Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default LeDuff and Homeowner waiting for Police after break-in

A lack of Detroit Police response in its ghettohoods means that folks are still leaving. Few businesses who work in the City of Detroit will have to rely on their private security to catch the perps. Mayor Bing, the City Council and even Gov. Snyder seen this matter, but no regional dollars mean financial collapse its public services. So folks in Detroit will to live the days of the Old Wild West! Pack your guns and be ready for a shootout at the coral!

Unfortunately it's the police officers that get the grief from the citizens because they show up so late or not at all. People have to remember, the officers are dispatched from a communications center, the communications center takes it's orders from a chief of communications, the chief of communications is told how to dispatch, which units to send, when to send them. Until Godbee changes how things are done within the Detroit Police Department and actually implements those changes, nothing is going to change.

Just don't blame the officers, they are there, they want to do their job to protect and serve, they are unaware of a problem until dispatch lets them know.

LeDuff really is a strange guy. He has disturbingly similar nervous ticks to meth addicts I've known.

Did you see the news last night where's he's taking a manic bubble bath, waiting for the police?

And I don't really get the issue. Why would the police prioritize break-ins when the assailants are no longer at the scene? Obviously they will respond to those crimes after the higher priority calls have been completed.

If you had the same incident, and the suspects were still at the scene, obviously the call would have been prioritized.

I saw that report too and found it embarrassing. I understand the demands of ratings and the need for gimmicks in the competitive news industry, but that one was a new low for a formerly renowned journalist.

I likewise found the bath scene and frenetic behavior disturbing.

I like Charlie - but the bathtub was a little overboard, lol. I was cringing, I mean, he literally got in her tub? I hope he had on shorts that we just couldn't see!

I think LeDuff is a great reporter and much of his work in the relatively new medium of video is brilliant. he is trying to tell us that we are in a circus, that the sky is falling, that there are terrible forces at work. Are you listening or are you focused on mere polite standards of behavior.

Charlie comes From a long line of King's Fools and the sad clowns and the people who tell un-like and un-savory truths cloaked in merry-making. He is the child who points out that the emperor has no clothes when everyone else averts their eyes in deference to propriety.

When they pixelated his ass you can bet I averted my eyes! LOL!

..the sensationalized angle may have blunted the message for some.. burgers, baths, wearing a woman's robe..

i just want services to get better. But they are not. Many people are leaving, have left, or are making plans to.. it's a terrible condition..

Yeah it was too much - the tub scene. Sorta creepy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I saw that report too and found it embarrassing. I understand the demands of ratings and the need for gimmicks in the competitive news industry, but that one was a new low for a formerly renowned journalist.

I likewise found the bath scene and frenetic behavior disturbing.

I can't stand him and his antics. His reports look like some D Class newscast. Completely unprofessional and embarrassing. I'm fairly certain I've seen better reporting by college programs.

I thought it was a little over the top. Obviously, he's trying to be amusing and entertaining. I thought it was all of the above.

In 1969, our student apartment on Second next to the Bronx Bar was burgled. The perp broke the padlock that held our door closed. He or she left the nice big screw driver they used, and took our family heirloom clock radio, about $3.00 in change and maybe a toaster, I can't remember what all but we didn't have much to begin with. We called the police and were told to come in and file a report since the burglar was no longer present. Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

I hope it's clear to everyone that LeDuff is injecting humor into these otherwise horrible situations. While humor is certainly subjective, and pretty much always unprofessional to some degree, it can entertain and resonate with certain people. You can hear the same story told 5 different ways before you grasp it.

Personally, I haven't been offended by his brand of entertainment.

I used to think LeDuff was funny until he did a report on my friends company that was filled with lies. The lies were so bad that they sued Fox over the report and won. Fox News had to apologize on the air for the lies they reported. Google LeDuff and read about why he's been fired from several other jobs. LeDuff is a scum bag.

I threw up a little in my mouth after picturing Chuckles in a bath tub and bath robe.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    LeDuff is a scum bag.
    Well then it's no surprise he ended up at WJBK.

Tabloid journalism at it's worst.

Come on, in the woman's bathtub?

Not too many would describe LeDuff as a cheap tabloid journalist. He is striking new ground. Here's what Deadline Detroit reports about him:

His new local stardom is the result of many things. He has thrown out the rules of how to be a TV reporter. He does not comb his hair every day and almost never dresses up. He stares into the camera and makes funny faces. On camera he wears sun glasses and talks with a swagger, referring to the mayor as “Dave” and the county executive as “Bob.” He does not stand in front of darkened buildings for a 10:00 p.m. “live shot” to talk about an event that happened hours earlier. He works for Fox 2, Detroit’s brashest TV news operation. He is funny. He stands up for the little guy, attacks the powerful, says what’s on his mind and talks about how what’s happening in Detroit is part of a larger story, like the restructuring of class in American society.
    “Not enough cops, not enough ambulances. The politicians promise to make it better, BUT IT’S A LIE,” LeDuff declared as he introduced a Fox 2 story about a broken-down EMS rig during raging gunfire on New Year’s Eve
    “He's one of the most original reporters to hit the airwaves in a long time,” said Tim Kiska, a journalism professor at the University of Michigan-Dearborn who has written three books about the history of Detroit television news. “He doesn't look like a TV reporter. He doesn't sound like a TV reporter. But that's his strength. He reaches out of the screen and grabs you. He connects with viewers.”

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I thought it was a little over the top. Obviously, he's trying to be amusing and entertaining. I thought it was all of the above.

I agree. Charlie LeDuff may be eccentric but I appreciate his work.

[QUOTE=SWMAP;332694]Not too many would describe LeDuff as a cheap tabloid journalist. He is striking new ground.

I kind of agree with you insofar as the surreal nature of a lot of Detroit happenings lends itself to the over the top style. What is more jarring is the mock concerned look a lot of anchors have when describing a horrific crime and the accompanying jokes and cheerful banter when they sign off. S'no wonder newscasts are pushers for hemorrhoid creams and antidepressants to the masses. Oy veh!

What is more embarrassing:
    1. An investigative journalist who waits with a crime victim and happens to take a bath during the report, or
    2. The Detroit Police Department's total inability to handle crime in an efficient manner?

...remember everyone...it's not the Police Officer or the Firefighter that you should be upset with...it's the administration, their bosses, who make policy and who requires each individual to follow procedure.

Police and Fire personnel aren't just sitting on their butts, ignoring the public and ignoring important calls. They go where they are told to go, they have to be where they are told to be. I am really getting tired of the employees getting the blame for $hit that happens in Detroit when it's not their fault.

If I were to be in front of a camera doing a report with no formal training , my report wouldn't be any different which is exactly what I like about him . He's not one to go for the oke doke , like some reporters , he talks my language . It must be his native american heritage lol I didn't see the story , but maybe he wanted to soak his leg he injured this last Sunday in a benefit ball game for Cystic Fibrosis ... Media vs Law enforcement Godbee was smaller than I expected , Hackel bigger than I expected , the I.C.E. agents were all huge as expected

btw I lived in Detroit many years and to get a cop to come down a residential street was like pulling teeth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast