Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State dumps dirt on Moroun's ramp

I had to laugh at this for several reasons. First, it is nice to see Mr. Moroun get a taste of his own medicine. And second, I do believe it's an only-in-Detroit moment.

http://freep.com/article/20090623/CO...wly+paved+ramp

I hope the onion gets wind of this one it would be great.... especially since they were publicising this as a major announcement see the notice to the press below...

MEDIA ADVISORY: DETROIT INTERNATIONAL BRIDGE COMPANY TO MAKE MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT AMBASSADOR BRIDGE GATEWAY PROJECT AND ITS IMPACT ON BORDER TRAFFIC
    WHAT: The Detroit International Bridge Company [[DIBC), owners of the Ambassador Bridge , will make a major announcement at a press conference onsite at the Bridge about the Ambassador Bridge Gateway Project and its impact on the efficiency of international traffic at the U.S.-Canada border. A site tour will immediately follow.

WHERE: 3400 West Lafayette
    Detroit , MI
    For directions, please see attached map or contact Ken Dobson at
    [[313) 363-2879

WHO: Dan Stamper, President of the Detroit International Bridge Company

WHEN: 10:30 AM, Tuesday, June 23, 2009

BACKGROUND: The Detroit International Bridge Company and the Michigan Department of Transportation [[MDOT) entered into the Ambassador Partnership, an agreement to complete the Ambassador Bridge and accommodate a replacement span to the 80-year-old structure. Part of the Project includes building a new plaza and ramps to connect the Ambassador Bridge to I-75, I-96 and I-94. The Project, slated to be completed next month, will impact the efficiency of passenger traffic and international commerce.

About the Detroit International Bridge Company
    The Detroit International Bridge Company owns the Ambassador Bridge , which stands as an international symbol and link between Detroit and Windsor , Ontario . The Ambassador Bridge is the nation’s number one border crossing, handling 26 percent of trade between the US and Canada. Built in 1929 by private funds, the Ambassador Bridge was established with unique obligations and rights to meet the needs of commerce and trade by Canada , Great Britain and the United States . The Detroit International Bridge Company believes in the development and wellness of the local community and supports a variety of local organizations, charities and universities. www.ambassadorbridge.com

Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't dirt?

I was there he actually said we don't know what type of dirt it is and seemed to serve no purpose.....

someone call the hog farm!

He said something like, "Mrs. Granholm: Tear down this wall!"

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    I was there he actually said we don't know what type of dirt it is and seemed to serve no purpose.....

What were the questions that the guys there were asking before the reporters started asking theirs? I couldn't quite hear them from my vantage point.

Kraig do you mean about the illegal seizure of 23rd street, if the trucks would be exiting the freeway without using surface streets and what the DIBC defines as affecting anyone? when they said their bridge doesn't affect anyone....

Kraig do you mean about the illegal seizure of 23rd street, if the trucks would be exiting the freeway without using surface streets and what the DIBC defines as affecting anyone? when they said their bridge doesn't affect anyone....

If those were the questions, yes. Like I said i couldn't hear them from where I was. All I could see was the look on the DIBC guys face when they started asking questions. I didn't know what the questions were, but, he looked as though a drunk relative had walked in the room.

I wonder what will happen when the DIBC removes the dirt?

I just learned an interesting tidbit.

Matty's family was displaced in Windsor by the BUILDING of the Ambassador Bridge.

They then moved to Detroit.

It is a wonder what early childhood trauma might cause an individual to act out childishly as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I just learned an interesting tidbit.

Matty's family was displaced in Windsor by the BUILDING of the Ambassador Bridge.

They then moved to Detroit.

It is a wonder what early childhood trauma might cause an individual to act out childishly as an adult.
    Except they moved in 1924, and he wasn't born until 1927.

Default Dirt Piles

The yellow arrow shows the location of the dirt in question.

Attachment 1984

Click to see more of the gateway project.

FlyByDon

Yes, Stamper was sweating. His pile of dirt issue was a mole hill compared to the mountain of trouble he has caused the neighborhood. He didn't want to talk about their Riverside Park hijacking except for some vague reference to the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy and that things are worked out. By the way Matty's son is on the board of the Conservancy.
    I think MDOT answered the question well. It's their dirt on their ramp.

MEDIA ADVISORY
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Toll-free: [[517) 373-0823

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

Tlaib to hold international press conference to oppose illegal construction of
    AmbassadorBridge Second Span
    U.S. and Canadian Lawmakers, officials to discuss proposed bridge, actions of bridge company
    DETROIT – State Representative Rashida Tlaib [[D-Detroit) will stand with Canadian Member of Parliament Brian Masse, Detroit City Council President Ken Cockrel Jr., and officials from the cities of Detroit and Windsor to discuss the proposed second span of the Ambassador Bridge by the Detroit International Bridge Company [[Ambassador Bridge Company). Tlaib will announce an international alliance of adversely impacted communities to oppose a second span of the Ambassador Bridge.

WHO: State Representative Rashida Tlaib; Canadian Member of Parliament Brian Masse; Detroit City Council President Ken Cockerel Jr.; Windsor Councillor Ron Jones; Michigan legislators.

WHERE: Ste. Anne Church
    1000 Ste. Anne St.
    Detroit 48216

WHEN: Friday, June 26, at 11 a.m.

MIRepublic Guest

It's really too bad that they didn't just dump the dirt on Matty, himself; poor, old troll. What an impressively evil man. And, everyone knows that Stamper is his best, true-believing puppet. It always gives me a laugh to see "President" by his name as if he's anything other than a tool in every sense of the word. That they continue with these gallinging insulting dog-and-pony shoes shows that each of them is certifiably insane. The jig has been up for awhile, now.

I'd like to see an aerial photo of whatever park is down there and the so called "evil" intrusion into it.

Fly by Don, Thanks for those pics, great shots.

Aside from trying to bribe and sue his way into being only bridge in town, Matty also wants to put the Detroit Windsor Truck Ferry out of busines as well.

The truck ferry is the only mode designated to transport hazmat trucks across the Detroit River. However, it has been mentioned before that the DIBC has been writing its own permits to transport hazardous materials across the Ambassador Bridge mainly for Matty's trucks.

The DBIC has asked MDOT to change the National Hazardous Materials Route Registry to allow flammable, corrosive, and explosive materials to cross the bridge "Legally."

This would likely put the ferry out of business and eliminate

the primary crossing for very large shipments of oversize, overweight trucks, which are essential in support of manufacturing and energy projects.... and any crossing redundancy, which is essential in the event of a major hazmat-related accident or terrorist attack
    http://www.todaystrucking.com/news.cfm?intDocID=21954

All jokes aside, this move is probably going to backfire on the state, big time. That was probably not the most mature way that it could be handled. The DIBC's lawyers are probably jumping for joy over this move. And by having a press conference the DIBC got the state to admit not only what it did, but why they did it. Not a bad move on the DIBC's part.
    Last edited by kraig; June-23-09 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    MEDIA ADVISORY
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Toll-free: [[517) 373-0823

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

Tlaib to hold international press conference to oppose illegal construction of
    AmbassadorBridge Second Span
    U.S. and Canadian Lawmakers, officials to discuss proposed bridge, actions of bridge company
    DETROIT – State Representative Rashida Tlaib [[D-Detroit) will stand with Canadian Member of Parliament Brian Masse, Detroit City Council President Ken Cockrel Jr., and officials from the cities of Detroit and Windsor to discuss the proposed second span of the Ambassador Bridge by the Detroit International Bridge Company [[Ambassador Bridge Company). Tlaib will announce an international alliance of adversely impacted communities to oppose a second span of the Ambassador Bridge.

WHO: State Representative Rashida Tlaib; Canadian Member of Parliament Brian Masse; Detroit City Council President Ken Cockerel Jr.; Windsor Councillor Ron Jones; Michigan legislators.

WHERE: Ste. Anne Church
    1000 Ste. Anne St.
    Detroit 48216

WHEN: Friday, June 26, at 11 a.m.

This plays right to the lawsuit, dumb move.

Follow up edit. The language in the newspaper announcement differs from the language that was posted in the Media Advisory. The newspaper language is much better.
    Last edited by kraig; June-24-09 at 08:07 AM.

Downriviera

Thanks, … it’s always nice to be appreciated.

FlyBy

Fly By can I use your pic for my flyer for tonights riverside park event?

Fly By can I use your pic for my flyer for tonights riverside park event?

sure, send me a email address and I'll send you a higher dpi images.

FlyByDon

"I'd like to see an aerial photo of whatever park is down there and the so called "evil" intrusion into it. "

You could go check for yourself before making a smarky comment and implying that people are making an issue of nothing. Maybe you could also take the family to the park for a picnic and see how long until Maroun's 'guards' chase you off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast