Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bing rejects state plan to tear down blighted structures.

Are there those that still defend this do-nothing, lying geriatric?

I voted for Bing, and not for Snyder. I think they both came in with agendas.

At least Snyder didn't attempt to hide his bullshit.

At least he's had the balls to impose his will.

Now this fool is crying because a deal he signed off on, threatened the city's lawyer over, is is doing what it was designed to do.

And he's asspained because an actual concrete plan and activity is about to run roughshod over his pie in the sky, wrongheaded "rightsizing".

Does Bing have any kids? If he's this dickless in all facets of his life I can't imagine so.

It seems like political posturing to me. He wants to look like the man who fought for Detroit, just in case he wants to run for mayor again and to keep the heat from the residents off of him. Personally, I think he should let this happen. I don't understand why Detroit wants to slap away any hand that tries to help.

No - not just about the posturing. Charlie LeDuff is probably right - EVERYTHING is about the contracts.
    Bing is going to need money to run again and lots of the big funders are on the fence - right?
    The Detroit demo contractors will be a certain audience for writing checks to Bingcan protect their interests. They are probably already in the pot. If the State comes in its a whole new ballgame for demo and hauling and remediating, etc.
    Think how rich Bobby Ferguson got doing demo.
    No - its all about the contracts - even for Bing.

Bing knows how bad it's gonna look when Snyder shows you can demo houses at less than half what he's been shelling out.

I think some of it is posturing. But on the practical side, you can't have two entities, with uncoordinated plans, or no plan at all, tearing down buildings in the city.

The governor should identify the funds the state would like to contribute, ask the city for a plan on how they would use those funds [[identifying any stipulations or limitations the state would put on its use) and then approve or request modification to the city's proposal. That's how adults without a hidden agenda would handle it.

Alternatively, the governor can simply become mayor of Detroit and decide himself which buildings will be demolished first. The city would relinquish all responsibility for demolitions to the governor under this scenario and the governor could design New Detroit.

I think the "rightsizing" is pie in the sky. But on the other hand, what exactly is the plan under which the governor's demolition targets fall?

Bing is unspeakable slime. He should have stopped at basketball, but apparently he has a penchant for running large enterprises into the ground, then inexplcably moving onto the next one. The governor needs to get that new bridge built so Bing can jump off it and spare us from enduring his miserable existence.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Bing knows how bad it's gonna look when Snyder shows you can demo houses at less than half what he's been shelling out.

I don't know what they're paying, but why would it cost more than about $1,000 to knock down most derelict houses? A couple of hours of dozer time at $200/hr including operator and some truck hauling. Crap, most of them are almost falling down by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    No - not just about the posturing. Charlie LeDuff is probably right - EVERYTHING is about the contracts.
    Bing is going to need money to run again and lots of the big funders are on the fence - right?
    The Detroit demo contractors will be a certain audience for writing checks to Bingcan protect their interests. They are probably already in the pot. If the State comes in its a whole new ballgame for demo and hauling and remediating, etc.
    Think how rich Bobby Ferguson got doing demo.
    No - its all about the contracts - even for Bing.
    THIS> Bing is a businessman, he's mostly concerned with how his old and new corporate connections can get him funded. Most residents next door to a burnt-out house will want it torn down no matter who does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't know what they're paying, but why would it cost more than about $1,000 to knock down most derelict houses?
    Insurance / Asbestos abatement?

I don't know what they're paying, but why would it cost more than about $1,000 to knock down most derelict houses? A couple of hours of dozer time at $200/hr including operator and some truck hauling. Crap, most of them are almost falling down by themselves.
    Usually runs 4 to 5 thousand in most cities. Detroit's costs are double that, last I heard. I haven't a clue why, outside of the stifling maze of regulations that is the City of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Usually runs 4 to 5 thousand in most cities. Detroit's costs are double that, last I heard. I haven't a clue why, outside of the stifling maze of regulations that is the City of Detroit.
    Okay, Bring on Duggan. I am over this clown now. How disgusting. It's clear the city doesn't actually want to fix these issues, they just want to collect state money and dole it out to their friends. The city should not be given one single dime. All funds to improve the city should go through the state. He is probably embarrassed at the cost efficiency that will be shown and people will wonder why the city wasted so much money doing the same job. He also will be embarrassed when the governor takes one month to do what it took the city years to do. I really hope the consent agreement allows the governor to run rough shod over the mayor and do this anyways. The buildings need to come down and Belle needs to be taken care of and rehabbed by the state. I hope the council/mayor hear the wrath of citizens on this one!

JBMcB already mentioned insurance and asbestos abatement.

I'm sure it takes more than two hours to tear down the average home, especially if it is brick. There is a need to ensure that the utilities are cut off safely. There is also the need to backfill and regrade the big hole that is left. Remember, most homes in Detroit have basements and fairly solid foundations. Hauling away the debris can be a significant cost. Is there any lead paint there?

I seem to remember the cost being about $7000 - $8000 to tear down a house. I doubt Snyder can do it for half that.

Dear Mr. Bing,

Governor Snyder is an elected official representing Detroit. You are an elected official representing Detroit. Neither of you own a speck of dirt in Detroit. He appears to be trying to do something for Detroit. What are YOU doing?

You are personally invited to move back into the home that you own in Franklin, Michigan.

Best of luck in your retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Dear Mr. Bing,

Governor Snyder is an elected official representing Detroit. You are an elected official representing Detroit. Neither of you own a speck of dirt in Detroit. He appears to be trying to do something for Detroit. What are YOU doing?

You are personally invited to move back into the home that you own in Franklin, Michigan.

Best of luck in your retirement.
    You know, I consider myself to be a liberal person and was suspicious at first of Snyder's plans. So far I like his proposals for Detroit and they have really highlighted how corrupt the city is. I doubt the residents care who tears these houses down, they just want them down now before their children have to walk through them to get to school! Way to go Bing, more upset that he can't get city paws on the money than he is upset about children he is supposed to represent being safe in a timely manner. Also, why drag your feet on finding a way to rehab Belle? It can be a crown jewel that attracts thousands of people again. I am glad I will be a citizen of the city when the next election rolls around that's for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Okay, Bring on Duggan. I am over this clown now. How disgusting. It's clear the city doesn't actually want to fix these issues, they just want to collect state money and dole it out to their friends. The city should not be given one single dime. All funds to improve the city should go through the state. He is probably embarrassed at the cost efficiency that will be shown and people will wonder why the city wasted so much money doing the same job. He also will be embarrassed when the governor takes one month to do what it took the city years to do. I really hope the consent agreement allows the governor to run rough shod over the mayor and do this anyways. The buildings need to come down and Belle needs to be taken care of and rehabbed by the state. I hope the council/mayor hear the wrath of citizens on this one!
    Oh my goodness!

You're reacting with such disgust without even knowing for sure if the information is accurate and without really knowing what it takes to tear down a building? You can't necessarily compare Detroit to just any city because, again, it depends on the type of housing stock. It depends on environmental factors. It even depends on how close houses are to each other, which might complicate things.

Rest assured Snyder cannot accomplish years worth of demolitions in a month, because it is not just a matter of having money. In fact, please remember when Bing first got in office. His demolition people set out tearing down buildings in a certain area of the city and were stopped by THE STATE because they had not gotten the proper permits and clearances.

It just seems that whenever Bing speaks out to the media he is posturing for the electorate or his pride. Why can't he negotiate with Snyder behind the scenes and then, if he feels he must go to the media, air his specific grievances. i.e. "Mr. Snyder wants to do A and B. I've voiced my concerns to him and these are the specific sticking points we are having." Instead he appears totally unprofessional.

Lead paint dust and asbestos dust can be 'abated' with a fine water spray.

Ordinance and permit requirements can be suspended.

Utilities can be cut off in minutes, if they're still connected.

Brick and some other items can be sold or recycled if they are still there.

Bigger house? Get a bigger dozer.

Bigger building, bring more than one dozer.

Contractor prices too high? Stop laying off city employees and let them do it. Have the Army Corps of Engineers or their National Guard or Reserve branches do it for training.

For that matter, find a heavy equipment operator school and let them do it for training their students. Make them use some high school kids as vocational training programs [[with proper protections in place of course).

Lots of unemployed or underemployed people out there -- hire some of them to do the grunt work.

Lots of experienced scrappers out there. Pay them for honest sanctioned work.

Drop the can'ts, don'ts and too difficults and just get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It just seems that whenever Bing speaks out to the media he is posturing for the electorate or his pride. Why can't he negotiate with Snyder behind the scenes and then, if he feels he must go to the media, air his specific grievances. i.e. "Mr. Snyder wants to do A and B. I've voiced my concerns to him and these are the specific sticking points we are having." Instead he appears totally unprofessional.
    That I agree with.

The only thing that I can think is that perhaps he is feeling disrespected if Snyder is just announcing his own plans without consulting Bing. This would make the behavior on both sides inappropriate, because then you have to assume they are both playing to public opinion. They should be coordinating this effort and probably making a joint announcement. That's what partners do.

Things are hardly ever as simple as "Can't, don't or too difficult"

They are generally about doing things in a manner that doesn't cause more harm than good. They are often about doing things in a manner that doesn't end up costing more because you were cutting corners. They are typically about realizing that the devil is often in the details. All of those details are the things that complicate tearing down houses and making it more expensive than we laypersons might think is reasonable. Not that it can't be done, or shouldn't be done, or couldn't be done better, just that it is not as simple as "Let's bulldoze it in 2 hours and be done with it."

A quick check of average cost of housing demolition says cost is $6 - $15 per square foot, depending on some of the considerations I and others have already mentioned. What is the average sq. ft. of a house in Detroit? Probably at least 1000 sq. ft.?

Amendment: Latest estimate for demolition in the city, as reported by the Freep, is $8000 apiece.
    Last edited by Locke09; July-25-12 at 11:53 AM. Reason: new info

Lead paint dust and asbestos dust can be 'abated' with a fine water spray.

Ordinance and permit requirements can be suspended.

Utilities can be cut off in minutes, if they're still connected.

Brick and some other items can be sold or recycled if they are still there.

Bigger house? Get a bigger dozer.

Bigger building, bring more than one dozer.

Contractor prices too high? Stop laying off city employees and let them do it. Have the Army Corps of Engineers or their National Guard or Reserve branches do it for training.

For that matter, find a heavy equipment operator school and let them do it for training their students. Make them use some high school kids as vocational training programs [[with proper protections in place of course).

Lots of unemployed or underemployed people out there -- hire some of them to do the grunt work.

Lots of experienced scrappers out there. Pay them for honest sanctioned work.

All the over-regulation of the world make this idea a can't.

Mayor Bing on denial of Gov. Snyder's plan to demolish abandon Detroit homes near a public school.

"Synder, you're not the Mayor of Detroit, I AM! Let me handle city business. You handle your business in Lansing."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Mayor Bing on denial of Gov. Snyder's plan to demolish abandon Detroit homes near a public school.

"Synder, you're not the Mayor of Detroit, I AM! Let me handle city business. You handle your business in Lansing."
    Detroit, MICHIGAN

Lots of 'shape-shifting' regarding Bing! One moment he is cutting a department, closing a fire station, then the next he is 'ambling' and bambling about NOT doing or allowing something else?

Um... he is the defacto EFM, sorta... at points, but eh' the shoes hurt I suppose.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-12 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    All the over-regulation of the world make this idea a can't.
    A simple State of Emergency declaration negates the can'ts.

It's been done before in similar situations.

Mayor Dave Bing is an Emergency Financial Manager. We just don't know it until the massive Detroit city government cuts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast