Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Batman movie massacre - shootings in Colorado

14 killed, 50 injured in Colorado theater

A gunman opened fire early today at a screening of the new Batman movie in an Aurora, Colorado, theater. "We saw people running around and screaming," a man told CNN affiliate KUSA. A suspect is in custody, police say. FULL STORY

video: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#...cell-video.cnn

Last edited by Zacha341; July-20-12 at 06:16 AM.

Clearly the DIRECT result of a combination of the crap culture advertised and glorified by the individuals in Hollywood and a totally inappropriate Second Amendment "rights". for today's America.

If ever there was a poster boy for the Death Penalty, here it is.

And cue the anti-C.P. crowd in 3..... 2..... 1.....

I hope the injured recover quickly, and the friends and families of those who lost their lives are able to cope. I can't even imagine how confusing and frightening this must have been for these people.

The 24/7 media circus should reconsider how they cover these mass murder tragedies. Undoubtedly, they will spend the coming weeks making this guy famous[[Infamous) and that's exactly what these nutcases are seeking. Just another pathetic loser seeking recognition and fame for being a pathetic loser. It's a shame that the greedy media will oblige his wishes completely.

Terrorism whether it's domestic or foreign is the bigbest problem in America that will not be solved by war, but with peace. But I'm not to give in to fear. I'm still going to see the movies. The show must go on!
    Last edited by Danny; July-20-12 at 12:35 PM.

A call for love.......... it's getting louder and louder....

I don't get it, I really don't. Why the rush to judgment? How do we know there isn't psychosis or other mental illness involved?

Even President Obama refers to the Denver tragedy as "evil".

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I don't get it, I really don't. Why the rush to judgment? How do we know there isn't psychosis or other mental illness involved?

Even President Obama refers to the Denver tragedy as "evil".

You are right. My anger over this shooting made me jump to the conclusion that this guy was led by the same motivations as those that have committed these acts in the past. His mental state very well may have played a role, but either way I have to agree with Obama. Whether these acts were committed by someone of sound mind or not, they are still "evil".
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-21-12 at 07:20 AM.

Dude was in a Joker costume.

Aha, so President Obama is referring to the act as evil, not necessarily the person who did it. That I can understand, even at this early stage.

At least this guy didn't take the easy way out and kill himself. More than I hate the autrocities some of these sick individuals commit, I hate when they can escape facing the pain and hurt they inflict on others. I hope this James Holmes guy gets to know intimately the hurt he's caused others. I hope it stains his brain. He deserves to suffer and be haunted by this tragedy for the rest of his life, which I hope is long in a miserable prison cell. I've no sympathy for this scum whatsoever.

Recalculating again... it's too soon to judge and use words like evil or scum.

Obviously this guy had a break with reality or maybe he just frickin HATES people and wants them dead. We accept violence in war, tv, movies, songs, video games...we all even have our own murderous thoughts we just all don't manifest them in shooting rages dressed as the joker, we [[the sane people..lol) go to the movies and watch Jason slash people up with machet's.

You don't think the violence plastered all over everything is not going to project out into the world... think again.
    Last edited by MizMotown; July-20-12 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    This is just the beginning....
    Beginning?

This stuff has been going on for decades.

I don't want to get into a big second amendment discussion, but something needs to be done about people getting assault weapons.

We also need to look more into the mental health issues affecting folks in their teens and twenties.

I suspect the boy's mother knew he had problems when she stated to the police that they had the right person

I disagree. He methotically set up the scene to murder these people. He booby trapped his apartment too. Obviously he was sane enough at points in his life that if he felt he needed some help he should have seeked it out. He didn't, he decided to do this instead. No sympathy from me and he is in my opinion evil scum.

Crumbled_pavement, you might be right. But I don't think we know enough about how mental illness works to know for sure.

I'm not suggesting sympathy for the shooter, not right now, anyway. But to judge the shooter, as if we know he chose to shoot people instead of seeking help, is not reasonable either.

I used to live within 5 miles of the scene.

My estimate of the ideal balance between east-coast civilization and west-coast liberty has always been Denver. Now I may need to revise that toward somewhere east of Aurora.

Simply put: Some people are just no damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I don't want to get into a big second amendment discussion, but something needs to be done about people getting assault weapons.

We also need to look more into the mental health issues affecting folks in their teens and twenties.

I suspect the boy's mother knew he had problems when she stated to the police that they had the right person
    What is tragic here is that as a society we have not made any changes to gun laws since Columbine or Virginia Tech. Call me naive, but aren't there some military style weapons that the general public can not buy, like a bazooka? How does a seller of guns sell weapons like this to this guy and not wonder what he plans to do with them? Why is it that a handgun, shotgun, and/or rifle, is not enough for gun manufacturers to produce?

The tragedy here is that we as a country have not learned from the tragedies from the past. This kind of event will happen many more times in the future. Why should we care about the victims if they're not family or friends? Others down the road will suffer the same fate, and we as a country will lament until the next tragedy? When is enough, enough?

BTW, what makes this story even sadder is that this guy did not have the usual characteristics that you associate with a person that commits crimes like this. What it says is that anyone, whether sane or mentally ill, can commit this kind of crime, period. The solution is not in trying to identify the likely perpetrator of such a crime before he commits it, but to make sure that weapons that he used can't get into the hands of everyday citizens, period.

Crumbled_pavement, you might be right. But I don't think we know enough about how mental illness works to know for sure.

I'm not suggesting sympathy for the shooter, not right now, anyway. But to judge the shooter, as if we know he chose to shoot people instead of seeking help, is not reasonable either.
    I'm unswayed by your post, but I respect your opinion. What I will say is this:

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Far too many people in this country don't believe mental illness is real and think people just need to get over themselves. We need to take mental health seriously in this country and expand funding and care for those that are distressed. More than anything we need to stop stigmatizing mental illness and other mental challenges. Stigmatizing mental problems makes many people who know they need help afraid to seek it.

I may sound hypocritical for being so willing to pass judgment on James Holmes while saying we need to stop stigmatizing mental illness, but I feel it's a little late for Mr. Holmes to seek help. There are many millions of people out there today that need help and we should make them comfortable seeking it and let them know that we do not value them any less. Maybe some of these killings can be prevented in the future.

Yes. This guy is a thinker [[which alone is not a virtue - dependent on what the thoughts are) to process and act on this to the level he did.

I was listening to a news broadcast that mentioned he'd just dropped out of a Ph.d program so no dummy here. When I first heard this and they mentioned the details I knew this was tactical and skillfully planned... at every studied evil nuance. Except his escape mode it appears...

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I disagree. He methotically set up the scene to murder these people. He booby trapped his apartment too. Obviously he was sane enough at points in his life that if he felt he needed some help he should have seeked it out. He didn't, he decided to do this instead. No sympathy from me and he is in my opinion evil scum.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-21-12 at 06:31 AM.

Sometimes A is just A at the initial event and action. This cold blooded murder was evil and wrong. If not, where does the concept of evil and wrong emerge?

More dead, a few more seconds of shooting innocent people?

I'd like to ask on of the victims families or those who remain hospitalized or witnessed this if they think Holmes was a tad 'evil'...

Of course he will have his day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I knew this was tactical and skillfully planned... at every studied evil nuance. Except his escape mode it appears...
    I think he intended to get caught - and to blow up the cops that entered his place

For what it's worth, schizophrenia often strikes young adults in their late teens and early twenties. This disease does not make them any less smart than they were previous to being stricken with it. From what I've read of his demeanor and interviews with friends and acquaintances, it sounds like there's a fair possibility that he has some sort of mental disease. Who knows, maybe the 'voices' were telling him he had to save Gotham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sometimes A is just A at the initial event and action. This cold blooded murder was evil and wrong. If not, where does the concept of evil and wrong emerge?

More dead, a few more seconds of shooting innocent people?

I'd like to ask on of the victims families or those who remain hospitalized or witnessed this if they think Holmes was a tad 'evil'...

Of course he will have his day in court.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast