Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bashara attorney files motion to quit

Fox 2 has confirmed that David Griem has filed an emergency motion notifying Detroit's 36th District Court he wishes to withdraw as Bashara's attorney.

...A hearing on Griem's request is scheduled for Thursday at 8:30am.

Article: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...motion-to-quit

At least we don't have to listen to this guy any longer, he was getting on my nerves!

Not good news for Big Bobb, but I'm sure most consider this a great development.

Wonder if Big Bobb has HIM on a hit list now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Wonder if Big Bobb has HIM on a hit list now?!
    LOL, BB is arrogant enough to try it! I don't know how some people consider Griem a good lawyer, this is at least the second time [[that we know of) that he QUIT. That's not a good lawyer. Seems he only wants to play when he thinks he can win. Well, he should have figured that out at the beginning of the case.

I bet he's had had a chance to listen to the tapes of BB plotting the hit on Getz and he realized that BB was going down. Bob was probably very explicit in his instructions, making it very clear why he wanted Joe dead. Notice in one of those statements released, Griem hinted that BB was facing TWO trials. So he must know that BB is going to trial over Jane's death, something the public has not even been made aware of.

I see both Griem and the female lawyer have asked to quit at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Seems he only wants to play when he thinks he can win. Well, he should have figured that out at the beginning of the case.
    Gotta skew those statistics so his future clients pay the big bill for his legendary services.

I'm sure he hit up Big Bobb in advance for the bulk of it...and I'm betting he goes on a long vacation somewhere on Bobb's cash.

Didn't hear about the other attorney quitting...was that Gentz's counselor?

LOL, BB is arrogant enough to try it! I don't know how some people consider Griem a good lawyer, this is at least the second time [[that we know of) that he QUIT. That's not a good lawyer. Seems he only wants to play when he thinks he can win. Well, he should have figured that out at the beginning of the case.

I bet he's had had a chance to listen to the tapes of BB plotting the hit on Getz and he realized that BB was going down. Bob was probably very explicit in his instructions, making it very clear why he wanted Joe dead. Notice in one of those statements released, Griem hinted that BB was facing TWO trials. So he must know that BB is going to trial over Jane's death, something the public has not even been made aware of.

I see both Griem and the female lawyer have asked to quit at the same time.
    Yes, it seems that his public persona to me based on the two high profile cases he had was that he wanted the case and the publicity that goes along with it as long as he could create reasonable doubt.

I believe he now knows that based on the existing evidence it would be hard pressed if not impossible to win the cases.

I guess it was time to jump off that train before it got too far down the tracks.

I don't know what it says about him as a lawyer ?

If I were an up and coming lawyer I would be pounding on BB's door offering to defend him for free This is a nationally-visible case that could launch me just like Kervorkian did for Feiger. It wouldn't matter whether he won or lost, just as long as they spelled my name right and I got on the muck-raker shows like Nancy Grace. After all I'm a lawyer. lol

Gotta skew those statistics so his future clients pay the big bill for his legendary services.

I'm sure he hit up Big Bobb in advance for the bulk of it...and I'm betting he goes on a long vacation somewhere on Bobb's cash.

I guess Griem will go back to being on WDIV as their resident lawyer guru to give his highly regarded opinion on things.

OMG, I never saw him there. I will boycott them forever, much to my partner's chagrin...since it is the only local news I'll watch now! I guess I don't pay much mind to attorneys on the TeeVee.

If WDIV takes him back, it will be very telling of them. I know a much better defense attorney, who would be quite photogenic and personable. And truthful.

A rarity in attorneys...one I can trust. Luckily, they are one of my girlfriend's BEST friends...

No, the other attorney I was referring to was BB's other lawyer that joined Griem a couple of months ago. The female lawyer, Utzel or something. They are both asking off the case.

No, the other attorney I was referring to was BB's other lawyer that joined Griem a couple of months ago. The female lawyer, Utzel or something. They are both asking off the case.

Thanks. sure is stupid that I've got ao add these words to gte over the ten digit limit.

Judge just ruled against Griem. Maybe we will see just how good a lawyer Griem is.

NICE!

Because that might've been a cause for a mistrial, right?!

We are a long time into this process, but now I wonder if this information will taint a potential jury?

Slippery is as slipper does, I wouldn't put it past him to have thought THIS chess move out a few months ago.

Appears the judges order was just to represent Bobb at his hearing next week.
    He will then get another attorney, but Griem will have to remain on hand in an advisor status.

To give the lawyer the benefit of the doubt, he might see that the government has the evidence down pat. Lawyer goes to client and says "you're screwed, let's make a deal" and client says "no way, I'm pleading innocent". Hard to have a client-attorney relationship when that happens.

That should tell you right there, how much confidence they have in winning this case. Only a matter of time now before the chickens come home to roost.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, but one would think that if you are taking this man's money to defend him you would find a way to defend the man to the best of your ability. Even if you aren't getting money the free pub is priceless.

Is it about not losing ? Or is it about defending your client no matter how stacked the case is against him.

Maybe he loses his cred as a TV analyst if he loses too many cases !

There I think I just answered my own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That should tell you right there, how much confidence they have in winning this case. Only a matter of time now before the chickens come home to roost.
    Hopefully this seals Big Bob's case and the clown goes away for a long time.

Can a prosecutor set a deadline for a plea deal and if so, would it be this early in a case?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    To give the lawyer the benefit of the doubt, he might see that the government has the evidence down pat. Lawyer goes to client and says "you're screwed, let's make a deal" and client says "no way, I'm pleading innocent". Hard to have a client-attorney relationship when that happens.
    Exactly. I was surprised to come on this thread and find everyone railing against this lawyer. Especially since numerous people here who are in some way or another familiar with Bob Bashara have stated what a scumbag he is. The scenario I’m picturing is “A guilty plea is our best option, Bob” “Say that again and I’ll have you killed, pencil dick.”

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Exactly. I was surprised to come on this thread and find everyone railing against this lawyer. Especially since numerous people here who are in some way or another familiar with Bob Bashara have stated what a scumbag he is.
    Granted this might not be fair, but seeing he did the same in the Grant case makes it look like, yeah ,he wants the publicity of a high profile case but ready to jump ship when it looks like he can't win

Or it's just possible that Bashara said "Yeah, I did it and I'll do it again" and Greim has an ethical issue with defending him.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Judge just ruled against Griem. Maybe we will see just how good a lawyer Griem is.
    He's pretty good if he wants to be. Otherwise, he'll just take your money while he explains how hard of a worker he is.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Granted this might not be fair, but seeing he did the same in the Grant case makes it look like, yeah ,he wants the publicity of a high profile case but ready to jump ship when it looks like he can't win
    I don't think it's about winning or losing, it's about maintaining credibility. You dont get to be a "high powered" defense attorney by dumping the guilty guys.

In the Grant case he did it after the torso was found and Grant went nuts and fled the area and maybe tried to kill himself...or just pretended to... anyway, little hard to maintain credibility as an attorney before the court and in the media if you are lied to by your client, and then repeat the lies, to the court and the press.

I'm guessing the same thing happened here. Bashara lied to him about trying to hire the hit man to get Gentz. Or lied to him in some other fashion that has been shown to be lie, that Griem has based his defense on.

We'll not know why he did it this time because he's being forced to stay on.