Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I want to vacay at a cabin "up North"

Now, don't ask me where "up North" is, lol. But a lot of my kids' friends all go "up North" ever so often, to different locations [[I'm assuming). They mostly own cabins or probably have timeshares. Once, one friend took my youngest son and he had a good time and has been talking about it ever since. My neighbors pack up their house and go about once every couple of months.

So now my kids are begging me to do a trip up North as a family trip, but I don't know where to start. Is there a guide or something for how to plan? I can't buy a cabin, but I could rent. I have no idea where to go though, there's different places that they all go to, Lake This and Lake That.

Any suggestions on how to plan such a trip?

I tried a google search of vacations in Northern Michigan and found a lot of listings, but if anyone has any suggestions of places they've been or heard about [[reasonable prices) then I'd appreciate that too!

A possibility:

I've not stayed there yet. Right on Lake Huron and the price is really reasonable.

"Beachfront rental cottage - Open now through Halloween. Amenities include firepit on the sand, gas grill, hammock, kayak and rowboat. Umbrella table and chaise on the deck. Full view of the lake from both cottage and deck. One bedroom/one bath yet sleeps up to seven with the 7th person on a cot. Fantastic sunrises, reflective sunsets and night sky. Waterfowl, freighters and the occasional bald eagle. Listen to the waves from your bed. Million dollar view for $70/night."

Edit: I removed link just in case the owner does not want it too "out there" on the internet. I will share it via PM if anyone is interested. : )
    Last edited by Sis; July-15-12 at 03:15 PM.

OMGosh that is beautiful! And $70 a night is ridiculously affordable! I've been stuck drooling over these places for the past hour. I don't know why I never even considered doing this, now I'm excited. I always assumed the people going were just rich or something, but I've been searching and seeing weekly rentals for about $1000, or even a month at $3000. My kids often get invited to go along with others, but I never understood that its basically just a house so you can accomodate a few people for basically the cost of extra groceries, not like staying in a hotel and having to pay for every person.

Now we are planning for each of the kids to take an additional person, so we need to sleep about 7 exactly. I'm looking for a place where I can bring my two small dogs too.

Thanks for that tip, Sis. I'm going to explore that further! I'm also thinking of trying to book ahead for a couple of weeks to a month, for next summer.

You're welcome! There is also this: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...5746--,00.html

It is further away and more expensive but it is bigger and looks very nice. No pets is a problem though. Not right on the water either.

The one is Au Gres looks tiny but that is an up north cabin to me. No TV, no wifi, everyone plays games or plays at the beach together and sleeping arrangements can be more to a room than you are used too.

If that doesn't work out for you...check here

http://www.lakesrentals.com/

It is on the west side of the state near Big Rapids. Lots of rental homes in the Canadian Lakes area....7 beautiful lakes, golf, tennis, etc. We used to go there every year.

We used to go to Lexington every summer for a few years, loved it up there. It's on Lake Huron, not all that far North of Port Huron, at most a 2 hour drive from the city. We went to a place called Kozma's Cottages, and they were definitely NOT like homes, but like cabins. Running water and full kitchen if I rememebr right, but no AC, not fancy at all. Don't even know if they're still in business. I stopped in there 10 years ago and they were, but who knows now. No idea what the price would be. But that is a very nice area.

If you can find a place on Littlefield Lake in Farwell Michigan I highly reccommend. I grew up there in summers, my mom n pop lived up there until recently. Half the lake is state land which means its not crowded. Small town and only 3 hrs away. If interested you can IM me and Il make a call for you to see what I can find.

For 35 yrs. going up north to me meant the UP.

If you've never been there, be prepared for awe & wonder.

The area roughly boundered by Newberry, Paradise, Grand Marais & Munising is a nice place to start.

If you have a defined place and special features you wish to have, figure out who the local realtors are and ask them. Often they broker rentals and certainly know the scene well.

I just returned from a short vacation along Lake Huron and saw many places for rent from Au Gres to Tawas [[ I'm sure there are many more places north of that . ) It depends which side of the State you prefer , I prefer the big lakes . You could reserve an A frame or a mini cabin at a State Park while you look for something else . Either way people reserve way in advance . I remember reserving an A frame cabin at Tawas Point State Park in January , but some are available in August this year .
    http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchPark.aspx

by the way Tawas Point State Park has clean beaches , the DNR has fishing classes , crafts , nature classes for the kids along with tours of the lighthouse and lighthouse keepers quarter , the lighthouse is still operational by the U.S. Coast Guard

How much is generally cost for a cabin through the DNR? I checked the above link and really didn't see any prices.

Stromberg2

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...tagesandcabins

help making reservations
    1-866-561-9703

If you can do rustic, I've been at these a few times, and really enjoyed the lake and the solitude/privacy provided. Just a few minutes from Mackinaw City

http://www.wildernessstatepark.net/cabins.htm

I own a cabin in N Michigan. I have a love hate relationship with it.

Since I have so much invested into it, I need to justify it and use it. This keeps me away from planning other vacations. I should have seen a lot more of the US than I currently have, but I am working on it slowly.

After owning this for 13 years it seems to be tie me down a lot. There is always something that needs to be fixed or repainted.

It is not a rental as it is a mid-century masterpiece with a wild overhanging roofline, knotty pine walls and even a knotty pine cathedral ceilings.

If you want to go "up north", check out Superior Shores Resort, Ontonagon, Michigan. The rates are reasonable, kayaks, firewood and quiet. The owners, Don and LInday are very nice folks and take care of their clientele.

we have a place in Port Austin..its a straight shot up Van Dyke easy as pie to get to. About 2 hours and 20 minutes away depending on your driving speed. Beaches, HUGE Ice Cream cones nearby in Grindstone, Little shops, Fishing, great sunsets, The beach at Sleeper State park is perfection, sandy dunes, warm water, shallow enough for kids deep enough for adults.
    http://www.portaustinarea.com/index.htm