Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WXYZ Ch. 7's Diana Lewis tells Crain's she'lll retire in October after 44 years on TV

Diana Lewis, a fixture on WXYZ-Channel 7’s evening newscast, will retire in October after 44 years on television, she told Crain’s Tuesday afternoon.
    The Detroit ABC affiliate will announce her decision today.

Lewis, 69, will co-anchor the station’s 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. “Action News with JoAnne Purtan” for the final time Oct. 4, she said. No replacement has been announced.

She joined WXYZ on July 4, 1977, and co-anchored the evening news with Bill Bonds. She left the station for a few years in the mid-1980s before returning to Detroit.

“I am very excited, very grateful. I thank God I am healthy, I feel good. I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life. I did it my way,” she said. “I can look in the mirror and say, ‘I am fulfilled.’ It’s been 44 years. It’s time for a new chapter for me. I want to relax and cook and do some things with my husband.”

Link

Bill Shea
    Last edited by BShea; July-25-12 at 09:38 AM.

Aw, love her, even though I don't watch anymore. I think I've watched her for at least 40 of those years. Wish her the best.

Sorry to see her go. I love her and her daughter Glenda. [[thanks to jackie for the correction).

Enjoy your retirement Diana, you deserve the best.
    Last edited by cla1945; July-25-12 at 12:06 PM.

Still so damn fine.

I'd knock the dust off that in a second.

Fine indeed...to still look that good at 69 she has it going on...Farewell and Good luck Mrs Lewis on a well deserved retirement, as they say "thanks for the memories" as many of us grew up with you in our living rooms. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Sorry to see her go. I love her and her daughter Carolyn.
    Enjoy your retirement Diana, you deserve the best.
    Her daughter is Glenda.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Her daughter is Glenda.
    Oops! Thank you for the correction...brain cells getting older.

She has been around a long time. If you watch the movie Rocky she was in it interviewing Balboa in the meat locker.

Her friend Bill Bonds was in an even older movie.... One of the Planet of the Apes! [[no he did not play an ape!)

about time...just talking about that yesterday. i like her but her run is a little over do.

I think Deadline Detroit broke this story early Wednesday morning.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...lling_it_quits

I'm sorry but what you are seeing on TV is a ton of makeup. I remember a channel 7 news "special" where it showed Diana in her morning routine. If you saw her without makeup, you might not even recognize her. In fact, you may run for your life. The hair may be a wig also.
    I'm not trying to put her down, just please, enough with the "looking good" talk.
    As far as her daughter goes,does "Airhead" come to mind. Just some normal cronyism going on I suspect. Just smile and read the news. Nothing going on in here.
    So now Don Shane and Diana are gone. When is it Guy's turn?

She is the last of the old crew at channel 7 to retire. After seeing Jerry Hodak, Eric Smith and Don Shane leave the last few years, I'm not surprised it's her turn now.