Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ham Sandwich Split Pea Soup place Downtown?

When I was a kid, I would go to work with my dad in the summers in the 80s. He worked in the Penobscot building at the time. I recall a small restaurant that was famous for its split pea soup/ham sandwiches. It was within walking distance of the Penobscot because we walked there a few times for lunch. Does any remember the name of the place? Is it still there?

We also often had breakfast in the cafeteria of the Penobscot [[or maybe the Buhl) building. I also recall a large mural of Detroit on the wall. Spaced along it was openings to put your tray, a hidden conveyor took the trays to the kitchen. As a kid, I thought that was even better than the mail chutes in the Penobscot. I was in charge of mailing everything, so I would feed the chute every day I was there. Simpler times to be sure!

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Ham Palace? Near the old Grayhound Bus Terminal?

Ham Heaven for all things ham. On Cadillac Square near the old Wayne County Building.
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1192458024

There was also one on Grand Circus Park.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    We also often had breakfast in the cafeteria of the Penobscot [[or maybe the Buhl) building. I also recall a large mural of Detroit on the wall. Spaced along it was openings to put your tray, a hidden conveyor took the trays to the kitchen.
    The Colonnade Cafeteria. Used to eat there frequently since our offices were in the Penobscot Bldg from 1982 through 1998.

At some point during that time, the Colonnade closed and a new cafeteria style restaurant opened under the name Epicurean.

if you want a taste of the same good food, try mike's famous ham place on michigan ave. & west grand blvd. the split pea soup is to die for and the ham sandwich is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    if you want a taste of the same good food, try mike's famous ham place on michigan ave. & west grand blvd. the split pea soup is to die for and the ham sandwich is huge.
    I enthusiastically 2nd this...that split pea soup [[and his bean soup) is a work of art !!!

Yes!! Thank you! I was racking my brain trying to remember, I could almost see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I enthusiastically 2nd this...that split pea soup [[and his bean soup) is a work of art !!!
    I'll 3rd it, limited menu, but what they do they do really well.

Another good place is Ham Palace, it's over on East Davison a couple blocks up from where the x-way runs out. Larger menu, really good food.