Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Metal Detectors at Americana Theaters in Southfield Following Shootup

I was listening to Angelo Henderson's show today and there was talk of the Denver tragedy and a recounting of the time when metal detectors were applied at the former Americana theaters.

From the show, either some one was shot of someone shot at the screen during a showing of Hollywood Nights.

Does anyone remember the details of that.

When crime began to rise during the late 80s at the theater, including a set of shootings, the chain took the unusual step of adding metal detectors.
    http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4333

On the opening date of this film, at the "Americana 8", a theater in Southfield, Michigan [[on the border of Detroit), a patron shot and wounded two people inside the theater, before being killed by police officers in the parking lot. This led to the first ever movie theater in the world to install permanent metal detectors, which passing through were required for entry.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097481/trivia

In October 1988, two men were shot during an argument near the box office and then in November 1989, a man started shooting in the main auditorium on the opening weekend of Eddie Murphy's "Harlem Nights". Metal detectors were installed and the big auditorium was gutted and transformed into five smaller rooms at a cost of $2.5 million.
    http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/4313.html

I remember the metal detectors. That was about the time we stopped going there. It did nothing to help the security situation, and probably just made things worse since it gave the place a sense of "lawlessness". People would fight regularly in the parking lot and there were still shootings. AFAIK, no other Detroit area theater has ever used metal detectors since.

It's was also a completely different situation from what happened in Colorado. No one ever took an automatic weapon to the Southfield AMC and shot up the theater at random. But a metal detector wouldn't really stop something like that from happening either...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In October 1988, two men were shot during an argument near the box office and then in November 1989, a man started shooting in the main auditorium on the opening weekend of Eddie Murphy's "Harlem Nights". Metal detectors were installed and the big auditorium was gutted and transformed into five smaller rooms at a cost of $2.5 million.l
    I thought the metal detectors were installed a little after that... Like in the early 90s? I was pretty young back then but I remember going to that AMC before the metal detectors. Maybe they would only use them after a certain time of the day? Can't remember exactly, but when they did put those to regular use but by then we had stopped going to that theater even though it was the closest first run theater to our house.

Yes, This was after Nicholas George sold the building to AMC Theaters in 1986. There was crime, lots of it mostly during evening. So the AMC sent in metal detectors in front of the lobby. I was there where it happen. It the time in 1985 Southfield population was 72% white, about 21.5% black. But 70% of the patrons were mostly black. This is the best hang out spot for them since other national movie chains way out the mostly white suburbs where no SMART or SEMPTA bus transportation can't reach. There was The Movies at Fairlane Mall, but Dearborn's Mayor Orville Hubbard's bad rep keep a few blacks out. In the meantime there were several local Detroit movie theaters at them time. But higher crime and other ruckus. Later closer national movie chains forced these neighborhood Detroit movie theaters to close down. By 2001 AMC American-Southfield City 12 close it doors for good.

Later Star Theaters in 12 Mile Rd. west of Telegraph Rd. opened. It was owned by Lowe's Theater Chaining until AMC bought all Star Theaters and shut down their stores next to it make it boring.

I went to AMC Americana to See ET Extra Terrestrial in 1983, My Little Pony, The Movie in 1986, and Battlefield Earth in 2000.
    Last edited by Danny; July-20-12 at 12:04 PM.

Pretty amazing memory, Danny.

Oddly, this was about the same time my industry forced the shotgun marriage between the hifi and television...when VCRs got better sound, and the the LaserDisc came onto the scene.

With video processors making the image nearly as good as what we've now come to expect out of high definition...and CRT projectors able to light up an 8-foot screen...and Dolby Labs licensing their surround sound for home use...

...the last twenty years of my career were set.

So, in a very odd way, these troubles made some positive impact.

Shame my industry got fat, happy, and greedy during the easy home mortgage boom...and then got intoxicated by 3d.

We will never have to sell a personal home theater metal detector, thankfully.

After I saw Harlem Nights, I wanted to shoot somebody ... the director!

We never went to that theater after the addition of metal detectors either. Had a friend who worked there and he has some wild stories. Can you direct me to the story about an automatic weapon being used in the Colorado tragedy or some other theater shooting? I ask because folks often make the rifle-->assault rifle--> automatic leap.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I remember the metal detectors. That was about the time we stopped going there. It did nothing to help the security situation, and probably just made things worse since it gave the place a sense of "lawlessness". People would fight regularly in the parking lot and there were still shootings. AFAIK, no other Detroit area theater has ever used metal detectors since.

It's was also a completely different situation from what happened in Colorado. No one ever took an automatic weapon to the Southfield AMC and shot up the theater at random. But a metal detector wouldn't really stop something like that from happening either...

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    Can you direct me to the story about an automatic weapon being used in the Colorado tragedy or some other theater shooting?
    They say AR-15, but they don't say if it was modified. With some of the other stuff he had, I wouldn't be surprised though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    We never went to that theater after the addition of metal detectors either. Had a friend who worked there and he has some wild stories. Can you direct me to the story about an automatic weapon being used in the Colorado tragedy or some other theater shooting? I ask because folks often make the rifle-->assault rifle--> automatic leap.
    I'm just assuming it was an automatic or semi-automatic weapon. They haven't said what type of weapon it was yet, to my knowledge.

Metal detectors would not have stopped the Colorado shooting. It just happened so quickly and the gunman entered through an emergency door after parking his car in the back. The police were already present at the theater due to the Batman crowds. I used to live in that area and have actually been to that theater..Aurora's police HQ is less than one mile from there. To paraphrase Bruce Lee, if someone wants to bite your nose off and they are determined to do it to the point they are willing to die...they are going to bite your nose off.

Weren't there a few incidents of shootings at New Jack City showings? Can't remember the year.

I was caught off guard by a theater metal detector. I think it was on 8 Mile east? of Van Dyke a decade or so ago. I had to walk back to my car to stash my balisong.

I don't think of it as a weapon but apparently others do.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm just assuming it was an automatic or semi-automatic weapon. They haven't said what type of weapon it was yet, to my knowledge.

probably assume it was a tea-party guy too?? oh wait, it was reported that is was a tea-party guy, no need to assume.....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Weren't there a few incidents of shootings at New Jack City showings? Can't remember the year.

In my recollection, the shootings at movie theaters became nightly news with the heavy presence of gangs at the premiere of "Boyz in the Hood," also in '91.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    probably assume it was a tea-party guy too?? oh wait, it was reported that is was a tea-party guy, no need to assume.....
    Uh, what? I assumed it was an automatic weapon because 71 people were shot by one person in the span of several minutes. Now what the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    That report was innacurate and ABC News has retracted it.

It wasn't even a report. It was a speculative ad-lib.

'There's a guy by that name on their members list. I wonder if it's the same guy' or something to that effect.

you remember the media hype about the WARRIORS in theaters too?

i miss the star theater in southfield before amc bought it out. it was more fun and exciting than other theaters. glittery floors and spot lights and movie trivia / radio playing in the lobby, big arcade, plus those other stores connected to the lobby, it was kind of a mini mall + food court. now its dead in there. do they even do midnight movies anymore? i'm surprised amc still sells the curly fries.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I was caught off guard by a theater metal detector. I think it was on 8 Mile east? of Van Dyke a decade or so ago. I had to walk back to my car to stash my balisong.

I don't think of it as a weapon but apparently others do.
    It was the theater behind Bel Air center on 8 Mile east of Van Dyke. I went there in the early 90's and they had metal detectors. I was sneaking in a can of Pepsi and it set off the detector and they let me go through anyways.

By the way, is this theater still open? last time I was by there the whole shopping center looked pretty bad.

Bit of a threadjack but this was a horrible, yet amazing coincidence. A 24 yr. old woman who was killed in the theater had just moved to Colorado from Texas. Last month while visiting her boyfriend in the Toronto area she escaped being killed in the Eaton Centre shooting.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...V-EXjQctIB_TGA

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    By the way, is this theater still open?
    Should be, they have six movies showing today.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Bit of a threadjack but this was a horrible, yet amazing coincidence. A 24 yr. old woman who was killed in the theater had just moved to Colorado from Texas. Last month while visiting her boyfriend in the Toronto area she escaped being killed in the Eaton Centre shooting.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&sqi =2&ved=0CAUQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobean dmail.com%2Fnews%2Fworld%2Fcolorado-shooting-victim-narrowly-missed-eaton-centre-shooting%2Farticle4429853%2F&ei=r98JUI6hIsek6wHh0P j1CQ&usg=AFQjCNGZleweNfKaWp2OKrUZBWq6TsFr4A&sig2=H vrzpi7oV-EXjQctIB_TGA
    She was killed and than relocated? I don't think she was ever killed.

The Fox Theatre has metal detectors... not sure how often they are used for shows... but for our summer Preservation Detroit Historic Theatre Tours... you have to go thru a metal detector to get into the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Fox Theatre has metal detectors... not sure how often they are used for shows... but for our summer Preservation Detroit Historic Theatre Tours... you have to go thru a metal detector to get into the theatre.
    Every single show. This is pretty much SOP for arena, such as the Ilitch operated JLA. Pretty much never done at theatre venues except for special cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast