Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Loyal Order of Moose

Going back through some of the tours I ran across a picture of the LOM lodge that sits abandoned on Cass in pizza pizza land. Now being the curious person I am I did a google search on LOM out and found out that organization is very much alive and active but has a VERY impressive list of notable members. Not only are they active, but they have several lodges in all 50 states In the UK and in Canada, with a membership roll of over 800k. Unfortunatley as we can see the LOM lodge in the D has long sat empty and appears that the closest lodge.its now on East Detroit [[i refuse to call it east pointe) . If you want to read some more on it check out the link.

http://www.mooseintl.org/public/Area/Famous.asp
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; July-27-12 at 03:45 AM.

I attended a couple of functions at this particular lodge when it was a very active one. They had a strong membership and the interior of the building was nicely appointed. One of my lawyer buddies was the Grand Marshall or whatever the head Moose was called.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    I attended a couple of functions at this particular lodge when it was a very active one. They had a strong membership and the interior of the building was nicely appointed. One of my lawyer buddies was the Grand Marshall or whatever the head Moose was called.

the Moosehead?

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    One of my lawyer buddies was the Grand Marshall or whatever the head Moose was called.
    Bullwinkle?

Moose Lodge in Hamtramck is still going strong.

Like the churches, the fraternal orders [[Elks, Moose, Eagles) followed their membership to the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Like the churches, the fraternal orders [[Elks, Moose, Eagles) followed their membership to the suburbs.
    That's funny, because we're seeing some wrinkles in that picture. Warren's Moose Lodge had a lot of members, but was never as big a fund-raiser as Hamtramck's. Finally, Warren was thinking about disbanding due to tight funds. Word was they got in touch with Hamtramck's lodge and asked about a merger. Hamtramck refused, figuring they'd get a whole lot of new members who didn't contribute. Warren disbanded. Hamtramck? Still going strong, with a new generation of younger members, my little old self included. Proud to be a part of one of the biggest fund-raising lodges in the state. Hamtramck may be small, but we punch above our weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's funny, because we're seeing some wrinkles in that picture. Warren's Moose Lodge had a lot of members, but was never as big a fund-raiser as Hamtramck's. Finally, Warren was thinking about disbanding due to tight funds. Word was they got in touch with Hamtramck's lodge and asked about a merger. Hamtramck refused, figuring they'd get a whole lot of new members who didn't contribute. Warren disbanded. Hamtramck? Still going strong, with a new generation of younger members, my little old self included. Proud to be a part of one of the biggest fund-raising lodges in the state. Hamtramck may be small, but we punch above our weight.
    You should be very proud of your lodge's efforts, but fund raising and population shifts are two different topics. Hermod is right. Hamtramck of course is a suburb [[even though we all like to lump it in with Detroit) takes its out of the Detroit equation, and Warren is going through some of the same population shifts that Detroit has been experiencing for the last 50 years support his statement.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    You should be very proud of your lodge's efforts, but fund raising and population shifts are two different topics. Hermod is right. Hamtramck of course is a suburb [[even though we all like to lump it in with Detroit) takes its out of the Detroit equation, and Warren is going through some of the same population shifts that Detroit has been experiencing for the last 50 years support his statement.
    Hahahaha. That statement contains a few of the most indefensible "qualifications" I've heard in a long time.

Yes, Hamtramck is a suburb. Even though it has been incorporated as a city for 90 years. And is completely embedded in the city. And is the densest "suburb" of any city in Michigan. Oh, but, technically, since it was formed as a suburb when the city was south of it, we're going to call it a suburb and point out how, therefore, by that tortured reasoning, it fits in with Hermod's statement, even though he meant the exact opposite thing.

And since Warren is going through some of the same population shift that Detroit has, we're not going to call Warren, Detroit's largest suburb, a suburb at all, thereby bringing it into line with Hermod's statement.

You have some great points there. Too bad you had to entirely derange their meaning and import in order to make them.

Hahahaha. That statement contains a few of the most indefensible "qualifications" I've heard in a long time.

Yes, Hamtramck is a suburb. Even though it has been incorporated as a city for 90 years. And is completely embedded in the city. And is the densest "suburb" of any city in Michigan. Oh, but, technically, since it was formed as a suburb when the city was south of it, we're going to call it a suburb and point out how, therefore, by that tortured reasoning, it fits in with Hermod's statement, even though he meant the exact opposite thing.

And since Warren is going through some of the same population shift that Detroit has, we're not going to call Warren, Detroit's largest suburb, a suburb at all, thereby bringing it into line with Hermod's statement.

You have some great points there. Too bad you had to entirely derange their meaning and import in order to make them.
    What that your fund raising has something to do with where people live? Either you are a suburb or your not and since you are a separately governed area surrounded by Detroit you are still a suburb [[density has nothing to do with a the description of a suburb) and are also experiencing a big population shift also[[bad for your future fund raising)! If you look at the SMSA the religious, professional and fraternal organizations have followed the pop. shifts to the suburbs [[and as with Warren many are experiencing similar shifts). So please tell how many of these organizations are actually left in the city of Detroit limits as compared to the burbs and reference the number of them pre-1960. Guess what they are pretty much all gone from the city!! So I guess I would like to know if you just thought derange sounded good or can you actually back it up?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-27-12 at 04:11 PM.

What that your fund raising has something to do with where people live? Either you are a suburb or your not and since you are a separately governed area surrounded by Detroit you are still a suburb [[density has nothing to do with a the description of a suburb) and are also experiencing a big population shift also[[bad for your future fund raising)! If you look at the SMSA the religious, professional and fraternal organizations have followed the pop. shifts to the suburbs [[and as with Warren many are experiencing similar shifts). So please tell how many of these organizations are actually left in the city of Detroit limits as compared to the burbs and reference the number of them pre-1960. Guess what they are pretty much all gone from the city!! So I guess I would like to know if you just thought derange sounded good or can you actually back it up?
    Well, I never claimed that what I'm talking about is anything other than "interesting wrinkles," did I? Go back and look at the original post and you'll find that I'm talking about an interesting counter-current to the trend Hermod mentions. I don't think I disputed his central point much.

Your efforts, however, to defend Hermod's thesis by implying that Hamtramck is a suburb and Warren is prone to city ills --- and that therefore Hermod is right [[which I don't think I'm disputing really at all) -- is downright comical. I'm laughing.

As for the fund-raising, we call Lodge 1670 the "little lodge with a big heart," because we do successfully raise a lot of money. And all the news isn't bad for Hamtramck. Studies show again and again that people are coming to appreciate walkability and density, something Hamtramck has in spades. And we're lucky to get stream after stream of immigrants, bringing in their energy and resources. It's not easy, Hamtramck is always on the verge of going broke, but I think the prognosis is not all bad. I am hopeful.

Go back and look at the original post and you'll find that I'm talking about an interesting counter-current to the trend Hermod mentions. I don't think I disputed his central point much.
    I don't think you are a counter-current, more of an 'exotic" survival. The presence of your lodge in Hamtramack is not a harbinger of the return of the fraternal orders to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I don't think you are a counter-current, more of an 'exotic" survival. The presence of your lodge in Hamtramack is not a harbinger of the return of the fraternal orders to Detroit.
    As for your second sentence, I challenge you to find where I said that. As for the first sentence, I think I'm a bit better qualified than you to speak about Hamtramck, Detroit and my lodge brothers, thank you very much. If fraternal orders aren't faring well in the city, it is because so many lodges are inhabited by bitter, old, racist retirees who do not want to see any new, young faces. And I am very proud that my lodge bucks that trend, and seems to be full of generous, public-spirited people who value their community and sincerely care about supporting worthy charities.

Well, I never claimed that what I'm talking about is anything other than "interesting wrinkles," did I? Go back and look at the original post and you'll find that I'm talking about an interesting counter-current to the trend Hermod mentions. I don't think I disputed his central point much.

Your efforts, however, to defend Hermod's thesis by implying that Hamtramck is a suburb and Warren is prone to city ills --- and that therefore Hermod is right [[which I don't think I'm disputing really at all) -- is downright comical. I'm laughing.

As for the fund-raising, we call Lodge 1670 the "little lodge with a big heart," because we do successfully raise a lot of money. And all the news isn't bad for Hamtramck. Studies show again and again that people are coming to appreciate walkability and density, something Hamtramck has in spades. And we're lucky to get stream after stream of immigrants, bringing in their energy and resources. It's not easy, Hamtramck is always on the verge of going broke, but I think the prognosis is not all bad. I am hopeful.
    Why not you act as if Hamtramck is some great place, NOT! Just a made up city so 2 industrialists could avoid paying taxes. Laughing is just plain ignorance which is what I expect from you!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-27-12 at 06:52 PM.

Why not you act as if Hamtramck is some great place, NOT! Just a made up city so 2 industrialists could avoid paying taxes. Laughing is just plain ignorance which is what I expect from you!
    Yeah, I like Hamtramck. I do think it's a great place, actually. What's the biggie? To each their own. I kind of like the idea of being able to walk to the store, do my shopping, walking home, or walking home from the bar. Works for me.

And as far as incorporated towns and cities, what isn't a "made-up" place? Whatever Hamtramck's provenance, I daresay it has has more history and culture in 2.2 square miles than, say, all of Clinton Township.

In any event, if you don't like Hamtramck, more power to you. Should you decide to stay far, far away from Hamtramck and never visit it, I think I could console myself ... somehow.

But do keep posting. Your remarks amuse me.

Actually the incorporation of the city was done just for the Dodge Bros. on Henry Ford's advise so Detroit could not annex the city and they would not be forced to pay Detroit taxes. So yes made up. Now Hamtramck Township has a facinating history.

Actually the incorporation of the city was done just for the Dodge Bros. on Henry Ford's advise so Detroit could not annex the city and they would not be forced to pay Detroit taxes. So yes made up. Now Hamtramck Township has a facinating history.
    I am aware of the history of the Dodge brothers and of Henry Ford's role in the incorporation of Highland Park. But don't forget also that these areas of the city had their own character as well. Highland Park was for a time the home of the well-to-do. Hamtramck was an ethnically Polish area, and no doubt that played into its incorporation.

What I don't understand is why you should think Hamtramck Township's history interesting, but dismiss the city of Hamtramck's. After all, you could argue that many factors had a role in the incorporation of Hamtramck: Eastern European ethnicity, a Dodge company town, the "northern migration" of Poles from Detroit, etc. Why is that not interesting but the original township of Hamtramck, essentially an arbitrary assignment of land in Wayne County east of Greenfield Township, fascinating?

I think you're just being silly.

GUSHI Guest

I don't know why anyone is hating on hamtramck, still kicking, still a decent population,still has police and fire who respond, still has house standing, still walkable, still has shopping, maybe Detroit can take notes on it

I am aware of the history of the Dodge brothers and of Henry Ford's role in the incorporation of Highland Park. But don't forget also that these areas of the city had their own character as well. Highland Park was for a time the home of the well-to-do. Hamtramck was an ethnically Polish area, and no doubt that played into its incorporation.

What I don't understand is why you should think Hamtramck Township's history interesting, but dismiss the city of Hamtramck's. After all, you could argue that many factors had a role in the incorporation of Hamtramck: Eastern European ethnicity, a Dodge company town, the "northern migration" of Poles from Detroit, etc. Why is that not interesting but the original township of Hamtramck, essentially an arbitrary assignment of land in Wayne County east of Greenfield Township, fascinating?

I think you're just being silly.
    There is way more than just being "assinged" with the twp history. and yes I know about the history behind both but for me interesting stopped when they came under the control of Ford and Dodge except for the 2 historic districts in HP, the McGregor Library and the churches in both cities. When its all said and done both cities evolved due to their respective major employers and would not be separate entities had there not been a monetary motive. Silly no, but I will be waiting eagerly for the last word you have to get in! Also included an image of Dodge offices.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-27-12 at 09:17 PM.

^^
    I guess that building is long gone?

Stromberg2

Silly no, but I will be waiting eagerly for the last word you have to get in!
    So that's what debating is. You just make your point, and then when somebody responds, you ignore the content of their points, and then post something that doesn't respond to it -- but you accuse them of having to get the last word! Brilliant. That way, you get to run away from the discussion in hopes that you "won" [[do you even know WTF you're arguing about anymore?) and if you didn't "win," then that the other party has to get the last word.

Guess what, p69rrh51? I'm rubber and you're glue -- times infinity.

Why not, you act as if Hamtramck is some great place, NOT! Just a made up city so 2 industrialists could avoid paying taxes. Laughing is just plain ignorance which is what I expect from you!
    So you think Hamtramck is a bad place with no history? You obviously have no clue as to the current state or history of this incredible, colorful, feisty little city.

First a German farming village, then Polish, now multicultural, Hamtown has always welcomed immigrants with open arms. Most of them have achieved the American Dream and done well for generations to come. We have walkable neighborhoods, a wide range of ethnic markets and restaurant for any kind of cuisine and bakeries galore. On top of that, our nightlife isn't too shabby, as there are plenty of bars to wet you whistle in, as well as the legendary Hamtramck Blowout every spring.

Of coarse, if you fall into the anti-immigration, racist tea-party crowd who aren't interested in sampling other culture, then I can see why you'd have issues with my city.

I'm not sure I understand why someone would get their knickers in a twist about Hamtramck over something that happened 100 years ago. Especially since, with the closing of Dodge Main over 30 years ago, those historical facts became almost entirely irrelevant to Hamtramck as it exists today.

Enough of Moose! Vhat about Sqvirrel?

Bullwinkle: Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast