Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Shollin Guest

Default Detroit Olympic Bids

With the 2012 Olympics coming up, it got me thinking of Detroit and the Olympics. Detroit has the second most Olympic bids ever, and holds the record for the most bids ever without winning the games. Detroit's best chances were in 1964 and 1968 when they finished runner up to Tokoyo and Mexico City. I found this video which highlights Detroit's bid for the 68 Olympics.

It got me wondering what would've been if Detroit won the 68 games? They had plans to build a new stadium. Would the Lions have moved there and the Silverdome never built? Would the Tigers move there and Tiger Stadium closed 30 years earlier? Or would be used for both as dual football and baseball stadiums became popular in the 70's.

They also proposed a monorail. I wonder if that would've been just to the Olympic facilities or would that have been part of a new mass transit system?

The biggest question revolves around the riots. Would they have happened? Unemployment in the city was rising in the 60's due to the auto companies moving to the suburbs, but with this development in the city, that would create jobs in the city. It still likely wouldn't prevent the Detroit police from raiding the blind pig that set off the riots. If the riots did happen just a year before the games, would it have helped the city? What would Detroit be like today? I think it's safe to say the city would be different being that these games happened at one of the most pivotal times in Detroit's history.

There's also part 2 and 3 here: [[PS, Mit Romney sure looks like his father) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jaBGXMOGzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUzHRcchBM

And here is President Kennedy announcing Detroit as the United States pick for the Olympics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Di6YmCLZgc

There are other threads on this subject.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    There are other threads on this subject.
    I figured there would be. I'm sure life will continue with an updated thread about the subject.