Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Stand Your Ground Pt. II: 71-Year-Old Floridian Man with Gun Open Fire

I doubt we’ll ever get anywhere near consensus on the Trayvon Martin case. I think those who think Zimmerman is a hero will believe that no matter what the evidence proves. Those that say that Martin was the victim will never believe he provoked the incident.

In this case, we should be much closer to consensus.

The attached videotape clearly shows two assailants entering an internet café with intent to rob patrons. One of the patrons decides to stand up for himself and pulls out a gun and starts firing. He chases the criminals out of the café. Later on both assailants end up at the hospital, and are later charged with armed robbery.

Personally I don’t know that I agree that standing your ground includes chasing criminals while shooting them, however I feel absolutely no sympathy for the criminals whatsoever. They got exactly what they deserved.

So what does the DYes community think about this application of the Stand Your Ground law in Florida and other states?

^^^ Hmmm, he actually shot one of them? I saw this vid yesterday and he looked like was missing. But then it also looked like he'd spent some tactical time behind a gun when he first got up and assumed the aim solid 'shot' position, before the chase to get them out the cafe. I think these robbers where really shocked!

What a MESS! And sign of the times. I don't think they got a shot in - too busy prepared to make a new exit 'door' had the one they come in not been closer!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-18-12 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Hmmm, he actually shot one of them? I saw this vid yesterday and he looked like he could was missing. But then it also looked like he'd spent some tactical time behind a gun when he first got up and assumed the aim solid 'shot' position, before the chase. I think these robbers where really shocked!

What a MESS! And sign of the times. I don't think they got a shot in - too busy prepared to make a new exit 'door' had the one they come in not been closer!
    They got shot, it's in the video.

Yeah, I re-watched it again just now and you can see it. Last night at a glance the one guy appears to be just slipping and falling... One of the robbers had a baseball bat. I think they thought this place was gonna be an easy 'mark'... NOT. As it turned out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    They got shot, it's in the video.

GUSHI Guest

They got what they deserved!

SYG laws especially the more liberal ones like in Florida can put you on a slippery slope to vigliantism. I know it sounds good when the good guys get one over on the bad guys, but eventually either the bad guys aren't going to give you a chance to SYG, they will just shoot you before you can respond, or the good guys will fall over the line to vigliantism and will end up standing trial for murder.

We can end up looking like the Wild, Wild West if as a society we aren't careful about how we apply this law.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Personally I don’t know that I agree that standing your ground includes chasing criminals while shooting them, however I feel absolutely no sympathy for the criminals whatsoever. They got exactly what they deserved.
    I don't think anyone can prove "being chased" All I see is a criminal moving about a cafe, at first with a dangerous weapon, who happened to stumble around the cafe, then near the entrance. We can't say for sure if he was actually exiting because he got shot or was being shot at. Maybe he had the intention to come back. Maybe he had another weapon....

...ok clearly we know he's fleeing. But what I'm trying to say is we don't have 100% certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    SYG laws especially the more liberal ones like in Florida can put you on a slippery slope to vigliantism. I know it sounds good when the good guys get one over on the bad guys, but eventually either the bad guys aren't going to give you a chance to SYG, they will just shoot you before you can respond, or the good guys will fall over the line to vigliantism and will end up standing trial for murder.

We can end up looking like the Wild, Wild West if as a society we aren't careful about how we apply this law.
    I completely agree with you on that. But I think it gets the most complex when it's in public places. In the case of it being on your own property, there's really no question who is at fault.