Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Onion Roll Deli Closed for Remodeling?

Anyone hear about this? Any idea when they will re-open if at all?

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Anyone hear about this? Any idea when they will re-open if at all?
    I drove by and saw a For Lease sign on the window. And two phone calls to their old number have been met with "This number is no longer in service".

So it seems as though the Onion Roll, as we knew it in weeks before is no longer.

I can't believe it. Fortifying rolls with the restorative power of onions? Who could say no?
    Name:  onion.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  8.9 KB

This totally sux! Where do I go now for a quality corn beef sandwich that does not scimp on the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I drove by and saw a For Lease sign on the window. And two phone calls to their old number have been met with "This number is no longer in service".

So it seems as though the Onion Roll, as we knew it in weeks before is no longer.
    Huh.........Hard to believe, that place was always busy at lunch. Those two Russian guys seemed like damm hard workers. Something must have happened, thay had to have been making money at that place.

Oak Park has always had good corned beef places.

Star Deli 12 Mile W of U.S. 24.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Star Deli 12 Mile W of U.S. 24.
    Much like the Onion Roll was, Star Deli has crappy parking, is a dump and creates fabulous sandwiches. But it's carry-out only.

Bread Basket at Lincoln and Greenfield?

There is also a new Bread Basket [[I believe different owners) at 12 and Southfield.

Also, I believe there is an Al's Deli somewhere on Woodward in Royal Oak but have never tried it. I believe this Al's has the same owner as the 12 and Southfield Breadbasket.

There is always Stage Deli on Orchard Lake between 14 and 15, however in my opinion they are way overpriced.

The former Prentice chain now called Epiqurian [[sp?) has some decent delis [[Deli Unique in Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield and Novi) and Plaza Deli on Northwestern Hwy and 12 Mile in Sfld.

I think there's a whole chain of Bread Baskets but the one on Greenfield is a stand alone. There's one on 8 Mile between Dequindre and Ryan too, across from the Popeye's.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Bread Basket at Lincoln and Greenfield?

There is also a new Bread Basket [[I believe different owners) at 12 and Southfield.

Also, I believe there is an Al's Deli somewhere on Woodward in Royal Oak but have never tried it. I believe this Al's has the same owner as the 12 and Southfield Breadbasket.

There is always Stage Deli on Orchard Lake between 14 and 15, however in my opinion they are way overpriced.

The former Prentice chain now called Epiqurian [[sp?) has some decent delis [[Deli Unique in Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield and Novi) and Plaza Deli on Northwestern Hwy and 12 Mile in Sfld.

I went to Star Deli last night and had the New Yorker, it was awesome but I did have to eat in the car with the AC blasting and coleslaw falling all over the place.

Square Lake Deli also makes really good sandwiches with home made tasting bread and melt in your mouth tender lean brisket, they are open for lunches mostly and a few evenings per week.

The place on Mound and 8 Mile, Mickey D's, has some decent corned beef sandwiches and reubens, on either rye or an onion roll. And reasonable prices for what you get, too.

The Bread Basket at Lincoln and Greenfield is the real deal. The chain of Bread Baskets [[including the Southfield Rd location) are simply not as good. Smaller sandwiches, no bread with your soup, etc.

There's always Mudgies!

This totally sux! Where do I go now for a quality corn beef sandwich that does not scimp on the meat?

Since the Bread Basket has already been mentioned I'll add Louie's Ham&Corned Beef in the Eastern Market. Good sandwiches,imo,&they're not stingy with the meat.

Isn't the Bread Basket on Woodward in Palmer Park the original? I think their sandwiches are big.

Stromberg2

Bode's corned beef house in Plymouth rocks! And if you are ever there when the train flies by you will rock too!

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    The place on Mound and 8 Mile, Mickey D's, has some decent corned beef sandwiches and reubens, on either rye or an onion roll. And reasonable prices for what you get, too.
    With all due respect, they do not serve Jewish style corned beef there.
    I like Mickey D's [[busy, friendly place) but their corned beef ain't the same as the Jewish deli's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    Much like the Onion Roll was, Star Deli has crappy parking, is a dump and creates fabulous sandwiches. But it's carry-out only.
    Onion Roll was better then Star Deli in my opinion. Star is very good, Onion Roll had the best Rueben I've had outside of New York.

Onion Roll was a dump, but, I liked eating at the counter there. The skinny Russian guy was always friendly, the other guy usually didn't talk much.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Huh.........Hard to believe, that place was always busy at lunch. Those two Russian guys seemed like damm hard workers. Something must have happened, thay had to have been making money at that place.
    I believe Alex & Alex were both Ukraine and not Russian.

There is an orange 'Notice of Seizure' on the door now, looks like these guys weren't paying thier taxes.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; July-19-12 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammar

There is an orange 'Notice of Seizure' on the door now, looks like these guys weren't paying there taxes.
    Taxes? Only the little people pay taxes! - QoM Leona

The deli next to the custard shop on the east side of Woodward just south of 14 Mile has a good rep. I keep meaning to try it. It does indicate Bread Basket ties.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    The deli next to the custard shop on the east side of Woodward just south of 14 Mile has a good rep. I keep meaning to try it. It does indicate Bread Basket ties.
    Yes, BB website lists Al's deli as one of thier chains.

FYI...
    New Owners to Revamp, Reopen Onion Roll Deli

http://royaloak.patch.com/articles/new-owners-to-revamp-reopen-onion-roll-deli