Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Drew Lane to return to WRIF !

from wrif.com :
    July 13th, 2009 - only on 101 WRIF!
    Yes, it's TRUE!! After an extended hiatus, Drew Lane is returning to the morning airwaves here at 101 WRIF!!
    For more than 14 years, Drew and Mike have reigned as the top morning show in Detroit. Their return to the airwaves will give a needed boost to a city and region that could use some good news!
    So please join us in welcoming Drew Lane back to the airwaves here at 101.1 as he reunites with Mike Clark, bringing back Detroit’s most popular morning show.
    Drew’s first day back on the air will be Monday, July 13th
    Your loyalty to WRIF Mornings over the past year has been greatly appreciated by Mike, Marc, Trudi and Jamie.
    Check it OUT!! Be sure to tune in via the Drew & Mike Webcam and On-Air on Monday morning, July 13th!

Haha, I guess Drew's big plans didn't pan out eh?

What a farce.

Drew!.....

I'd only get excited about a DJ, if JP would come back and do drive time.

or Famous Coachman rose from the grave ! RIP Coachman.

Screw Drew, bring back Electrofying Mojo!

I love Mike in the Morning and I still listened every day, but the show wasn't the same without Drew.!.! Welcome back.

2blocksaway Guest

niiiiiiiiice!!!

mike sucks by himself.

welcome back drew!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Screw Drew, bring back Electrofying Mojo!
    I couldn't agree more. There will never be another Electrifying Mojo. Most of today's DJs don't hold a candle. Of course, they didn't back then, either!

cheddar bob Guest

Drew blows.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I'd only get excited about a DJ, if JP would come back and do drive time.
    Don't think that's happening.

What pisses me off about Drew and Mike is they play no music what so ever they need to play at least a few songs if I wanted talk radio I would listen to talk radio. To me there selling out like for the Money like MTV has Wheres the music ??

While I really only listen to Mike in the morning in the summer, I always keep thinking Wheres DREW?.Now I know.I also still miss the Coachman and The Electrafiying Mojo.

Well, I've met Mike Clark and he's a heck of a nice guy, and did a decent job with the radio program, but I always thought the banter between Drew and Mike was something worth listening to, so the show will be better with Drew back on. I'm curious what happened, since Drew had basically said the whole problem was he didn't want to do morning drive anymore.

One of the nice things living around here is you have so many choices for your radio entertainment. If you like just music [[as one of our colleagues alluded to, complaining about the all-talk format of much morning radio), you can always go with the all-music but zero-personality "Doug", where the only voices you hear are the annoyingly smarmy nonlocal recorded guy and the drunk callers. If you like actual music and some personality with it, WDET has a lot of great shows, my fave being "Essential Music" with Ann Delisi on the weekends [[but I'm biased; I know Ann). We have Classic Rock, "smooth jazz" [[whatever that means exactly), hip-hop, bubblegum [[or whatever they call what 96.3 plays), sports talk, whatever you like.

We'll never again have anything quite like the Amazing Air Aces or what CKLW was doing with Rosalie Trombley at the helm in the '60s and '70s, but shit, we have it pretty good with regard to our radio choices around here. And if you don't like anything in Detroit, you can listen to Windsor or Chatham!

Drew struck out on his own just before the whole stock market problem happened. I would think that he is:

a.) broke

or

b.) not such a hot product in a down market

or

c.) all the above

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    One of the nice things living around here is you have so many choices for your radio entertainment.

You are kidding, right?

The Detroit Radio market BLOWS. Same corporate playlists as all the other markets the owners are in. Too much drek the wade through.

Ann Delisi has one of the few great shows in the market.

I have been streaming 94.9 fron San Dieago at work for the past month and it is worlds better than anything in the Detroit market. Great mix of artists - Zepplin, Sex Pistols, X, Rollins, Black Flag, Radiohead, Eagles of Deathmetal, Roxy Music, Stranglers, The Jam, MGMT, Crocodials, Verve, Soundgarden, Suicidal Tendancies [[Have you ever heard ST's in the Detroit market?), Pheonix, Talking Heads...... If it sounds like a Halloran playlist it is, he is the PD.

I'd rather hear the Electrifyin' Mojo, too.
    Or Ann Delisi.

Never understood the attraction of "talk radio", and this thread reminds me of a song written by Marc Platt, titled "I Hate My Radio"!

I wonder if Mike will have to revert to his former second-banana status, or if it will be a 50-50 relationship. I'll bet he's become a bit too comfortable with his big boy britches [[if his faux "I'm a common man suffering just as much as yew!" commentaries are any indication.)

When's Arthur P coming back?

I hope this means Drew's significant other is doing well.

I listened to Drew and Mike for several years [[starting with Drew and Zip, actually). In the earlier years they played some music and they had TC [[he did Bobby Knight, Keith Jackson, Howard Cosell, etc). I thought their show was great back then. They had some other good regular features too. Then they lost TC and quit playing music, and it was nothing but Drew and Mike talking. After a while I got tired of it just being those two. Doubt I'll listen much now, unless something changes. I rarely ever tune in to WRIF in the morning these days, and if I do I don't leave it on very long.

One of the nice things living around here is you have so many choices for your radio entertainment.

Thats B.S. if your a rocker there are not many choices in the morning I do listen to Canadian Radio in the morning but I'm also find with today's technology listening less to WRIF and more to my ipod on my Iphone and internet radio you want killer Radio listen to Pandora.com online or one of the many other internet stations Pandora also has an Iphone application. I want to support Local Radio but if there not giving what I want I'm going else where

I personally missed Drew Lane very much. It wasn't so much the banter between him and Mike, but I really liked his wit.
    I found I agreed with him on most issues and I laughed frequently at his off-the-cuff remarks and jokes.
    The only time I did not care for their show was when they spent an inordinate amount of time talking about shows like "the bachelor, or American Idol".
    He was knowledgeable about Detroit sports and was great at taunting rival cities.
    Who can forget "Donut Shop terrorism".
    All in all it will be good to have him back. There is currently no radio drive time show that I care for. D and D on CSX are not likeable guys and Mike Clark was
    not ready to take it on all by himself.
    I hope his Girlfriend is healed and that he is ready for the road ahead.
    Welcome back Drew!

Drew gave a pretty in-depth interview to the Freep last year. He spoke about the back and forth with management. He also said something about how Mike was less likely to up and split because Mike has less of an industry background than Drew. Drew has worked in many different markets. Mike used to work for Detroit Edison [[I think). Drew didn't appear to be too pissed and he understood the whole thing as just the way the industry goes. Probably why he signed to do mornings again instead of holding out for afternoons. With all his time off, if some station wanted him for afternoons then he'd be someplace else.

Any chance they could bring back Drew and ditch Mike?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast