Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Detroit's Agony

Default Detroit's Agony

I believe the Primetime Live segment on Detroit from 1990 has been brought up before on here. Well I accidentaly stumbled upon this segment on Youtube the other day. If you search for "Detroit's Agony" on YouTube you can view this as well.

It is truly amazing that in 22 years, the more things change, the more they stay the same. If this aired today, it would still seem 90% relevent. Some of it is an exageration I believe however. Also, they may the play the race card and blame things on race even a little too much in my opinion. While 22 years ago, race relations may have been much worse than they are now, I still don't know if it was always this much of a Black vs. White thing. The city at the time was 70% Black, yet this segment acts like it was 95% Black with no Blacks living in the suburbs.

Also, Coleman Young acted more like a fool than I even remember! What an embarassment.

Thanks for the info! Just watched it. What an eerie prophecy. While much has improved, like regional politics and the positiveness of Detroit in the national media, we still have a way to go.

[[sorry for the bunched up words…this website always gives meproblems when I post)

Wow!

It's frightening to see how spot on some of those statswere. Cmubryan, I agree with your comment, "the more things change, themore they stay the same." Those news clips seem like yesterday and I haveto say in regards to the tone of the racial conversation, I know for a factthose feelings still exist between blacks and whites. It was a different timethen and people didn't have to worry about being politically correct. Mostpeople would be put on blast for speaking their minds like that today. So it's notas blatant [[racism). I know in my own circle and in my own family we discussracial barriers amongst blacks and whites in the city. And I have white friendswho tell me their families feel the same way as the man who hates blacks. Itmakes you wonder, is Detroit getting stronger or are things still the same? Myfeeling is Detroit is still under black political power and things are reallynot that much different. I've been watching the same political discourse takeplace for decades. Even up until today with Mayor Bing and the city councilgetting into a riff with Lansing. And the Bing/Snyder riff is only thebeginning. Sooner or later the words "take over" will be used toexpress what blacks think Snyder is attempting to do.

In my opinion, unless Detroit goes into Bankruptcy the citywill continue to die a very slow death. It's time to stop the bleeding, file Bankruptcyand start rebuilding debt free. I don't know...

Very interesting.

There ain't much to "Take Over" anymore. Guys that cry about 10% wage cut might want to consider how a 100% wage cut might feel like. Hard times are upon us.