Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A new study says "Finally Detroit's not the most dangerous!"

Look here

"23. Detroit, Mich.
    Neighborhood: Mount Elliott St./Palmer Ave.
    Found Within ZIP Code[[s): 48211, 48207
    Predicted Annual Violent Crimes: 153
    Violent Crime Rate [[per 1,000): 109.29
    My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here [[in one year): 1 in 9"

It is mostly just the Packard plant.
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; June-23-09 at 01:01 AM.

That's probably because the population is low there. The density is the thickest on the northwest side and the incidents of violent crime there are stupidly high.

MIRepublic Guest

If that's the truth, than they would have made the list and not Mt. Elliott and Palmer.

only a single detroit neighborhood and chicago racks up 4?

I wonder if they 'limit' the size of the nighborhoods. How they determine to draw the boundaries would have a large effect on the rankings. It could just be detroits low population density that saved it......of we aren't so dangerous after all;

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    only a single detroit neighborhood and chicago racks up 4?

I wonder if they 'limit' the size of the nighborhoods. How they determine to draw the boundaries would have a large effect on the rankings. It could just be detroits low population density that saved it......of we aren't so dangerous after all;
    Having a lower population density would actually work against Detroit...
    Last edited by iheartthed; June-23-09 at 10:02 AM.

All these DetroitYes fans with rose colored glasses on that don't realize Detroit is by far the most dangerous city in the universe. Not even third world, I'd label Detroit fifth world. Yes, you can get robbed in the city of Detroit right inside the police station. I wouldn't go to that God and devil forsaken place if I was paid $10 billion to. The crime rate is so high there that it spills 2 miles outside its borders in all directions. Kids don't go to school to learn to be architects, lawyers, doctors, or accountants. They go to school to learn to do drive-bys, car-jackings, muggings, home invasions, and oh yea, to throw up gang signs. You guys continue high-fiving eachother in celebration of Detroit's singular neighborhood ranking #23 on an obviously flawed list. You guys are in complete denial and it's not helping Detroit one bit. NOT ONE BIT!!! Meanwhile before the day is out ten people will probably be killed, 50 will be raped, 100 robbed, 500 will have their front door kicked in, etc, etc. And where will the police be? Hiding in a safe neighborhood at a doughnut shop in Taylor.

I'll agree with Crumbled Pavement. Just because you see what you want to see doesn't make it true. Detroit is one of the most dangerous cities in N. America [[I don't include Mexico), that is a fact that cannot be denied no matter how you rubes cherry-pick it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    All these DetroitYes fans with rose colored glasses on that don't realize Detroit is by far the most dangerous city in the universe. Not even third world, I'd label Detroit fifth world. Yes, you can get robbed in the city of Detroit right inside the police station. I wouldn't go to that God and devil forsaken place if I was paid $10 billion to. The crime rate is so high there that it spills 2 miles outside its borders in all directions. Kids don't go to school to learn to be architects, lawyers, doctors, or accountants. They go to school to learn to do drive-bys, car-jackings, muggings, home invasions, and oh yea, to throw up gang signs. You guys continue high-fiving eachother in celebration of Detroit's singular neighborhood ranking #23 on an obviously flawed list. You guys are in complete denial and it's not helping Detroit one bit. NOT ONE BIT!!! Meanwhile before the day is out ten people will probably be killed, 50 will be raped, 100 robbed, 500 will have their front door kicked in, etc, etc. And where will the police be? Hiding in a safe neighborhood at a doughnut shop in Taylor.
    If that's the way you feel about our city, why do you read this forum? Why do you bother to post? I may not be the best representative of Detroit, I now live in the suburbs, but I love my home town, and I'll defend her any time against people like you!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I'll agree with Crumbled Pavement. Just because you see what you want to see doesn't make it true. Detroit is one of the most dangerous cities in N. America [[I don't include Mexico), that is a fact that cannot be denied no matter how you rubes cherry-pick it.
    Oh man, you really took that bait. You do realize that he was being facetious, don't you? We can finally remove all doubt that your opinions will never be relevant.

dexterferry Guest

must be all those urban explorers coming down from oakland county having turf wars in the packard plant. "bitch, my flickr stream has way more hits than yours!"

"yeah well, your youtube videos are POORLY EDITED!"

in all seriousness, there are some shady clubs around that area. but this is also pretty close to the Farnsworth street farming community that has done some pretty amazing stuff for the neighborhood.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    If some of you are wearing rose colored glasses, surely this poster must be wearing glasses with a nice shade of dark grey lenses.

Some people will bitch about anything positive about Detroit.

If you don't like it, move to someplace that has a Cheesecake Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    must be all those urban explorers coming down from oakland county having turf wars in the packard plant. "bitch, my flickr stream has way more hits than yours!"

"yeah well, your youtube videos are poorly edited!"

lolz!! Lolz!!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    If some of you are wearing rose colored glasses, surely this poster must be wearing glasses with a nice shade of dark grey lenses.
    And you're wearing glasses that make you not understand sarcasm.

On second thought, maybe it's not just the glasses.

MIRepublic Guest

This board is an absolutely horrible place, and one that's gone way down hill, lately. Crumbled was obviously being facetious, and every single thread I've clicked on, today, is a complete train wreck. Really, W T F?! God, anyone that wants to give Metro Detroit the benefit of the doubt finds that their worst fears are legitimized in every other post on this board. What a social hell-hole.

Eh. This list is a bit sketchy to me.

I'm fairly familiar with the "neighborhood" in St. Louis that it listed. First of all, that's not a whole neighborhood, it's part of Downtown West. Secondly, I don't see how that area is more dangerous than the urban prairies of North St. Louis. After NHL Games people are milling around that area. Union Station is around that area. There's some residential in the northern part of that neighborhood, and the very northern part of that area is in some sketchy parts, but I question their data overall. And the area they highlighted wasn't a neighborhood itself. Neighborhoods are defined by the city or grow up on their own. Walletpop can't just pick a random group of streets and call it a neighborhood.

This list doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    ...and every single thread I've clicked on, today, is a complete train wreck.
    Talk about bad timing.

I lived in Detroit all my life and never been robbed, stabbed, carjacked or even been unsafe at night. Maybe im lucky....but i have lived in atlanta, langston,Ok, and chicago and been robbed, held up at gunpoint and the worst part ....my house been broken into TWICE in rural oklahoma. I feel more safe here than any other city i haved live in. Stop bashing Detroit because your parents wont allow you to move into a cool loft in Midtown. Stay in your cookie-cutter neighborhood while I walk around in a neighborhood filled with mixture of beautiful homes, wonderful retail, Universities, Museums,thriving cultures, and a strong sense of diversity that is unbelievable. Now Detroit do have some issues in most parts, but its not as bad as people make it. We are a city in progress, not a fully developed city like NewYork and Chicago. They've been in our same situation....or not worse!

Being broken into twice in Langston Ok, may not be so unusual......

According to city-data.com, Langston OK is much poorer and younger than Detroit. Median income is 20k vs. 28 k. and average age is 20 rather than 30. When you have lots of youth around, especially those that are poor, you often have lots of property crime.......

Also, I believe it is a college town. There are some people with nicer possessions which are often in public view. Thefts are not uncommon. I had occassion to know some homeless people in Ann Arbor where petty theft was their third source of funds [[after panhandling and SSI).

One would be nieve to deny the crime in the city, stats speak for themselves , however, with the exception of a couple of years I have lived in the city , downtown , for18 years now. I have also lived in other cities, [[ Toronto, Chicago, Windsor etc). I have had zero crime issues here, I have always been careful to live in a place where me and my car is protected [[ Highrise co-op or security guarded neighborhood) . I do run /walk everyday all over downtown, constantly walk to activities downtown at night and have never had an issue with anyone. When living in other cities I did live in what was "good" areas but they were exposed areas. The result, four car break-ins, two house invasions. It is very possible to live "in Detroit" and do quite fine if you do your homework. Also,the area I live in [[lafayette Park)is quite affordable. Reading some of these mis informed posters on here indicate that is not possible. Im living proof , that with some caution, its very easy to do.

If CrumbledPavement's post was supposed to sarcastic I guess I'm getting too old to recognize it. I read this forum everyday, and I don't think I remember any post from him/her that had anything positve to say about Detroit.

Just wondering if I need to visit my opthamologist or not.

I don't understand why people are on this forum if they have nothing positive to say about Detroit

Sure we have our problems. . but what cities don't these days

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    If CrumbledPavement's post was supposed to sarcastic I guess I'm getting too old to recognize it. I read this forum everyday, and I don't think I remember any post from him/her that had anything positve to say about Detroit.

Just wondering if I need to visit my opthamologist or not.
    Most of his posts are sarcastic. He makes a serious post every once in a while.

Do you think Omaha is a real conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Most of his posts are sarcastic. He makes a serious post every once in a while.

Do you think Omaha is a real conservative?

Omaha? Did I miss something in this thread about Omaha?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast