Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Once Upon a Time, there was a Bank, tponetom

Once Upon a Time, there was a BANK

[[Of course this is a fairy tale, because I am full of them.)

When I began making big money in 1942, caddying at the Lochmoor Country Club, I managed to save ten dollars the very first month. It was an ‘automatic given’ that I worked seven days a week and put in 12 hours per day. On average, I made three dollars on Saturday and the same on Sunday. The other five days of the week returned me, a total, of seven dollars. Thirteen dollars a week.
    Some of you might recall my description of my Mother, that being one of a
    CON-Lady, who enforced her demand of my saving one third of my earnings.
    Even today, it takes my breath away.
    But this story is not about that. It is about the way I was treated,,,,, as a customer!
    A branch of the Commonwealth Bank, on E. Forest, was just a few blocks away from our home on McClellan.
    I walked into the Bank and asked a Teller if I could open a Savings Account. She said, “Certainly, just wait a minute, I will get the “Manager.” She walked over to his desk and said something to him. He got up from his chair and walked over to me.
    The teller introduced me to the manager. He shook my hand and said he would be pleased to open an account for me. He did not gush. He did not wink. He told me that my account would pay 2 % yearly interest.
    I kept that account until 1951. I had $ 1,200.00 in it. I made a withdrawal of
    $ 1,000 in order to buy my first gas station, located on E. Warren and Maxwell. It left me with very little capital to run the Station. I opened a Checking Account with the Bank. I quickly learned that I could ask the gasoline delivery dispatcher, to deliver my weekly load of gas, late on Friday afternoon. I would pay the driver with a check that was post dated for the following Monday. A Purist might call it “kiting a check..” I did it for two years without a whimper from anyone.
    Back then, the banking hours for all banks were 9:00 am till 3:00 pm, except for Friday when they stayed open till 6:00. This meant that I had to hustle my fanny to my bank, every Monday morning, to be first in line to cover my Friday Check passing, from keeping it from bouncing.
    Friday afternoon was riotous. Pumping gas and cashing checks for my regular customers. With my small amount of operating capital, I could cash only ten or twelve checks. Then, I would run back to the bank and cash those checks and then hurry back to the Station and cash ten or twelve more. Never once did a check bounce.
    And everything that goes around, comes around. To wit
    2012. [[A week ago.)
    A reminder from my Credit Union in Michigan arrived, to the effect that my Certificate of Deposit would mature in a few days. I told them to re-issue it at the going rate, 5 years at 2.1 %. Just imagine, an increase of one tenth of one per cent,,, and it only took 64 years.

Who would have believed, ten years ago, that CDs would be paying a meager 2.1%? Yes, what goes around comes around!
    Always enjoy your posts, tponetom!
    Peace, to you and Peggy.

I love your stories Tom....keep them coming as you can.

Is this the above mentioned station?

Attachment 14838

Wheels,
    Yes, you took me back 62 years. It was a Texaco Gas Station, unique design.There had to be thousands of them all over the country where Texaco was sold.

I love old gas stations and I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at your location and found this. It is very unique and would be a Jewel of a place to revive. It has stood the test of time. Unfortunately I think it may take a little more than a thousand dollars to bring it back.

Wheels, I have been pulling my hair [[thin as it is) trying to paste the floor plan that I have been belaboring on , for the past hour or so. But I have to give up. Hint: The capital 'x' represents the diagonal line that is the front of the station.
    LOL, Tom

I I X
    I I NORTH
    I H I X
    I O I OFFICE M
    I I I X A
    I S I X
    I T I X =GAS PUMPS- W
    I I E
    I I X L
    I I L
    I I X SOUTH

_[[WEST)______________E. Warren_____________EAST_

That is awesome! Love the picture and the floor plan!

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    Wheels, I have been pulling my hair [[thin as it is) trying to paste the floor plan that I have been belaboring on , for the past hour or so. But I have to give up. Hint: The capital 'x' represents the diagonal line that is the front of the station.
    LOL, Tom

I I X
    I I NORTH
    I H I X
    I O I OFFICE M
    I I I X A
    I S I X
    I T I X =GAS PUMPS- W
    I I E
    I I X L
    I I L
    I I X SOUTH

_[[WEST)______________E. Warren_____________EAST_

Thank you so much for the effort. I get the Idea from your plan and the picture. I wish I could have seen it in its glory days. I worked at a small 3 pump with an overhang Standard on Woodward and Montana in the 60s. It was cookie cutter at the time but only a memory now.