Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Curb replacement in Corktown

When the curbs were replaced in the neighborhood a few weeks ago, one of the workers indicated that they would be replacing the grass. However, what is now growing along the curb isn't grass and is growing rapidly - looks like some kind of squash.
    Does anyone have any idea of what has been planted and if the contractor has an obligation to replace the grass that was there before they dug up?

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    When the curbs were replaced in the neighborhood a few weeks ago, one of the workers indicated that they would be replacing the grass. However, what is now growing along the curb isn't grass and is growing rapidly - looks like some kind of squash.
    Does anyone have any idea of what has been planted and if the contractor has an obligation to replace the grass that was there before they dug up?
    Think there was a thread here a while back that showed some people doing ornamental planting along Michigan. Maybe that accounts for the squash? Grass, huh? Better than nothin'.

Sad to think they're going to rip out all that nice brick and pump in concrete with a brick pattern. I heard that it's just too hard to find people who do brickwork anymore.

When my great grandpa came here from Denmark in 1925 he made 1 dollar a day laying brick roads.

Squash in a tree lawn ? Bizarre.

I have no formal training but tore up, leveled, layed the brick and filled in a large part of a brick railroad platform in Indiana. Pay me! I'd love to do the work! At least save the bricks and relay them in some of the historic residential districts that once had them, or something. Plus, the Michigan Avenue brick maintains the history of the old DSR streetcar tracks and alignment.

The brick patterned concrete in my eyes is not worth the effort. It's not real brick, and it won't be real brick, so why not just save the money and effort and just lay a nice concrete road and be done with it. Replicating history in a simplified way without using any of the authentic original materials is not historic.