Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Moetown View Post
    The best new burgers to hit town is five guys, http://fiveguys.com/

Its a chain that serves fresh ground beef, never frozen, great grilled hot dogs, and fresh cut fries.. All food is cooked to order, no heat lamps,
    They have locations in macomb on hall rd, warren, 2 in southfield, and coming soon to rochester.

I will be checking out the marcus burger this week.

You aren't kidding. I go to the one on Hall Rd whenever I'm out that way at lunchtime and the food is excellent. Between Five Guys, Potbelly's and Brann's, you have three good choices within feet of each other. Although I don't bother with Potbelly's too much because I can get that downtown.

2. Default

Comet Burger and Little Brothers in Royal Oak are damn fine. Telway at John R and 11 Mile as well.
    Red Coat Tavern on Woodward is excellent. Miller's in Dearborn is still my favorite though.

Cripes, this thread is making me hungry.

I know this stretches the definition of Metro Detroit but a stop at the Halo Burger at Birch Run is must when I'm up that way.I wish they'd open some down here so I didn't have to drive so far for my burger fix.

Geneva's is Not closed. They cut back on open hours.

Rob, bought it from Paul who is now deceased.
    Burgers are still very good, but the place could use a good cleaning.
    It is for sale again......

FlyBy

crawford Guest

Five Guys has nasty burgers. They only serve well-done, which kinda defeats the point. Their fries are decent though.

Red Coat has the best burgers I've tried in metro Detroit. Double cheddar and extra special sauce on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Comet Burger and Little Brothers in Royal Oak are damn fine. Telway at John R and 11 Mile as well.
    Red Coat Tavern on Woodward is excellent. Miller's in Dearborn is still my favorite though.

Cripes, this thread is making me hungry.

Is Red Coat the place that serves Mexican food too? I vaguely remember going there when I worked in Troy way back in the mid-80's.

The Freep had a long list of burger places complete with photos, but I think it got replaced by the list of pizza places that's up now. Here is what I wrote down, based on photos:

Travis Coffee Shop 9 Mile E of 94
    Hunter House 35075 Woodward
    Greenwich Time Pub 130 Cadillac Sq
    Don's of Traverse City- Novi
    Bronx Burger- Warren
    Bagger Dave's- Berkley
    Fiddleheads- Royal Oak
    Zinc Brasserie & Wine Bar- WB
    Poole's Tavern - 8 mile W of 275
    Detroiter Bar 655 Beaubien
    Jaws Jumbo Burgers Farmington
    Sandy's By The Beach 25853 Five Mile
    Checker Bar & Grill 124 Cadillac Sq
    Red Coat Tavern 31542 Woodward
    Cutter's B & G 2638 Orleans
    Mason's B & G 13490 Farmington
    Nemo's Bar Michigan Ave
    Miller's Bar Michigan Ave E of Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Geneva Hamburgers [[Harper/Cadieux).
    That was a favorite of mine, too.

I also used to like Daly's which [[now we're going back 30 or more years) used to be right next door. At least as of the time I left the state in '02, there was still a Daly's in Livonia that my wife and I occasionally went to. Not sure how current this site is, but hopefully it's still around: http://www.metrosaves.com/index.php/...=33&sobi2Id=22

Any list that doesn't contain Harry's bar across the freeway and west a block behind the Fox Theater is not a complete list at all.

Foran's should be on a short list, too.

Ray's picture is of Bates on 5 Mile and Farmington Road out in lively Livonia...my Livonia Friend is giddy over 'em. I think he's as weird as my dad, who is a lifelong White Castle devotee.

If I remember the survey I tried to do years ago...I settled upon Checker and Harry's as my favorites...but that was before Tim took over Foran's.

Had to give up the survey when my body rebelled over the 20-40x increase in my normal red meat consumption over that couple week period...

A friend and I was at Forans, 2 Sundays ago and had the eggs benedict. They were awesome. Next I want to try the Reuben and fish and chips.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    You aren't kidding. I go to the one on Hall Rd whenever I'm out that way at lunchtime and the food is excellent. Between Five Guys, Potbelly's and Brann's, you have three good choices within feet of each other. Although I don't bother with Potbelly's too much because I can get that downtown.

I am in in the one on hall so much that they know me by name,
    There is a difference in quality between the original in southfield and the place on hall.
    I went to southfield 3 times when they opened and 2 of the 3 meals were good.
    The place on hall I am in at least 3 or 4 times a week and never had a problem.
    All are owned by the same group.
    Since fiveguys opened I have not seen a customer in potbellys which is next door.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Five Guys has nasty burgers. They only serve well-done, which kinda defeats the point. Their fries are decent though.

Red Coat has the best burgers I've tried in metro Detroit. Double cheddar and extra special sauce on the side.

Yes they are cooked well done, like most chains. I had one in southfield that was cooked waaaay to much and was not what it should have been, but nowhere close to nasty. I eat at the place on hall all the time, always great. But I still go to millers and red coat, and soon to marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    There is a Marcus near me in the burbs [[14 & Ryan in Sterling Heights to be exact) it used to be very yummy and served hamburgers in a hot dog bun...but over the last 7 or 8 years the place has really gone down hill and has lost the dinner feel..they serve a ton of Polish food now and its decent but i would hardly call any of the food Great..

I was going to try that one thursday after reading the article, since both are owned by the same people. I might just wait until saturday and go to the original marcus, if they are open.

Quote Originally Posted by Moetown View Post
    I was going to try that one thursday after reading the article, since both are owned by the same people. I might just wait until saturday and go to the original marcus, if they are open.
    I happened to be visiting Mt. Olivet Cemetery yesterday so I figured I'd stop in.
    Either the AC wasn't working or they don't have at all. The few fans they had wasn't cutting it. I don't know what the temp is going to be on Saturday, but it was hotter than hell in that place yesterday. If I were you I'd wait for a break in the weather.

Marcus Hamburgers: still as good as the first one. My dad [[Hamtramck High Class of '45) can vouch for that. We tried the Marcus Grill in Shelby Township on Sunday and both Mom and Dad had the burgers. They went back yesterday for more. That says a lot.

I vouch for the burgers and onion rings at Kavan's Colony east in Roseville. Yumm.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I happened to be visiting Mt. Olivet Cemetery yesterday so I figured I'd stop in.
    Either the AC wasn't working or they don't have at all. The few fans they had wasn't cutting it. I don't know what the temp is going to be on Saturday, but it was hotter than hell in that place yesterday. If I were you I'd wait for a break in the weather.

The temps look good for saturday, so I might stop by, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    Marcus Hamburgers: still as good as the first one. My dad [[Hamtramck High Class of '45) can vouch for that. We tried the Marcus Grill in Shelby Township on Sunday and both Mom and Dad had the burgers. They went back yesterday for more. That says a lot.

I vouch for the burgers and onion rings at Kavan's Colony east in Roseville. Yumm.
    The marcus in shelby is on my list, since its closer to me, I will try the original first then the one in shelby...

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    I know nothing about the MarcusBurger in the present day and age. But,,,
    Back in the prehistoric days of the 1940's, the MarcusBurger was considered to be the Cadillac of hamburgers. It was served on a hot dog bun and the 'patty' itself was a one inch square block six inches long. [[think seven day 'medication' pill box.)
    I do not remember the wiener being grilled. I do remember them being served out of a gravy/juice pan with all the glorious globs of gupe heaped on it. I can remember the location on E. McNichols near Mt. Elliot.
    That is the way I remember them too. Sadly I was disappointed about 5 years ago I went to the one on I believe 11 mile and no more "gravy/juice pan with all the glorious globs of gupe heaped on it". They were just regular browned square hamburger on a hotdog bun. I'll have to go try the 6mile location out.
    Last edited by karl jr.; June-27-09 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add

My husband and I are particularly fond of the burgers at Howell Bar in Dearborn [[on Mason, one block off of Michigan Ave.). They also made the Freep list. They are slow-cooked [[yes, that means a wait, usually), inexpensive [[$3.75) and the fries are hand-cut. Truthfully, I have never eaten a better burger in my life. [[At 45, I've eaten a LOT of burgers!) But don't go on Tuesdays, that's the cook's day off. My husband keeps telling me that we need to try the Marcus Burger, though we haven't yet. We'll get there eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmiann View Post
    My husband and I are particularly fond of the burgers at Howell Bar in Dearborn [[on Mason, one block off of Michigan Ave.). They also made the Freep list. They are slow-cooked [[yes, that means a wait, usually), inexpensive [[$3.75) and the fries are hand-cut. Truthfully, I have never eaten a better burger in my life. [[At 45, I've eaten a LOT of burgers!) But don't go on Tuesdays, that's the cook's day off. My husband keeps telling me that we need to try the Marcus Burger, though we haven't yet. We'll get there eventually!
    Marcus Burgers are great, but they're more mass produced, cooked differently and not quite in the same league as Howell Bar. Just a different type of eating experience.

For a truly great burger, try the Sidetrack in Ypsilanti's depot town. Rated in Esquire magazines top 20 in the USA. Its inside an old historic building.

I almost mentioned Marcus Burgers to my Uncles today, Glad I didn't get the one started.Howells on the other hand might be the best burgers that I have yet to try. First time there they quit making food after 8pm , Then last monday went there and it was TACO night. Excellent tacos for the price.

I had a marcus Marcus burger at the Van Dyke and 25 mile location and it was good but overpriced. $3.25 with cheese. They aren't that big and don't come with fries too. I coulda ate 3 of 'em no problem. I guess its a tradition type thing.

the long hamburger [[on a hot dog bun formula) was copied by at least one other place-Blakeney's Ranch House, which started out on Davison, and later moved to Farmington Hills. I wonder if they are the establishment sued by Mr. Marcus decades ago...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast