the owner of the building does. The owner is in financial trouble leaving the tenant in limbo.

I walked by today. All of the lighst are on and they have even started stocking frozen foods in the freezers. A blackboard has some menu items written on it... Seems like it *might* open soon! Does anyone have any details?

I saw that too, also seen the owner training some workers behind the counter. Wearing the uniform and really stocking shelves and freezer quickly. I ask one of the guys standing in there outdoor patio area and he said within a few weeks, I assumed cause of the perfectly fully stocked freezer. It will be a waste to not be able to sell the goods before its no good to eat. Kind of ..weird situation with this market?

Great news! The opening must be soon now, 'finally'. The non-perishable frozen stuff on the shelves has been stocked for many months. The cold stuff will have to be sold sooner or thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I walked by today. All of the lighst are on and they have even started stocking frozen foods in the freezers. A blackboard has some menu items written on it... Seems like it *might* open soon! Does anyone have any details?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-24-12 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I saw that too, also seen the owner training some workers behind the counter. Wearing the uniform and really stocking shelves and freezer quickly. I ask one of the guys standing in there outdoor patio area and he said within a few weeks, I assumed cause of the perfectly fully stocked freezer. It will be a waste to not be able to sell the goods before its no good to eat. Kind of ..weird situation with this market?
    On their facebook page, someone left a comment saying that they heard a rumor that it is going to open next week! I certainly hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    On their facebook page, someone left a comment saying that they heard a rumor that it is going to open next week! I certainly hope so!
    grand opening flyer:

Name:  YOBS_Final_Opening_Flyer [[1).jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  25.3 KB

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

Yep--talked to the guys there--opens Saturday. Gonna try to cater to everyone from the WSU students to the 20-something loft bunch to the biz brigade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast